Match Thread: Port Vale v Walsall

Advert:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very telling words  I'd really really really love to know why there was neither a minutes silence or a minute applause for the very sad loss of one of our own Charlie and a superb player from our

I'll make some fairly controversial comments here.  We're being let down by the entire club, at present. There is a complete abandonment of anyone to take a decision and sort this chaos out. We'r

Here is the issue. £1m loss due to the pandemic. I accept that. I can accept what she said in the RS interview about the ramifications of it. I don't accept the excuse that a new manager wou

Posted Images

I suppose it depends on what formation we go with. I’m not convinced that Rodney can play the one up front role on his own, but he has done alright for us out wide. Certainly moving him out wide at Forest Green was proved to be the right decision in the end. If gibbo can get through training this week is it too soon to throw him in?  

4-3-3

brown

mills Brisley smith fitzpatrick

taylor   Joyce conlon

worrall Guthrie rodney

4-4-2

brown

mills Brisley smith Fitzpatrick

Worrall Taylor Conlon hurst

rodney Guthrie 

6 minutes ago, vale victory said:

Very difficult to predict who will play now they are tested twice a week

Yes, we just have to hope that the players and staff are sensible and follow the guidelines, but it's still a bit of a lottery.

All things being equal it's 433 again for me.  It served us reasonably well last time, basic individual errors being the reason we lost.  I'm hoping Guthrie will turn out to be the missing piece of the jigsaw as the lone striker.

One we should be looking to win. They’ve been in poor form since the 4-3 and at least the lad that changed the game for them Scrimshaw is no longer there!

Add to that Holden is out for the season so one we need to take advantage on and look to right the wrongs of throwing away a result at their place.

Need to defend corners better for a start than last time! We should of won at their place let alone avoid defeat so hopefully we get the win.

I’d be tempted at 4-4-2 here. Guthrie and Dave up top.

Worrall and Hurst wise hopefully, Hurst tore them up at their place.

Central midfield is the issue though, can you drop Joyce when we never win without him?

Does it mean dropping Taylor in that case.

Hopefully get Gibbo back if ready. Would really boost us.

2-1 Vale here.

Given we have no reserve fixtures should we throw Gibbo in or just give him the last half hour to build up fitness? It’s a big ask to expect players who’ve been out so long to hit the ground running straight away. For example Amoo has struggled after his injury woes this season. 

• Like 2

Advert:

I don't think you can throw someone in straight away if they've missed several months with a bad injury. It's too big an ask for me but we don't know what's gone on in training. He'd be a sub for me and we'd be careful in reintroducing him to the team.

It is very hard to predict a starting XI when we're losing players to Covid, injury and suspension every week.

I'd want us to play two strikers and have a real go at them. But I'm unsure if we have the midfield players who can accommodate that formation.

Does Brisley play or Legge return? Brisley has done ok hasn't he?

I fear Pugh will stick with 433 and shift Rodney wide to accommodate Guthrie, and go much the same as FGR.

I don’t understand why after looking good vs Grimsby with a 442 we’ve now reverted to (Askey) type. If we were going for a smash and grab point on Saturday, OK, but I’d like to see us have a go vs Walsall.

For me:

Brown

Mills Brisley Smith Fitz

Worrall Taylor Conlon Hurst

Guthrie Rodney

Subs: Visser, Gibbons, Crookes, Joyce, Burgess, Amoo, Cullen.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

442 If we play two mobile centre midfielders. 

for me I’d go 352. Don’t rate mills at all and not a fan of Fitzpatrick not sure what he really offers. 

brown

smith. Legge. Brisley. 

worrall. Joyce. Conlon. Taylor. Hurst

rodney. Guthrie 

With Conlon and Taylor pushing on and Joyce sitting 

Only change for me would be amoo for hurst. Both were a little lacklustre at the weekend but amoo could get you a goal. Not sure Hurst will yet. 

Advert:

7 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Probably too young then Joe 

But I've never known a non league team sell the Hamil out like they did when they beat us 5-0 the other season .

I remember the chant,

’We hate Walsall, more than Stoke’

• Like 1

Still break into a sweat when I think of Alan Buckley, got rid of him and then Don Penn seemed to score every time we played them, they were a real bogey side.

Edited by blackdog
  • Like 3

personally i’d go with Legge up against Adebayo. he did well against him at their place. Legge would also wanna avenge that bad 2nd half. Can’t see Brisley and Smith dominating Adebayo. Physically Legge is the stronger of the 3. i’m sure this rest and recuperation has given Legge something to think about. smith and legge still our strongest cb pairing in my eyes 

• Like 1

Thought Smithy did well against FGR's man mountain #14. Brisley has done enough to keep his place for me. Leon can have a bit of well deserved rest for now for me. Keeping those two on their toes from the bench. No disrespect to the bloke, he'll be back.

3 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

I remember the chant,

’We hate Walsall, more than Stoke’

Thought it went "we all hate Stoke and Stoke and Stoke, Stoke and Stoke and Stoke and Stoke. And Walsall."

• Haha 1

Advert:

3 hours ago, toyahw said:

Thought it went "we all hate Stoke and Stoke and Stoke, Stoke and Stoke and Stoke and Stoke. And Walsall."

I remember the other version that playa wrote.

4 hours ago, valiantastic said:

personally i’d go with Legge up against Adebayo. he did well against him at their place. Legge would also wanna avenge that bad 2nd half. Can’t see Brisley and Smith dominating Adebayo. Physically Legge is the stronger of the 3. i’m sure this rest and recuperation has given Legge something to think about. smith and legge still our strongest cb pairing in my eyes 

I can't remember that mate. We conceded four and were shambolic at the back. 

I think we’ll stick with Brisley and Smith.  We’ve got 4 points from the 2 games they’ve been involved in. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 2