onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Planning for 21/22

Joe B

Is Martin Foyle still 'Head of Recruitment' at Motherwell? This is the sort of role we need.
He's clearly well-regarded:
Speaking in September 2019, "Well" scout Martyn Corrigan credited Foyle with bringing a high calibre of players to Fir Park, calling him a "workaholic" with an encyclopaedic knowledge of the English football's lower leagues
Source: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/motherwell-talent-spotter-hailed-fir-20077539
The likes of Trevor Carson, Cedric Kipre, Charles Dunne and former players Louis Moult and Curtis Main have all been recruited for a relative pittance and Corrigan revealed all have had the hand of Foyle searching through their backgrounds.
This is what the club needs. Someone with a remit to coordinate recruitment, ideally with managerial experience at a good level.
They're struggling this season but finished 3rd last season. I'm not saying we appoint Foyle, but someone in that

If we're going for any ex-player as DoF, I'd have Aspin back.

Discovered Vardy, and as has been pointed out several times 85% of our current first team was brought by him. We also just missed out On Mark Sykes (now at Oxford, then in Ireland) and Danny Rowe (before his move to Ipswich) under him.

Advert

11 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Maybe.  Taylor will improve us although he struggled today.  What it shows me is that you need a certain amount of squad churn each season to keep things fresh.  Our first 11 wasn’t really improved upon and many of the players have gone backwards rather than maintain, or improve, their standards.  Conlon and Hurst being exceptions.

And we’ve had key players out through covid, injury or daft suspensions which has put more pressure on the squad players to step up, but clearly the majority of those haven’t been good enough to replace the first choice players missing. Couple that with seemingly nailed on first team signings having gone wrong (Clark, Mckirdey  and Robinson) and it’s all been a perfect storm of disasters. 

13 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Maybe.  Taylor will improve us although he struggled today.  What it shows me is that you need a certain amount of squad churn each season to keep things fresh.  Our first 11 wasn’t really improved upon and many of the players have gone backwards rather than maintain, or improve, their standards.  Conlon and Hurst being exceptions.

Excellent point. You need tangible progress, not one signing has gone into the team and improved it.

The only signing who has been a regular is Fitzpatrick, purely by default because of Montano lack of game time. 

Rather than stagnate you have to get 3 nailed on starters minimum to shake things up.

Even Liverpool have been guilty of stagnation apart from Thiago I don't think they've signed one new nailed on starter.

We need at least 3 probably more first team improvers who play week in week out. Instead we have poor cast offs from the likes of Macc and Oldham and in some cases they were only reserves at those clubs. 

19 hours ago, Joe B said:

Is Martin Foyle still 'Head of Recruitment' at Motherwell? This is the sort of role we need.

He's clearly well-regarded:

Source: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/motherwell-talent-spotter-hailed-fir-20077539

This is what the club needs. Someone with a remit to coordinate recruitment, ideally with managerial experience at a good level.

They're struggling this season but finished 3rd last season. I'm not saying we appoint Foyle, but someone in that mould.

Great spot. Someone like him would be perfect.

I know this is a long shot, but equally Richard Hughes at Forest Green, who is their Head of Recruitment and actually went to Wolstanton High School. He brought in Liam Kitching who was sold to Barnsley for £600,000 this January. FGR are 2nd in the League so he's clearly doing a good job. I wonder if he fancies moving closer to home?!

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/2018/richard-hughes-q-a

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/2018/cooper-praises-player-database-hughes

I dont know why we don't go down the route of what we did around 2001ish with Brian Horton as manager sign alot of young kids aged around 20. Squad was something like this.

Goalkeepers 

Mark goodlad and Dean delaney 

Defenders 

Steve Rowlands, Phil Hardy, matt carragher (rip), Michael Walsh, sagi Burton, rae ingram,Liam burns 

Midfielders 

Simon osborn, John durin, Mark Bridge wilkinson, Ian Armstrong, Neil briscoe, George o callaghan, Michael Cummins 

Forwards 

Stephen mcphee, Stephen Brooker, Billy paynter, Chris killen 

I might have missed some out but there's a good mixture of experienced pros Walsh,durnin, some good youngsters come through our academy Rowlands, paynter and some good youngsters picked up from championship reserve sides Brooker from Watford, mcphee from Coventry Cummins from Middlesbrough.

5 hours ago, PV1973 said:

And we’ve had key players out through covid, injury or daft suspensions which has put more pressure on the squad players to step up, but clearly the majority of those haven’t been good enough to replace the first choice players missing. Couple that with seemingly nailed on first team signings having gone wrong (Clark, Mckirdey  and Robinson) and it’s all been a perfect storm of disasters. 

Absolutely spot on.  Add to that certain first team regulars being well below the standards they set last season.  A perfect storm.  We've had a bit of bad luck with injuries/COVID, (how many times have we fielded our best 11?) but overall our recruitment didn't take the team forward.  My own view is that the thinking was to give the team that did so well last year a chance to see the job through this, and probably add a couple to push us on in this window.  Sadly, form and confidence dipped and here we are.  People are looking for deeper reasons within the club but I think they're missing the point.

Are we doing enough on the training ground? I am not just questioning ‘rugbygate’ and I know it’s been difficult due the weather conditions but are we doing enough?

Yesterday, and maybe other games, it feels like there’s been very little preparation. We go out on the pitch like we’ve never played together both offensively and defensively.

What style of play do the current coaches/managers want to create/instil into the players? What culture have we/are we creating or want to create? More desire, a determination to win and more cohesion. 

Askey has gone but not much else has changed.

I understand we have had injuries, covid issues etc. But we seem a bit clueless at the moment. Reminds me of when Aspin was in charge.

We need to get a grip very soon.

When playing at home, 2 upfront for me but whoever the 2 are need to build a relationship in training and quick.

We need a manager before some players, someone to stamp their authority, feels like we still have some bad blood swilling around the playing/coaching staff, performances are disgraceful even still. The club needs stability and having a ‘temporary set of managers’ does not offer stability.

Roll on a new perm manager, a good shake up! UTV

WE NEED STABILITY CAROL

I know its a bit controversial but the clubs in the lower leagues that generally do well have a rather direct style of play. Its all well and good trying to play like Manchester City but if you don't have the players you are wasting your time. A lot of national league clubs doing well have quite a few six footers. I suppose Cheltenham have a good  approach play a bit of football then mix it up with long throws and set pieces, Toser has quite a few assists. 

17 minutes ago, bomber said:

I know its a bit controversial but the clubs in the lower leagues that generally do well have a rather direct style of play. Its all well and good trying to play like Manchester City but if you don't have the players you are wasting your time. A lot of national league clubs doing well have quite a few six footers. I suppose Cheltenham have a good  approach play a bit of football then mix it up with long throws and set pieces, Toser has quite a few assists. 

I agree, I have been saying for sometime we as a side are far to much a nice tip tappy kind of side, we need to add some leaders and some right hard type players, in league two you need at least 5 or 6 of these with a sprinkling of flair around them in the attacking area’s, We need to add some height and toughness as well in the midfield area as we are to nice in the middle it’s all to similar. Let’s go and find 5-6 streetwise hard as nails leaders who take no messing!

In terms of next season(assuming we don’t get relegated) we need to decide which players we think are good enough to go up a level and keep them and think about letting the rest move on, at the moment for me only Brown, Gibbons, Worrall, Conlon, Taylor, and maybe in the future Hurst & Rodney fit into this thinking, the only other player I’d keep for another year would be Montano and Smith if he bucks up his ideas.

Before next season though I’d like to see some kind of leadership or plan from the club for this season? This starts with finding the right permanent manager to allow him to plan for 21/22 season. Or have we all given up on this season and surrendered!

We have been a soft side for sometime. These harder players need a bit of managing many of the previous managers we have had could not tolerate them. Its left us short of back bone, who do you want next to you in the trenches ? Andy Porter Aspo and the like.

20 hours ago, Walka003 said:

If we're going for any ex-player as DoF, I'd have Aspin back.

Discovered Vardy, and as has been pointed out several times 85% of our current first team was brought by him. We also just missed out On Mark Sykes (now at Oxford, then in Ireland) and Danny Rowe (before his move to Ipswich) under him.

Aspin won’t come back to Vale. 

Archived