onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Robinson de registered

Mario

Advert

58 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

32 isn’t that old for a keeper and Visser is on only a 1 year deal. A league 2 keeper, if decent could keep going until 40. I think Visser is a great back up, from what I have seen, if Brown did get injured, I’d feel he would be a satisfactory replacement. I can’t say we’ve had a reserve keeper who I’d be comfortable with in recent years at all. 

I agree for the first time we have two decent keepers at the club,Brown wont go on forever at Vale so maybe Visser is just waiting for his chance in the league.

The concern is that have we got any decent young keeper coming through

I agree for the first time we have two decent keepers at the club,Brown wont go on forever at Vale so maybe Visser is just waiting for his chance in the league.
The concern is that have we got any decent young keeper coming through
I personally fail to see the point of having a young keeper warming the bench with no first team or reserve league to bring them on.

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

I think the lack of a reserve league these days has caused huge problems, had Robinson been able to play his way in the reserves into form then perhaps we would not even been debating his position. Instead he very well may rot on the bench for a year. I don’t see him willing to go non league.

True, also players coming back from injury have no reserve games to be able to get some match fitness into them. 

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Lincoln? Vale? Motherwell? Southend? He’s trash. His record is about 1 in 6 over the last 5/6 years. 

But his record at Colchester and Swindon is the most recent and he scored 18 league goals in 34 starts and 18 sub appearances there. That is the most relevant part of his career, not what he did 3 or more years ago surely.

14 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

But his record at Colchester and Swindon is the most recent and he scored 18 league goals in 34 starts and 18 sub appearances there. That is the most relevant part of his career, not what he did 3 or more years ago surely.

Most relevant is what he’s done at vale. He’s awful and has proven to be awful twice for vale. 

I personally fail to see the point of having a young keeper warming the bench with no first team or reserve league to bring them on.
I think we should keep Visser and get a young keeper as well next year and ship him out on loan in the national league to get some experience.

On 16/01/2021 at 15:35, TJHValiant said:

Daft decision. Guthrie is not likely to be much better and will be gone soon, yet Robinson still has another year on his deal. Nobody else will take him easily (surely we offered him as a swap to Bradford for Guthrie) so we keep paying his wages while he gets increasingly unfit. 

Not a daft decision. We had to make space in the squad to accommodate Guthrie - it doesn't mean he will be moving on after the season closes - he may have been offered a longer-term contract if he proves himself / settles well? Meanwhile Robinson has had several chances to do exactly that, and hasn't done it. I suspect he will move on, shortly, either for a small fee or just to get his wages off the books. Whichever, I doubt Tom Pope will be fit enough to play again until late March / early April, so an alternative had to be brought in because Theo - for whatever reason - didn't step up for us.  

8 hours ago, robf said:

This calls another of Askey's summer moves into question...

I know Dino Visser has done well and done nothing wrong but there's still questions whether a 32 year-old is a long-term successor for Scott Brown. Many people were expecting a young gun who could challenge.

I think the point here is that Dino is 3 years younger than Scott...therefore, when Scott decides to hang up his gloves, or we release him, we have a decent keeper who can give us 3 years in which to bring in a younger player, always supposing Dino doesn't have to retire early?

Also - Visser has been better than any of Michael Brown's replacements during that very embarrassing time period!

Archived