onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Colin Garlick

valeparklife

1 minute ago, valeparklife said:

Carol and Colin.

He was here the last time we went down the rookie internal option.

That ended well.

Seems we've learned our lesson eh.

I thought it was Colin's fault that we had that long losing run because he didn't want to sack Askey? 

Advert

I thought it was Colin's fault that we had that long losing run because he didn't want to sack Askey? 
Again, I don't understand your staunch defence of Garlick. Apart from he's emailed you a few times?

Garlick stuck with Askey for too long. Correct.
Garlick didn't have a new manager lined up. Correct.
Garlick will appoint Danny Pugh.
Garlick also appointed rookies Michael Brown, Neil Aspin and John Askey. Correct.

Which part of these failures don't you understand?

Where is the leadership right now from your glorious CEO? We're a rudderless ship AGAIN!

I don't know if it's Garlick's fault but I completely understand the logic. In 2017 we went into arguably the most critical part of the season, the January window, with no manager. We had an "interim" in Michael Brown. He then went the rest of the season with no certainty over his position. A disastrous January inevitably led to relegation. 

Fast forward to the present day. We're making the exact same mistake. That's down to a method of recruitment. What is the only consistent between those 2 periods? Garlick.

Carol was a fan during that time. She would have been fully aware of the reasons that led to such a catastrophic failure. And yet, here we are, making the exact same decisions. It's inexcusable. 

We have no permanent manager, we have an interim making long term signings, de registering players, manoeuvring experienced professionals away from the squad with an eye on next season. It's just unacceptable. 

It's as though the position of manager isn't valued at the club. There's no rush, let's give someone with no experience a crack. I'd get that, in August, or October. But January? It's just basic common sense, and I'm just gutted that Carol is making these shockingly bad decisions. If it is Garlick advising this approach, Carol should know, after the 2017 mess, that it clearly isn't the way to go.

Unfortunately any new manager will be stuck now, with a squad devoid of confidence and desire, in a massive rut. We have to appoint experience, but I worry the damage is done.

Again, I don't understand your staunch defence of Garlick. Apart from he's emailed you a few times?

Garlick also appointed rookies Michael Brown, Neil Aspin and John Askey. Correct.

Where is the leadership right now from your glorious CEO? We're a rudderless ship AGAIN!
You can swap his name for Carol for most of those points. He hasn't got the authority to sack a manager. He sits in the same office as the bloke who washes the windows what proper C.E.O. doesn't have his own office.

3 hours ago, dishydave said:

You can swap his name for Carol for most of those points. He hasn't got the authority to sack a manager. He sits in the same office as the bloke who washes the windows what proper C.E.O. doesn't have his own office.

False.

https://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/2020/january/club-statement/

"Colin Garlick, as Chief Executive Officer, will continue driving forward the football side of the business"

Clear as day. He is in charge of football related matters.

I'd imagine decisions would still be made jointly, between him and Carol (and possibly the other directors now) but he is the 'football expert' with a background in football and supposed knowledge of football.

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

False.

https://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/2020/january/club-statement/

"Colin Garlick, as Chief Executive Officer, will continue driving forward the football side of the business"

Clear as day. He is in charge of football related matters.

I'd imagine decisions would still be made jointly, between him and Carol (and possibly the other directors now) but he is the 'football expert' with a background in football and supposed knowledge of football.

Why don't you pop over to Vale and ask if you can have a socially distanced masked chat with him so your can sort him out and tell him what he's doing wrong?

5 hours ago, valeparklife said:

I could have sworn Carol was responsible for the above decisions except obviously Brown and Aspin.

17 hours ago, valeparklife said:

And he's sacked Askey without anyone lined up, opting instead for ANOTHER internal rookie which ALWAYS works out well doesn't it?

I despair.

I despair of your persistent postings if <ovf censored> youth. He’s done that as he? You’ve had as much say as him. Like I keep saying, go to the club and ask them. Mouth off to the owners and not on a site which doesn’t represent the whole fan base . What good will it get you? Do you think it’s read and the owners will take notice of you? I’ve a message for you, they won’t. 

6 hours ago, valeparklife said:

And I don't understand your persistent and unpleasant attacks on the bloke when you haven't even spoken to him.  I say again, go and tell him to his face what he's doing wrong so he can put it right. 

I think you're crap at your job as well by the way - not that I've ever met you or know what your job involves.  I just know you're crap at it.

