onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Colin Garlick

valeparklife

2 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

False.

The CEO is paid to make decisions on the future of the club/business.

How many tea lady's do you know that make strategic business decisions?!

Does the CEO at a football club make decisions about the playing staff other than to say whether or not we can afford them?

Advert

22 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Joe, admit it, you have never liked Garlick because you thought he was in cahoots with our previous owner.  You said as much at that meeting with him at the Smallthorne WMC. 

Jean, that's a blatant misrepresentation and pretty harsh. I have never had a single issue with Colin and have found him a decent bloke when I have chatted to him. 'Never liked' is just flat out wrong.

At that meeting, I asked him one question; as to what his role was under Norman. He had spent the entire meeting/previous weeks distancing himself from the actions of Norman. I asked, and I quote, 'what do you actually do, Colin?'.

His response was, and I quote again, 'my best'. Unfortunately, you've construed a fairly simple question about job remit at a failing club, as an accusation of working conspiratorially with Norman, which thankfully I've never been thick enough to imagine.

I know you like Colin, Jean, but let's not use daft phrase like 'in cahoots' to represent me trying to figure out what Colin's role is as CEO, and you don't need to defend him from every question that is asked of him. The fact we're having the same discussion 2 years on only reinforces the ambiguity as to what his remit is. If he's the club secretary, blimin' well call him it, not 'CEO who drives the footballing operations'. 

23 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

You were happy as Larry and your post history backs that up. There's nothing wrong with that, we all were. Even the bookies fancied us, I think. My point, that I'm not making very well, is that it's easy to call mistakes after the event. You can't guarantee that something will work out in football, there are no certs, everything is a calculated gamble. I mentioned the fans' general approval as people now seem to be saying that there were glaring errors made in the summer, and there weren't. Appointing Askey wasn't deemed a mistake last season, nor was it in the first part of the season. Yet now people are criticising Garlick for that appointment. Weighing up everything, there is no way of realising beforehand that Mills was going to be a disaster. Everything about the signing seemed positive. Now people are saying how stupid it was of Askey/ Carol/ CG to sign him. And so on.

I wasn't happy as Larry! I had a massive post detailing why keeping the same 11 was not a good idea. I went through all the stats which proved successful clubs at this level often have a high squad turnover. I got loads of stick for arguing that 'keeping the same squad and approach as the previous season is not the best idea'. I can remember the exchanges vividly.

I said Robinson was a poor signing and got stick for that too.

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Jean, that's a blatant misrepresentation and pretty harsh. I have never had a single issue with Colin and have found him a decent bloke when I have chatted to him. 'Never liked' is just flat out wrong.

At that meeting, I asked him one question; as to what his role was under Norman. He had spent the entire meeting/previous weeks distancing himself from the actions of Norman. I asked, and I quote, 'what do you actually do, Colin?'.

His response was, and I quote again, 'my best'. Unfortunately, you've construed a fairly simple question about job remit at a failing club, as an accusation of working conspiratorially with Norman, which thankfully I've never been thick enough to imagine.

I know you like Colin, Jean, but let's not use daft phrase like 'in cahoots' to represent me trying to figure out what Colin's role is as CEO. The fact we're having the same discussion 2 years on only reinforces the ambiguity as to what his remit is. If he's the club secretary, blimin' well call him it!

Your memories of that meeting and what was said before it started are different from mine, Joe. 

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I wasn't happy as Larry! I had a massive post detailing why keeping the same 11 was not a good idea. I went through all the stats which proved successful clubs at this level often have a high squad turnover. I got loads of stick for arguing that 'keeping the same squad and approach as the previous season is not the best idea'. I can remember the exchanges vividly.

I said Robinson was a poor signing and got stick for that too.

And you were desperate to sign Maynard who can't get  a regular place in the Mansfield team  and has scored three goals.

10 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

And you were desperate to sign Maynard who can't get  a regular place in the Mansfield team  and has scored three goals.

Two more than Robinson 😉

I understand your desire to defend Colin, Jean, I just don't think he's infallible/without fault, and some people seem to give him absolutely zero agency at the club bar admin tasks, in an effort to excuse him from anything which goes wrong.

25 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

They were signed before he arrived at the club.  He was appointed in October 2016 - all those players had arrived in the summer of 2016 so I can't see how he should have resigned when he hadn't even been appointed.

Fair point, I haven't got a timeline infront of me and was reacting to other posts who stated this.

Okay then, what about the appointments of Michael Brown, Neil Aspin and John Askey? At a time when we were crying out for experience.

We're repeating the same mistakes again with the inevitable appointment of Danny Pugh.

46 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

False.

The CEO is paid to make decisions on the future of the club/business.

How many tea lady's do you know that make strategic business decisions?!

It's not usual for a CEO to make decisions on future positions, it's their job to get the company to the position the owner/s decide they want to be in.

Tea ladies work on the same basic principal. They are told what time to serve and where and it's their responsibility to comply.

It's different if the CEO is the owner or majority share holder.

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

I assume the Synectics staff were brought to improve the commercial aspects of the club. The mechanics of running  a football club is a different subject, I would like to see a diagram of the structure, especially the scouting / recruitment area.

There lies the problem I'm afraid!

44 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Two more than Robinson 😉

I understand your desire to defend Colin, Jean, I just don't think he's infallible/without fault, and some people seem to give him absolutely zero agency at the club bar admin tasks, in an effort to excuse him from anything which goes wrong.

Joe, I've pm'd you my final thoughts on this and will say no more.  And for clarification, I have never said he is infallible.

He can't be blamed for the bruno failure as he didn't join the club until after him so those plans were already in place. As for manager decisions he is limited to a budget that is set by the board who he answers to. C.E.O. is the face of the company but ultimately the big decisions come from above. I'm not saying he doesn't make mistakes of course he does who doesn't but he isn't solely to blame for everything bad.
I think we should start a Robbie Williams thread because we were doing great until he designed the kit.

Archived