Mr Garlick is a decent honourable man, who has worked hard for the club.  He is Carol's advisor on football related matters.

His track record includes appointing Michael Brown on a 2 year contract. Advising Carol to give John Askey a 3 year contract.  He will have recommended the continuation of Danny Pugh as acting manager.

Overseeing and approving the issue of 2 year contracts to Theo Robinson, Danny Whitehead, as well as the further contracts to Zak Mills, David Fitzpatrick, Harry McKirdy. 

Theo was going to sign for Grimsby but came to Vale.  Ian Holloway slated us on social media for the type of contract we gave to Theo in order to tempt him away from Grimsby.  Subsequent events proved Ian Holloway correct.  We are now paying what Mr Holloway thought was a ridiculous salary to a player who cannot play for us.

Danny Whitehead was already under contract to Salford.  We know they are high payers. It begs the question what did we have to do to tempt him away.  His subsequent level of performance would suggest this is another costly mistake.

He has agreed the issue of 3 and 3.5 year contracts to Devante Rodney and Jake Taylor. Much as these are promising, good young players, that I am happy to see at the club, I wonder how many of our contemporaries tie themselves in to such long contracts?  To allow an acting manger to sign a player on a 3.5 year deal is, I suggest, unprecedented in football.

Additionally he has overseen issue of contracts to Leon Legge and Luke Joyce that guarantee an automatic renewal if they play a specific number of games.  This clause is one that means ultimately, when a player is past his best the last year of the contract is a long slow withdrawal where we have to pay for not very much. Or we have the situation of not picking someone just to be rid of them at the end of the season, but we continue to pay them.

He has overseen the appointment of Frank Sinclair. He is a divisive figure. He is vociferous at the side lines, frankly he shouts so much, so loud and shouts meaningless words that I suspect the players will switch off.  His shouting will then become counter productive.

He oversaw the removal of the Ede brothers, but no mention was ever made of their departure, they just went, as far as I can tell.  I am not criticising the decision necessarily, but the manner of its management seems to be incompatible with the reputation as good employers that Carol is, rightly, wishing to instill.

I don't know who appointed Martin Tideswell, but he seems to be another divisive figure. I can say, in my opinion, PR and communication before Mr Tideswell's appointment was significantly better.  When Carol led on communication it was good quality comms. I am not sure what involvement Mr Garlick would have had in Mr Tideswell's appointment.

Fans are free to make up their own mind about how to apportion responsibility for the current situation. In my opinion, there are too many poor quality decisions, that have had a negative impact on the club.  The CEO is responsible for many of these decisions.  He is the advisor to our wonderful owner.  The quality of his advice must now be analysed in fine detail and he should be accountable.  I repeat that I believe Mr Garlick is an honourable well intentioned man. Like everyone, he is accountable for what he has done over a period of time.

• Like 7

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So who else are we going to blame next?  It was Askey's fault.  It's Carol's fault.  It's Pugh's fault.  It's Carol's lad's fault?  Now it's Colin Garlick's fault???  Bloody hell this is crazy.

Would we even be having all this finger pointing if we were 7th in the league and Askey was in still charge?  Probably not - Garlick would then be the steady Eddie behind the scenes helping us to stab

Fed up of this now, it's pointless. The club are facing a relegation crisis, a results crisis and a financial one and people want Colin Garlick gone! He's literally the least of our worries. 

Fed up of this now, it's pointless. The club are facing a relegation crisis, a results crisis and a financial one and people want Colin Garlick gone! He's literally the least of our worries. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

With regard to Martin Tideswell, I seem to remember he is employed by Synectics so Colin Garlick will have had nothing to do with it. 

So he has nothing do with vale, can say nothing and do nothing ? And if he does he can without Colin's say so, because Vale dont employ him.

53 minutes ago, Essex Vale said:

Theo was going to sign for Grimsby but came to Vale.  Ian Holloway slated us on social media for the type of contract we gave to Theo in order to tempt him away from Grimsby.  Subsequent events proved Ian Holloway correct.  We are now paying what Mr Holloway thought was a ridiculous salary to a player who cannot play for us.

On that point Grimsby insisted on a clause that meant a pay cut/freeze if the season was postponed/cancelled due to covid. That is why he came to us instead. The season carries on and looks like it will continue to the end come hell or high water. So no subsequent events did not have not proved Ian Holloway correct. Robinson has been crap for us and Holloway has been crap for Grimsby. Both men have been sacked/deregistered.

It's not Colin's fault if players were signed that the manager does not want or if players do not perform. He isn't the chief scout, he isn't the director football, he isn't the head of recruitment, nor is he the manager.

• Like 1

Advert:

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

And I don't understand your persistent and unpleasant attacks on the bloke when you haven't even spoken to him.  I say again, go and tell him to his face what he's doing wrong so he can put it right. 

I think you're crap at your job as well by the way - not that I've ever met you or know what your job involves.  I just know you're crap at it.

I'm "unpleasant" for questioning the 'job' he's doing at my club?

Why is he exempt from criticism?

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

I could have sworn Carol was responsible for the above decisions except obviously Brown and Aspin.

So why have we got a CEO on the payroll that is "driving forward the football side of the business"

Sounds like we don't need him if Carol is making all the decisions?

5 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I'm "unpleasant" for questioning the 'job' he's doing at my club?

Why is he exempt from criticism?

Informed criticism is fine. 

Edited by Jacko51
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CAVALIER said:

I despair of your persistent postings if <ovf censored> youth. He’s done that as he? You’ve had as much say as him. Like I keep saying, go to the club and ask them. Mouth off to the owners and not on a site which doesn’t represent the whole fan base . What good will it get you? Do you think it’s read and the owners will take notice of you? I’ve a message for you, they won’t. 

I thought this was a public forum to discuss opinions?

Or is free speech not allowed?

Don't read the thread if you don't wish to debate.

4 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Informed criticism is fine. 

It's nothing personal, I want him to succeed. As I do every manager and every player.

I'm sick to death of League Two. I'm sick to death of playing teams that bring 100 fans to VP and beat us. I'm sick to death of going to tiny grounds built from scrap and getting humiliated.

In my opinion, we are not heading in a positive direction and seem destined to repeat mistakes of old again. And I feel it's the job of the CEO to steer us in the right direction.

Advert:

4 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

It's nothing personal, I want him to succeed. As I do every manager and every player.

I'm sick to death of League Two. I'm sick to death of playing teams that bring 100 fans to VP and beat us. I'm sick to death of going to tiny grounds built from scrap and getting humiliated.

In my opinion, we are not heading in a positive direction and seem destined to repeat mistakes of old again. And I feel it's the job of the CEO to steer us in the right direction.

In Industry a CEO carries the weight of the business on his shoulders. It isnt a honorary position but a job with responsibility for controlling the business, whatever that may be.  Do not know the guy and genuinely do not know what he does day to day but in industry it is not a token position. Pats on the back and plaudits when the business is thriving but equally major  responsibility should it fail.

Goes with the territory of the job.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I thought this was a public forum to discuss opinions?

Or is free speech not allowed?

It certainly is, which is why Cavalier is allowed to express his opinion.

• Like 1

Just read that Colin has had Covid too. Bet this thread would have cheered him up if he’d read it. Wonder who he will appoint as manager now and given the short time left in the transfer window, who he will sign?

Strange that the Sentinel are interviewing Carol about the search for a new manager and not Colin. Anyone would think she owned the club!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wrex said:

Strange that the Sentinel are interviewing Carol about the search for a new manager and not Colin. Anyone would think she owned the club!

Or maybe CG, like me, is sat at home with COVID unable to meet with anyone.

Advert: