onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Kurtis Guthrie signs

robf

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

I don't massively rate Guthrie, but he's the only fit forward who can win a header. We're prone to hoofball at present and for that purpose, I'd start him.

Good to know you don't massively rate someone who has scored less goals than Adam Crookes this season.

Advert

22 hours ago, robf said:

I know he hasn't scored and doesn't look a goal threat but if there is going to be an element of "hoof ball" as we look to tighten up at the back, doesn't it make sense to play Guthrie who can at least challenge in the air for the first ball. 

It doesn't solve the issue of him being a non-goalscoring striker but doesn't it make more sense to play a big guy in a forward two if balls are constantly coming dropping out of the heavens to them?

I'm also a bit surprised we haven't seen Swan on the bench. He had a poor first game but there's plenty of players who did that and then got better. He's only had 88 minutes spread over three games to impress so far. He's seen as good enough to be on the fringes of a Championship squad earlier this season and I would have thought that with his pace, he could be a threat coming on as a late sub against tiring opposition?

Good point on Swan. Certainly a better bet as a sub than the other options we have you’d think 

11 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Correct, bearing in mind we're in a spell of playing the top sides, plus Pope, our other target man, is out.  Non of the others remotely look like winning a header as a bare minimum.  I do think when we play the "lesser" sides we'll set up to play a bit more football, on the deck, notwithstanding the fact non of the back four look great playing the ball out with any quality.  In recent games  Clarke obviously wanted to get the ball back to front quickly, playing two of the pacier strikers and looking for the ball over the top.  It hasn't worked.  Ultimately, for me, it'll be back to Pope, when fit,  + one of the others, to score the goals to keep us in the league.  Right now no one looks likely to hit a rich vein of form in front of goal.  We're in a mess.

Spot on the defenders hoofing it long are  the ones we need to get rid off its shithouse football ,play it on the floor get in behind ,work the ball in ,try corner back to someone who can hit it not putting it in the box for them clear easily ,SCORE a damn goal someone please 

The thing is we could have a separate thread for 15 players where we dissect how <ovf censored> they are and shouldn’t play again. We have to play at least 8 <ovf censored> players every game and at the moment we’re playing 11.

Guest Vale at home
On 05/03/2021 at 14:03, robf said:

I know he hasn't scored and doesn't look a goal threat but if there is going to be an element of "hoof ball" as we look to tighten up at the back, doesn't it make sense to play Guthrie who can at least challenge in the air for the first ball. 

It doesn't solve the issue of him being a non-goalscoring striker but doesn't it make more sense to play a big guy in a forward two if balls are constantly coming dropping out of the heavens to them?

I'm also a bit surprised we haven't seen Swan on the bench. He had a poor first game but there's plenty of players who did that and then got better. He's only had 88 minutes spread over three games to impress so far. He's seen as good enough to be on the fringes of a Championship squad earlier this season and I would have thought that with his pace, he could be a threat coming on as a late sub against tiring opposition?

Well said. 

Only Port Vale would sign a striker who has barely scored in a year and has been berated by his former club. On top of this we then decide to make him our first choice. What do we really expect?

Also, I’m sick of us signing a striker who has terrible reviews and a terrible goal record and us saying ‘Akpo Sodje was slagged off by Darlington bla bla bla’. If a striker was crap at his previous club then it’s more than likely that he’ll also be crap at Port Vale. Just sign a proven striker for once and spend the money. 

26 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

‘Akpo Sodje was slagged off by Darlington bla bla bla'

That old chestnut gets wheeled out every time.

I'm going to tell you all a horror story now so buckle up.

Colin Daniel
Dany N’Guessan
Jordan Slew
Achille Campion
JJ Hooper
Beanhead
Carlos Saleiro
Anton Forrester
Martin Paterson
Tyrone Barnett
Dior Angus
Rekeil Pyke
Ricky Miller
Danny Elliott
Scott Quigley
Idris Kanu
Jordan Archer
Richie Bennett

How miserable is that list?

We haven't signed an actual proper goalscorer since Nosferatu in January 2013. 

EIGHT YEARS. 

9 hours ago, SuperHuman said:

Also, I’m sick of us signing a striker who has terrible reviews and a terrible goal record and us saying ‘Akpo Sodje was slagged off by Darlington bla bla bla’. If a striker was crap at his previous club then it’s more than likely that he’ll also be crap at Port Vale. Just sign a proven striker for once and spend the money. 

Yeah I'm sick of hearing that comparison. I'm just hoping we aren't hearing in the summer about how Rudge was relegated in his first season as well.

9 hours ago, Doha said:

That old chestnut gets wheeled out every time.

I'm going to tell you all a horror story now so buckle up.

Colin Daniel
Dany N’Guessan
Jordan Slew
Achille Campion
JJ Hooper
Beanhead
Carlos Saleiro
Anton Forrester
Martin Paterson
Tyrone Barnett
Dior Angus
Rekeil Pyke
Ricky Miller
Danny Elliott
Scott Quigley
Idris Kanu
Jordan Archer
Richie Bennett

How miserable is that list?

We haven't signed an actual proper goalscorer since Nosferatu in January 2013. 

EIGHT YEARS. 

Take out Hughes, who was a couple of years from pension age. How many strikers have we signed since 2005 who have sustained success at a similar level we signed them at?

Constantine had had a good season a few years before we got him. Luke Rodgers had a couple of good years in the division below. 

Even Richards and Pope arrived with largely underwhelming CVs.

Constantine (one season) and Hughes (in his mid 50s). In 16 years, probably more. 

Every time, the Sodje story is diligently trotted out. 

What did the Ale and Vale lads say about Jamille Matt? Did we f*ck him about whilst Maynard had our trousers down?

10 hours ago, SuperHuman said:

Only Port Vale would sign a striker who has barely scored in a year and has been berated by his former club. On top of this we then decide to make him our first choice. What do we really expect?

We have a lot of people who resort to history. 

The same people were saying don't sack Askey because of the Kevin Finney moment. 

How far do you go back.

I'm bothered about the here and now 

I've seen Sodje , seen the wonderful sides Rudge got together. 

It doesn't alter the fact we dithered over sacking Askey seemingly because he's a nice bloke. And our recruitment is awful 

But remember Finney and Sodje !!! 

I'll throw this out there too. 

Unless you are an absolute student of League 2 and have the time to watch and read then the majority who rated Guthrie are purely going on his one man demolition of Smith in the 1-4 v Stevenage a couple of years ago. 

His record is pretty scandalous and when Bradford got rid they were in a relegation fight but still didn't want him on board.

Case rested 

Archived