onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Walsall

Fosse69

2 hours ago, Fosse69 said:
6 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:
Those were the days I remember the Vale fan who went into the pitch at Fellows Park. As he tried to get back into the Vale end the police had hold of his legs and the Vale fans his arms in a tug of war. Those were the days Tranmere and Stockport away on Friday night.
i know it’s a bit off topic, but can anyone tell me why we played our midweek home games on a Monday night, from memory no other club did this.

I think we played on Mondays because that was our day. Some say it was related to mining and pottery working practices, it was an advantage to work on a Saturday and have Monday off for various reasons don't ask what. Main memory was a cup replay at Stoke ko at 2 or earlier on a Monday afternoon full house at the Vic.

With you saying about the local employment I believe that to be correct with our neighbours who would have a later KO on the Saturday. Tranmere and Stockport because fans would go to watch either the Manchester clubs or Everton and LFC. Torquay home games on Saturday evening KO was because fans were working in hotels on Saturday afternoon.

Advert

Guest Vale at home
18 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Yes! Real bogey side until Micky put them straight a few years back. My own personal trauma was watching them beat us 1-2 at Vale Park on a Boxing Day yonks ago. But we had the last laugh as we signed John Woodward who got both their goals. I was behind the goal at the Bycars end when the winner went in. Not a nice feeling on Boxing Day!

And what bigger incentive than to pay them back for the 4-3 defeat at their place - a game we should easily have won.

Yes I Remember Jonny Woodward . 

Just seen some stats that suggest we're abject at the back. Conceded a lot of chances and they're of a decent quality.

Last 2 games we've looked a bit more solid, only conceding through a flicked-on FK which we needn't have conceded.

Think it's got to be the priority - sort out the defence, get Gibbons back, freshen it up at centre half, and build from the back.

This weekend will be a decent test, as last time we played these we looked a right shambles and shipped 4. 

21 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Yes! Real bogey side until Micky put them straight a few years back. My own personal trauma was watching them beat us 1-2 at Vale Park on a Boxing Day yonks ago. But we had the last laugh as we signed John Woodward who got both their goals. I was behind the goal at the Bycars end when the winner went in. Not a nice feeling on Boxing Day!

And what bigger incentive than to pay them back for the 4-3 defeat at their place - a game we should easily have won.

I'd been watching them beat us home and occasionally away for about 13 years before we beat them in about 86. Think it might have been 4 1. Earle scored a daisy cutter from 25 yards. It was one of his first games in central midfield. I always thought a draw was the best we would every get against them.

4 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

And when you do its behind the action due to time lag. The radio will be glued to his ear.

If this is the case then, Wow I admire Pugh what an adventurous and radical individual. He’s got Covid symptoms and he thinks that by gluing a wireless to his head he’s going to solve the problem.

12 hours ago, THE DAD said:

I thought we lost 2-1 that night after a 0-0 draw at home on the Sunday. If I remember a good crowd of over 11000 at Vale 2500-3000 Walsall fans. Also remember a a 5-0 battering in the cup later. I'm sure Nicky Cross & David Kelly up front for them emoji852.png

May be so mate. I just recall the GK blunder, or as we all thought a foul on him, and the fact we lost again. 

Remember the bogey side matches of course back to 50s / 60s but in more 'recent' times when Paul Merson was player / manager I remember Merson receiving a long high diagonal ball on the half way line railway side and killing the ball on his thigh. Even the Paddock applauded. Afterwards on the opposite side he chased a ball going out of play at Lorne Street couldnt get there and did a drunken legs as he ran after it. Even Lorne Streeters laughed. We won I seem to remember.

9 hours ago, darren1810 said:

He'd think that the game was being played at Dimensions. Gets mentioned often enough. 

I used to drive Johnny’s mum to the Vale. She lived up Gillow Heath. John was a Vale fan but didn’t he go Stoke then Walsall? Good bloke, bad back finished him. 

16 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

If this is the case then, Wow I admire Pugh what an adventurous and radical individual. He’s got Covid symptoms and he thinks that by gluing a wireless to his head he’s going to solve the problem.

Don't think Pugh has said anything, its just posters speculating how he could keep tabs on the game and issue instructions.

Archived