Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Port Vale

Not holding out much hope for this one to be honest, but nobody said being a Vale fan was easy.  My team providing they are available would be

Scott

Smith            Brisley.          Crookes 

Gibbons  Conlon   Worrall.   Hurst

Taylor

Guthrie.             Rodney

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was absolutely no need to call carol a bitch. That's shameful on your part

I feel desperately desperately sorry for Carol 

Don’t see why we sacked Askey to not appoint anyone. I honestly think we’d have done better with him still in charge.

Posted Images

Watching the Wycombe v Spurs game and wow, they look well organized. If Akinfenwa can play for them in the Championship along with numerous other ex league 2 legends, then a decent manager can get the likes of Robinson and McKirdy being decent in league 2.

Watching such a well organized Wycombe team with many familiar faces from Vale fixtures from years gone by shows we need to get the right new manager in without delay! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Watching the Wycombe v Spurs game and wow, they look well organized. If Akinfenwa can play for them in the Championship along with numerous other ex league 2 legends, then a decent manager can get the likes of Robinson and McKirdy being decent in league 2.

Watching such a well organized Wycombe team with many familiar faces from Vale fixtures from years gone by shows we need to get the right new manager in without delay! 

I'll never ever know why we never signed Grimmer permanently. 

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I'll never ever know why we never signed Grimmer permanently. 

I remember his excellent early appearance away at Brentford way back. I mean to be fair, Fulham wanted him and he did make 13 appearances there.

1 minute ago, TJHValiant said:

I remember his excellent early appearance away at Brentford way back. I mean to be fair, Fulham wanted him and he did make 13 appearances there.

Yes true but then was it Shrewsbury ? We ought to of been in like a shot. 

Since then we've had Lawrie Wilson and Zak Mills !! 

• Like 1

Advert:

2 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

In league 2 yes, but were we not in league 1 with Grimmer? At the time or around then we soon had Freddie Veseli who was arguably more versatile. 

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Yes that’s right, he was loaned out there and equally impressed. They wanted him too. I just guess Fulham felt they wanted to keep him. 

18 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

In league 2 yes, but were we not in league 1 with Grimmer? At the time or around then we soon had Freddie Veseli who was arguably more versatile. 

Now there's a name I'd forgotten.

He was decent .

Really want to see 2 up front tomorrow. The problem IMO is that I don’t think we have the centre midfielders to play 442. The 2, for me, who might be able to dominate and control a game in CM are Conlon and Manni together. Any combination of the other partnerships can’t.

Therefore, leaves a 442 diamond or 352. Can’t see either of these being used, even though we probably have the players for both.

So, an Askey 433 it’ll be then. Like this:

Brown

Mills   Smith   Bris   Fitz

Joyce

Taylor      Conlon

Wozza    Guthrie     Hurst

When fully fit would go:

Brown

Gibbo   New CB  Bris   Monty

Wozza  Manni  Conlon  Hurst 

Guthrie   Rodney/Cullen

Advert:

46 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Now there's a name I'd forgotten.

He was decent .

Indeed and went on to play in Serie A and at the Euros. Still got a decent career going in Italy

22 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Really want to see 2 up front tomorrow. The problem IMO is that I don’t think we have the centre midfielders to play 442.

I'm with you I would like to see us employ 442. Its a tight pitch up there so even if we are outnumbered in midfield the wide players should be able to tuck in enough to cover the spaces. 

I disagree with the midfield though. I do think Conlon and Taylor have enough energy and are good enough to play as a two. Conlon sitting in pulling the strings, with Taylor the box to box man.

Assuming we are still struggling with the injuries players I would go 

Brown

Gibbo Brisley Smith Crookes

Wozza Taylor Conlon Hurst

Cullen Guthrie

Edited by MBE

All the noises from Pugh and Sinclair in their interviews indicate they don’t want to throw Gibbo in too much and lose him again. That’s wise I think.  Is Monty back tomorrow though? 

Not sure about Taylor in a centre mid of 2? One day, not yet?

Anyway?

I feel that if we play 433 tomorrow (and heaven forbid Saturday versus Southend) then why did we (or the players) bother getting rid of Askey? 

Just feels like, in terms of the way we set up, there’s no change. 

Advert:

Every time we have a game, my initial thoughts are ‘this will be the game where we finally find our form’ and as a lot of fans, feel optimistic. 

Unfortunately, I’m still waiting and even though my heart says we’ll win, my head says a defeat. But not just simply a defeat, another defeat in the guise of those under Askey.

I can’t take another lacklustre performance. Am going to say a prayer asking for positive changes to be made for tomorrow’s match and on going. 🙏 2 up front with a more direct style.

7 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Every time we have a game, my initial thoughts are ‘this will be the game where we finally find our form’ and as a lot of fans, feel optimistic. 

Unfortunately, I’m still waiting and even though my heart says we’ll win, my head says a defeat. But not just simply a defeat, another defeat in the guise of those under Askey.

I can’t take another lacklustre performance. Am going to say a prayer asking for positive changes to be made for tomorrow’s match and on going. 🙏 2 up front with a more direct style.

Know exactly what you mean just hope they dont throw the kitchen sink at us from the off and wer'e on the backfoot and give a yet another gutless performance.

I have to admit I have no idea who’s available so don’t know what my team would be. Maybe:

Brown

Gibbo-Brisley-Crookes-Monty

Joyce
  Worrall-Taylor-Conlon

Guthrie-Cullen

Think I’d go 4-1-3-2 and drop a winger so have a narrower midfield to stop us getting swamped and have the full backs push on, so we’re almost 3-5-2 in possession.

Scunthorpe is one of those trips you dread. As from the League Cup win with Mills and Robinson’s goals (!!!) I can’t remember anything positive about our trips there.

I cannot for the life of me getting anything if we play like Saturday, but expect another narrow and frustrating 1-0 defeat.