onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Official website: John Jeffers (1968-2021)

News Feed

Advert

Very sad news.
My first memory of JJ was when he was on loan from Liverpool. I think he may have been making his debut because I think he was brought on as a sub. It was a throw in and he ran over towards the incoming ball, looking like he would run with it down the left wing, he jumped into the air and, as he landed, he flicked the ball infield with his head to someone (possibly Beckford) which took every one of the opponents completely by surprise and out of the game. It was a great piece of skill and timing which was obviously just a small taste of things to come.
So many great memories. Liverpool away will always be my fondest memory of JJ. A true Vale legend. RIP

I remember that skill and the look on my dads face when he did it

Thanks for the memories

Fantastic player RIP JJ

There have been plenty of comments posted on the article on the front of OVF here - https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2021/01/john-jeffers-passes-away/

I just wanted to highlight these two from JJ's former teammates:

Simon Mills 20th January 2021 @ 3:01 pm

Totally shocked and gutted, brilliant player, top bloke and a fantastic team mate. Always laughing and a proper scouse sense of humour. R.I.P J.J

Ian Bogie 20th January 2021 @ 3:23 pm 

I only knew John for a short time when I joined the Vale , but he was a lovely lad with a great character and personality to go alongside his undoubted football ability he possessed. Condolences to his family & friends at this sad, sad time. RIP John , you brought a smile to the faces of all you met .

Shellshocked at hearing this terrible news.One of my all time favourite wingers at Vale.Immense skill that would put today's players to shame.Hiw the hell he could beat 4 players and then go back to do it again ,still baffles me. Lovely lad and well respected by all Vale fans.Thanks John for all those exceptional memories and such a sad loss,so young too.Our thoughts go to your family and friends too. RIP 

56 minutes ago, falmouthssoberist said:

16 minutes 15 seconds in

Rip JJJ

X

Absolutely fantastic a team of superstars. Thank you for posting this it’s very fitting. We could have won 6-1. I’m pleased to have been able to witness those games when we were taken seriously. The reason he never played for LFC was because he was under study to some bloke named John Barnes. I have a friend who has always been an LFC season ticket holder and he said that in that period a Barnes was the best player he’s ever seen. RIP JJ.

20 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Absolutely fantastic a team of superstars. Thank you for posting this it’s very fitting. We could have  those were the days.won 6-1. I’m pleased to have been able to witness those games when we were taken seriously. The reason he never played for LFC was because he was under study to some bloke named John Barnes. I have a friend who has always been an LFC season ticket holder and he said that in that period a Barnes was the best player he’s ever seen. RIP JJ.

look :drink:at that pitch!

Ah, that is so desperately sad, and my thoughts are with his family.  Such a gifted player, there was always a buzz when he got on the ball - he had the beating of defenders in an instant, and the crowd loved him.  Rest in glory JJ, you brought so much joy to Vale fans in that era.

Like everyone else on here I'm shocked and saddened by today's news. 

It seems only like yesterday when JJ was plying his trade for us on the left wing. I can still see him on that soggy pitch at Brighton in 1994, helping us to promotion.

Great memories.

But what awful news. No age at all. My condolences to his family and close friends.

He will forever remain part of our Club's rich history.

Just a very good and likeable player. Very sad. No doubt about it, a Vale legend. Even the bloatcake only have good things to say about him. Hope his family are reading all these comments, maybe a small comfort to know how well regarded he was and the pleasure he brought to many. Believe he was also well regarded at Stockers. RIP young man, and thank you for many happy memories.

Archived