onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Robinson de registered

Mario

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Even if Guthrie proves to be wonderful (Robinson started off promisingly with a goal) we still have Robinson for a long year ahead unless we pay him off...

He will be taken on by another club,has a very good scoring record at this level just not for us

Advert

I'd be surprised if Robinson hasn't been signed by someone by next week
I suppose it will depend if someone is prepared to offer him a similar wage despite the fact he has gone from a first choice striker at Colchester to not being registered at Vale.

At his age money will be a big factor unless he sensibly made investments in his championship days.

33 minutes ago, robf said:

Just going off on a tangent here...

This calls another of Askey's summer moves into question...

I know Dino Visser has done well and done nothing wrong but there's still questions whether a 32 year-old is a long-term successor for Scott Brown. Many people were expecting a young gun who could challenge.

With that in mind (and hopefully no disrespect to Dino who's been very good) if a young keeper (or indeed a loanee) had been brought in then that would have meant another place in the League squad wouldn't have been used up on a reserve keeper. 

Very good point Rob. This summer's business is compelling evidence that the recruitment structure needs a complete re-think. It's probably cost us this season, and will require a lot of work this summer if we're going to challenge again. It cost Askey his job, and probably his EFL career. It appears haphazard, unimaginative, and without consideration for the long-term. Some will accuse me of revisionism but I stated in the summer I didn't like the 'keep the same 11' approach as that plan has rarely worked recently at this level, but received stick as football isn't played on spreadsheets.

I simply don't want to read/hear the word 'contacts'. Contacts should have minimal impact on signings. Do some work. Find the gems. Don't rely on your mates. Be smarter than the other clubs.

Key lessons need to be learned. Another summer like that will put us in trouble.

Carol is still learning the trade but the key factor in the success of a club of our size is recruitment. Get it right, and all the extraneous stuff (commercial, ST sales, amount of impact on the community) will follow. Balls it, and you can have the best off-the-field situation in the country, but the club won't be successful.

As far as I can tell we have a squad of 30 players. The EFL limit is 22, we have 5 under-21s and 2 deregistered, that makes 29. Does that mean we actually have 3 players not registered?

I'm guessing Trickett-Smith isn't registered and we just haven't come out and publicised it so as not to embarrass him?

10 minutes ago, Wrex said:

As far as I can tell we have a squad of 30 players. The EFL limit is 22, we have 5 under-21s and 2 deregistered, that makes 29. Does that mean we actually have 3 players not registered?

I'm guessing Trickett-Smith isn't registered and we just haven't come out and publicised it so as not to embarrass him?

It is three. I think the club said (or the Sentinel reported) Dan TS wasn't registered at the start of the season.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/port-vale-agree-loan-move-4602642

1 hour ago, robf said:

I know Dino Visser has done well and done nothing wrong but there's still questions whether a 32 year-old is a long-term successor for Scott Brown. Many people were expecting a young gun who could challenge.

With that in mind (and hopefully no disrespect to Dino who's been very good) if a young keeper (or indeed a loanee) had been brought in then that would have meant another place in the League squad wouldn't have been used up on a reserve keeper. 

Made the point the day we signed him Rob. No slight against Visser as he's proved he's decent.

But I don't see him as the heir apparent. I expected someone of similar status to Hornby or Maddison, an up and coming keeper   .

Peculiar signing in some respects but again it's only my opinion. 

5 hours ago, robf said:

32 isn’t that old for a keeper and Visser is on only a 1 year deal. A league 2 keeper, if decent could keep going until 40. I think Visser is a great back up, from what I have seen, if Brown did get injured, I’d feel he would be a satisfactory replacement. I can’t say we’ve had a reserve keeper who I’d be comfortable with in recent years at all. 

5 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Or someone looks at his previous scoring record or has managed him before, we can only hope. Don`t have any option but to bring in a fresh striker if we need more goals. Fortunate that we can.

I think the lack of a reserve league these days has caused huge problems, had Robinson been able to play his way in the reserves into form then perhaps we would not even been debating his position. Instead he very well may rot on the bench for a year. I don’t see him willing to go non league.

4 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Made the point the day we signed him Rob. No slight against Visser as he's proved he's decent.

But I don't see him as the heir apparent. I expected someone of similar status to Hornby or Maddison, an up and coming keeper   .

Peculiar signing in some respects but again it's only my opinion. 

I think it was a panic signing, no disrespect to Visser. Probably struggled to get a keeper due to how Scott Brown has served us since his arrival, they were always going to play second fiddle. Scott Brown is magic

Archived