onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Guest Vale at home
2 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Phil Bowers just said we are going through the motions. Hadnt realised we had upped our game.

26 minutes ago, toyahw said:

What? We were crap?

Yeah basically said first half we were really poor, 2nd in every aspect. Mentioned poor defending, heading, tackling ect. Said they had to get angry with them at half time, better 2nd half but tough 2-0 down, happy with the subs. Pretty much spot on. 

Said they need to get back to basics. They’re trying to play at the wrong times and in the wrong areas so they will be focussing on that this week. 

edit. Thought gibbo was excellent and exactly how they want players to play (effort and commitment) wanted to start him but Dosent want him to get another injury 

7 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Yeah basically said first half we were really poor, 2nd in every aspect. Mentioned poor defending, heading, tackling ect. Said they had to get angry with them at half time, better 2nd half but tough 2-0 down, happy with the subs. Pretty much spot on. 

Said they need to get back to basics. They’re trying to play at the wrong times and in the wrong areas so they will be focussing on that this week. 

edit. Thought gibbo was excellent and exactly how they want players to play (effort and commitment) wanted to start him but Dosent want him to get another injury 

So why were we so poor first half?  Surely it is the managements job to make sure we aren't? 

They’re trying to play at the wrong times and in the wrong areas

All the wrong notes - André Previn on The Morecambe and Wise Show 1971 Christmas special - YouTube

1 hour ago, butt lane vale fan said:
1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:
Check what I have been saying since November.  A half smart 5 year old could have worked it out.

I think the majority know Sinclair is the issue here. Why, who knows, but clearly Legges tweet show players hate the bloke

Why? Pugh is the (caretaker) manager. He is the one who picks the team.

5 hours ago, valefan79 said:

It's not the formation, it's the players, with an exception of Conlon and to an extent Worrall at the moment, they are just rubbish.  We played 4-4-2 against an awful Grimsby team and got a win, the next 3 games we went 4-3-3 and looked really poor, going back to a more defensive approach, I would still have zero confidence in this spineless bunch to get anything even on Saturday.

It's basically the same set of players, allowing for injuries and a couple of additions, who did well at the beginning of the season playing a 4-3-3, they don't become bad players overnight. Whatever has happened at the moment Vale don't appear to be playing as a unit and are far too open at the back especially in a 4-4-2. Vale continue to be caught by the long punt downfield, whatever system is played, leaving a 1:1 or a 2:2 which Vale's defenders can't cope with.

The first principle of a football team is to be difficult to beat and then build from there, the starting 11 tonight playing 4-4-2 was too open and Vale had lost after ca 30mins.

Well having watched all the game here are my thought first 24 minutes well in the game the ball pinging around and nothing dropping for the Vale as usual which is annoying then low and behold a long ball and poor play from a certain somebody and we were 1 down which obviously gave a limited but well drilled and excellently organised side there lift off as for Vale it was the kick in the teeth then for about ten mins we were all over the place resulting in yet another poor give the opposition a goal started in the middle of the field like sat with Smith being taken out the play through his own ineptitude ,then I thought we might collapse but then Cullen mis cued a decent chance wide very wide .

So on to the second half and a more in terms of passing the ball to a team mate better performance resulting in a chance for Amoo which he should have buried .

We continued to go  forwards but to no avail as the final ball in no one was gambling get in there and when they did the cross the final ball was not of a standard required so even though we had 63 per cent possession and I felt we deserved something from the game the two first half giveaways roared its ugly head and we ended up with nothing. 

Where do we go from here is anyone's guess but I will tell you this for nothing between them Walsall and Scunthorpe have had about 6 goal attempts and scored 5 over the two games in our recent games and that to me tells me we have a very soft underbelly until you get rid of that soft underbelly what's going change .

Get rid Scunthorpe players did the basics some of ours are not fit play for the George and dragon .

As for Sinclair listened to his interview very spot on assessment of game ,now along with pugh either go back to the jobs you were doing when Askey was here or instill a winning mentality amongst the players or do the decent thing and tell Carol you not up to the job which based on last two defensive performances when you were defenders yourselves have being a disgrace .

I think the majority know Sinclair is the issue here. Why, who knows, but clearly Legges tweet show players hate the bloke
But they didnt like Askey either. Are we not seeing a pattern?

There is far too many wrong uns in that dressing room.

20 minutes ago, osprey said:

We have to stop letting goals in, that’s the first priority. Don’t care if it looks grim and we get a run of 0-0s.

Build from that

When Adam’s first came to manage us, he said his first job was to stop us losing, and he went 5 at the back. And as we grew in confidence, he went to 4-4-2. Maybe there is something in that. 

Archived