I think that it is obvious now there is more to the sudden loss of form than a manager (Askey) and his footballing ways. Before the sacking there were rumours of dressing room unrest and 'strange things' happening off the pitch. This is proven more by the lack of an upturn in results or on the pitch form since the sacking of Askey. 

We now have players underperforming to a greater extent, players being de-registered even though they should be pulling this league apart, players posting hidden messages on their twitter accounts,  constant rumours Pugh / Sinclair (smirkgate) and questions about Colin and the owners. In short one huge s**t storm that I have no doubt will lead to relegation this season.

The line of management responsibility should be players, coaches, assistant manager, manager, CEO then owner. The day to day running is the CEO, any disputes that can not be sorted further down the chain should be dealt with by the CEO. If the CEO feels the need to take it further then the owner should get involved or if the owner asks then the CEO should know what is going on. Plans to replace the manager should have plans or ideas of a new manager before the deed is done.

I am not placing the blame on Colin, I think the situation has got too far out of hand now, peoples positions and roles have been undermined so much I think job paranoia has set in. Carol and Kevin must sit down and get to the bottom of this problem and solve it quick. If people need to 'leave' the club for the better of the club so be it. Carol and Kevin have invested a lot in the club both in terms of money, time and reputation. They have won the trust of the fans who have repaid this with season ticket and merchandise sales even in a pandemic when times are hard for everyone. The players at least should go out and play for the shirt and the fans even if they do not like/agree with some politics/situation at the club, they are professional footballers.

The club is in a total mess, the results and on the pitch performance the worsening each game, we will get relegated at this rate.

Mr Garlick is a decent honourable man, who has worked hard for the club.  He is Carol's advisor on football related matters.

His track record includes appointing Michael Brown on a 2 year contract. Advising Carol to give John Askey a 3 year contract.  He will have recommended the continuation of Danny Pugh as acting manager.

Overseeing and approving the issue of 2 year contracts to Theo Robinson, Danny Whitehead, as well as the further contracts to Zak Mills, David Fitzpatrick, Harry McKirdy. 

Theo was going to sign for Grimsby but came to Vale.  Ian Holloway slated us on social media for the type of contract we gave to Theo in order to tempt him away from Grimsby.  Subsequent events proved Ian Holloway correct.  We are now paying what Mr Holloway thought was a ridiculous salary to a player who cannot play for us.

Danny Whitehead was already under contract to Salford.  We know they are high payers. It begs the question what did we have to do to tempt him away.  His subsequent level of performance would suggest this is another costly mistake.

He has agreed the issue of 3 and 3.5 year contracts to Devante Rodney and Jake Taylor. Much as these are promising, good young players, that I am happy to see at the club, I wonder how many of our contemporaries tie themselves in to such long contracts?  To allow an acting manger to sign a player on a 3.5 year deal is, I suggest, unprecedented in football.

Additionally he has overseen issue of contracts to Leon Legge and Luke Joyce that guarantee an automatic renewal if they play a specific number of games.  This clause is one that means ultimately, when a player is past his best the last year of the contract is a long slow withdrawal where we have to pay for not very much. Or we have the situation of not picking someone just to be rid of them at the end of the season, but we continue to pay them.

He has overseen the appointment of Frank Sinclair. He is a divisive figure. He is vociferous at the side lines, frankly he shouts so much, so loud and shouts meaningless words that I suspect the players will switch off.  His shouting will then become counter productive.

He oversaw the removal of the Ede brothers, but no mention was ever made of their departure, they just went, as far as I can tell.  I am not criticising the decision necessarily, but the manner of its management seems to be incompatible with the reputation as good employers that Carol is, rightly, wishing to instill.

I don't know who appointed Martin Tideswell, but he seems to be another divisive figure. I can say, in my opinion, PR and communication before Mr Tideswell's appointment was significantly better.  When Carol led on communication it was good quality comms. I am not sure what involvement Mr Garlick would have had in Mr Tideswell's appointment.

Fans are free to make up their own mind about how to apportion responsibility for the current situation. In my opinion, there are too many poor quality decisions, that have had a negative impact on the club.  The CEO is responsible for many of these decisions.  He is the advisor to our wonderful owner.  The quality of his advice must now be analysed in fine detail and he should be accountable.  I repeat that I believe Mr Garlick is an honourable well intentioned man. Like everyone, he is accountable for what he has done over a period of time.

Archived