onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Colin Garlick

valeparklife

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

If the players are in dispute with the coaching staff I would agree it is a mess but I’m not sure how that is Garlick’s fault. 

I think it's just the idea of a bit of organisation and leadership. I can't believe this situation has reached this point. Such small, solvable issues have snowballed.

If Garlick isn't the man to provide the direction to get us out of this mess, who is? Maybe Garlick is just taking the hit on behalf of the lack of direction at present, but I suppose that's part and parcel of being a CEO (taking the hit, being the shield, articulating the response).

Advert

I thought Legge was all about proving how good the players are and making no excuses - on Twitter. Now people are saying he might not play again? Probably missed it but wtf has happened in that space of time?

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

I think it's just the idea of a bit of organisation and leadership. I can't believe this situation has reached this point. Such small, solvable issues have snowballed.

If Garlick isn't the man to provide the direction to get us out of this mess, who is? Maybe Garlick is just taking the hit on behalf of the lack of direction at present, but I suppose that's part and parcel of being a CEO (taking the hit, being the shield, articulating the response).

As CEO, he should absolutely be taking the hit for the lack of direction.

Google a CEO's job description:

• Developing high quality business strategies and plans ensuring their alignment with short-term and long-term objectives
  • Leading and motivating subordinates to advance employee engagement & develop a high performing managerial team
  • Overseeing all operations and business activities to ensure they produce the desired results and are consistent with the overall strategy and mission

13 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

• Developing high quality business strategies and plans ensuring their alignment with short-term and long-term objectives
  • Leading and motivating subordinates to advance employee engagement & develop a high performing managerial team
  • Overseeing all operations and business activities to ensure they produce the desired results and are consistent with the overall strategy and mission

Is that for a football club or Microsoft?!

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Maybe so. Ed Woodward took massive flak for years from Man United fans but the club kept him in the job.

I'm not hearing much credit coming Woodward's way now United are top of the league but I'm sure the Glazer's know what they're doing employing him as CEO.

35 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Yes, I agree, but that’s not relevant to us surely. 
He will confirm with the owners if we can afford to sign players and sort out all red tape stuff etc.

He won’t scout them, sign them or play them. 
I fail to see why he’s a scapegoat for the mess we are in, and we are in deep mire.

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Is that for a football club or Microsoft?!

Are you having a joke?

Literally applies to both. Driving a business forward/driving a football club forward. 

I'm still waiting on your reply to my question "do you think we're progressing under Garlick?"

The only argument you've made defending him is that he's sent you a few emails once.

34 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Are you having a joke?

Literally applies to both. Driving a business forward/driving a football club forward. 

I'm still waiting on your reply to my question "do you think we're progressing under Garlick?"

The only argument you've made defending him is that he's sent you a few emails once.

We are in a better situation now than we were when Colin Garlick came to the club. 

Would we even be having all this finger pointing if we were 7th in the league and Askey was in still charge?  Probably not - Garlick would then be the steady Eddie behind the scenes helping us to stabilise a push for the playoffs or better, the manager would be doing a great job, the owners would still be getting plaudits for their good work, and the players (who are the only ones who affect our league position on the pitch when push comes to shove) would be "legends".  But we aren't 7th are we? Why? Well, the players have been beaten quite a lot lately, so we ditched Askey, and have players saying they might have done more for him, (thanks lads) and are now in chaos?  Er - I don't subscribe to that point of view.  Too simple, too easy.  

We have managed to get Jake Taylor permanently, (we all agree that getting Taylor back was a good thing, yeah?), signed a mobile young striker to fill in for the absent Pope, and today acquired a young Man City goalie to cover for Visser's injury.  If we could get a swift young centre half, I would say we will have had a decent window, even with a caretaker manager.  We all agree that getting Taylor back was a good thing, yeah? But in the end, it is the players on the pitch that determine our league position.  Blaming coaches, tactics, whatever, makes for entertaining comment on here, but we are 16th because we haven't won as many games as we wanted to since early November.  Even If Sinclair was a tactical genius and respected as a great motivator, if the players can't do it on the park, he may as well not be around. If the players are not up to it, and clearly several are not, or partly fit and being injected with painkillers to get them on the pitch, or played out of position and getting caught out by better opponents, we will lose games.

For me, it is all about getting the right new manager. He will inherit a squad with some promise, but some players past their best, and if he has anything about him, he will sort out the latter and build on the former.  Finances are clearly key in getting the right person, as is our reputation on the circuit, and that is improving after Smurthwaite dragging us through the brown stuff.  Word gets round on the manager and coaches circuit as to where the Richard Head owners are. A new manager will have heard how supportive our new owners are.  Danny Pugh already knows it, but I'm not sure about him, and he hasn't had all the best players available. 

What worries me more is how many of our players are getting and staying injured. I am weary of the comments about "if we had Montano/Manny/insert name here back from injury, we would be a stronger team".  Do we have more injuries than other clubs?  Are we just unlucky?  Shall we blame the fitness regime and physio as well?  

Like most on here, I am concerned that we are going to get dragged into yet another relegation dogfight, because we rarely seem able to field our best team. Even with our best 11, (still not sure what that is, we never seem to have a settled team), I suspect we are not good enough to get to the playoffs anyway. But with the right manager, and a good summer, we might be there next season.  Time for calm heads, not blaming Garlick "because he has presided over us going from league 1 to league 2" - that's a cheap shot given the rubbish he was working with under the last owner, in my humble opinion.      

Archived