onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Colin Garlick

valeparklife

I have spoken to Colin Garlick on a number of occasions and have also had email exchanges with him.  He is a man of integrity and has an excellent reputation in the game.  He kept us legal under the previous regime and was blamed by Gorm for affairs on the last day of the 2019 January window when what the owner said was a complete lie. 

Advert

14 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I have spoken to Colin Garlick on a number of occasions and have also had email exchanges with him.  He is a man of integrity and has an excellent reputation in the game.  He kept us legal under the previous regime and was blamed by Gorm for affairs on the last day of the 2019 January window when what the owner said was a complete lie. 

Do you have confidence in him 'driving the football side of the business forward'?

I think people are making a lot of assumptions about what Garlick does without actually knowing what he does and are looking to replace the entire structure of the club from the players up to the person beneath the board.

The last 2 managers set out to achieve what the club wanted, stave off the threat of relegation and then get us to within a whisker of the play offs. Both Aspin and Askey were backed and allowed to bring in who they wanted in the back room and on the pitch.

But whilst short term those managers did what the club wanted, in the long term it’s not worked out for both of them. But Garlick isn’t scouting the players or picking the tactics, the club can only give the managers the tools they need to work. I’m not sure how much more garlick can do because no one can guarantee the long term success of any manager and tbh on the face of it both of them were working out in the short term and we didn’t envisage the endings that both of them got. 

51 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I'm sorry folks, it's not unfair to at least be asking questions of Colin Garlick considering this is how the club announced his job role only 12 months ago:

https://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/2020/january/club-statement/

If he's described as the CEO and is 'driving forward the football side of the business', then surely, if the football side of the business is in chaos, questions have to be asked at the very least? 

I know some say he operates as a club secretary and laying blame at his door is unfair, but a) why release this statement saying he's the CEO who drives the football side, and b) why not appoint someone who will drive the football side, considering Carol is new to the industry? You can't have your cake and eat it; or, alternatively, you can't be called a CEO and tasked with driving the football side, but then have no agency over football things when football things go awry.

It also says "Want Need Expect" on the shirts. They're all just words, guff and marketing. I wouldn't look too deeply into it.

It's clear that there were other people than Askey involved in the decision making in terms of player and staff recruitment. Particularly as now Askey has gone we are carrying on in the exact same manner as when he was here. But saying who has what influence is just speculation.

Personally, I would speculate that Garlick wouldn't actually be doing much of the "driving" and therefore it would be wrong to blame him for the crash. And no it isn't fair to expect him to demand more power based on what has been said to the Sentinel in old interviews.

There is no "chaos", we've hit a rough patch. The rumour-mongers and people metaphorically running about, hysterically shrieking and wailing may make it look like that but things aren't the disaster that many are painting it to be. We still have probably the best owners in decades, we have a club to be proud of that is financially relatively stable and are currently mid-table. We have a caretaker manager who has so far got WDL and, when fit, a superior squad to the one that many were tipping for promotion.

Having said that, I do think a Supporters Club Meeting would be useful at some stage, if only to counter the stupid <ovf censored> rumours and ridiculous over-reaction.

15 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

There is no "chaos", we've hit a rough patch. The rumour-mongers and people metaphorically running about, hysterically shrieking and wailing may make it look like that but things aren't the disaster that many are painting it to be. We still have probably the best owners in decades, we have a club to be proud of that is financially relatively stable and are currently mid-table. We have a caretaker manager who has so far got WDL and, when fit, a superior squad to the one that many were tipping for promotion.

Having said that, I do think a Supporters Club Meeting would be useful at some stage, if only to counter the stupid <ovf censored> rumours and ridiculous over-reaction.

16th and played more games than those below us isn’t mid table 

What did he discuss with you in these email exchanges?

Why is what he has discussed not public knowledge?

Do you have confidence in him 'driving the football side of the business forward'?
I'm surprised they haven't replaced him yet that's been the pattern with everyone else who held management positions at the club. That's not me saying he should be as I like Colin he's a great bloke and believe he's good at his job.

39 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I'm not ITK at all, but you're fairly wrong on a few instances here. It's far from plain sailing at the club. Chaos maybe a strong word, but 'mess' is nowhere near exaggerative. I'd love to be incorrect here.

15 minutes ago, dishydave said:
1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

I'm surprised they haven't replaced him yet that's been the pattern with everyone else who held management positions at the club. That's not me saying he should be as I like Colin he's a great bloke and believe he's good at his job.

What makes you believe he's good at his job? Genuine question.

We've appointed Michael Brown, Neil Aspin and John Askey during his tenure. We started as a L1 club when he arrived, now we're 16th in L2.

We haven't even heard from Garlick in months. Please Colin, give us some hope that we might get out of this league one day!

We sacked Askey weeks ago and still have no manager. Chelsea got rid of Lampard today and will have a new guy installed before the end of the week. Where is our plan?

We just feel very "reactive" as a club.

Archived