onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Port Vale

Fosse69

It needs basics. We have the positive of key players returning in Gibbons, Manny and Monty...

If Dave is only a short term injury having those back is massive. Gibbons aside that attack of Manny, Woz, Dave and Manny pushing forward absolutely took Bolton apart... but it’s so rare to get them all fit!

The fixtures after Saturday look awful but as Vale are probably suit us as we can’t break teams down who sit deep, Scunthorpe did us twice by nicking the lead and parking the bus like San Marino would against Brazil.

The issue is when we concede first teams sit back and we huff and puff, we are best against sides more open against us.

Unless we sort the defence out we will struggle attacking wise to claw back the initiative.

We’ve got to try and go back to how we were, maybe the returning players will help that and the lack of Tuesday games going forward may help with the injury issues.

If we are going to get no permanent appointment in until the summer I would seriously consider an experienced head to come in as interim to try and avoid the drop. Micky Adams the obvious candidate for a 4 month stint maybe. At the moment we must stay up by hook of by crook and can’t rely on the hope the National League is cancelled and no relegation/promotion is agreed.

Advert

5 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

4-5-1 would be my option to stop conceding.We are so easy to walk through at the moment.Make other teams work for goals.A few 0-0s wouldn’t be so bad.Concede now and you can see the will to live draining out of the players.

Nil nil  on saturday for me would be bad just look at those games after, where are those points going to come from with the exception of maybe Stevenage at home.  For me we have been playing 4-5-1 bar a few matches and still conceding loads of goals.

42 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

4-5-1 would be my option to stop conceding.We are so easy to walk through at the moment.Make other teams work for goals.A few 0-0s wouldn’t be so bad.Concede now and you can see the will to live draining out of the players.

I’d argue that is what we have been playing. Striker is always isolated. I think we have the right personnel, especially out wide to play 3-5-2/5-3-2. With gibbons and monty. 

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Nonsense. There is nothing going on at the moment “for the good of local community and fans” when the club is getting stuffed week in week out. 

Carol and Kevin bought the club at the amount agreed with Smurfwaite. If I was a businessman I would have waited until the club was in admin again and snapped it up cheap, even if Smurfwaite had sent us down via a points deduction.

People who pay over the odds for things always end up in trouble, unless Carol had a plan to get the club to make more money, which at the moment isn’t happening. If someone buys something 5 times its worth with massive ongoing overheads, they are not a community saviour, they are simply stupid. 

Say I buy a Ferrari worth £50,000 for £500,000 because the previous owner was leaving it to rust and it was a rare asset. If I then use that Ferrari even though it isn’t the appropriate means, to deliver meals to impoverished children, does that mean it is ok because the community benefits? Of course not, you still have an over paid for, expensive car that needs more money to keep going and cost way too much in the first place.

The only man who has done well at Vale in recent times has been a Mr Norman Smurfwaite. He well over £5m from the club and is no doubt cackling with glee at what he managed. 

They are tough times for all fans having to watch this garbage. People are completely entitled to be critical. Fans ultimately own this club, as Smurfwaite found out. No fan support, no club. 

Were you saying all this rubbish last season?  I don't remember.

You think the back three without Leon is strong enough to communicate and move as one? I'm not so sure, but I would love to see 3/5/2

I’d argue that is what we have been playing. Striker is always isolated. I think we have the right personnel, especially out wide to play 3-5-2/5-3-2. With gibbons and monty. 

2 hours ago, 1 said:

There was a position on the official website for an unpaid student tactical analyst (can't remember the title exactly) - and that collated information was sent to the people who decide on first team tactics. Designed as a "route into football".

This is the club's direction at the moment.

So there'll be a thread next season calling for the unpaid student tactical analyst to be sacked

23 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

I’ve always been a fan of 5-3-2/3-5-2 with a lot of width.Id like to see 1 centre midfielder getting forward more using 4-5-1 which always leaves 4.Manny or Taylor? We aren’t tight enough . Through passes instead of crosses.

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Carol and Kevin bought the club at the amount agreed with Smurfwaite. If I was a businessman I would have waited until the club was in admin again and snapped it up cheap, even if Smurfwaite had sent us down via a points deduction.

People who pay over the odds for things always end up in trouble, unless Carol had a plan to get the club to make more money, which at the moment isn’t happening. If someone buys something 5 times its worth with massive ongoing overheads, they are not a community saviour, they are simply stupid. 

Say I buy a Ferrari worth £50,000 for £500,000 because the previous owner was leaving it to rust and it was a rare asset. If I then use that Ferrari even though it isn’t the appropriate means, to deliver meals to impoverished children, does that mean it is ok because the community benefits? Of course not, you still have an over paid for, expensive car that needs more money to keep going and cost way too much in the first place.

I'd say that a woman from a working class background who built a business from scratch that was successful enough for her to be able to waste £5 million on a football club is probably quite good at business but you do you.

I don't think we have the personnel to play a wing back system, namely a central defender who is comfortable on the ball and who can defend space to play as the sweeper. I also dont think playing a sweeper and Joyce in the same team would be a good idea.

We tried it a few times under Aspin and it didn't work.

Im guessing the club is just going to keep quiet until Saturday and pretend like last night didnt happen. 

it would be nice for carol to come out and say its not good enough and we are now looking at potential new managers but lets face it nothing is going to be done. 

we are going down lads everything that is happening around the club points that way and we as are club seem that we are accepting this no desire. 

Atleast smurf wasnt afraid of making big decisions.

Archived