onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Kurtis Guthrie signs

robf

5 minutes ago, Mario said:

Behind evry great striking duo there is a a team setting up chances for them to score or miss they dont do it on their own.

Am I missing something or are you stating the obvious?

Clearly our forwards aren't the only problem our team has, far from it. But individually and collectively they are crap, so it sure doesn't help.

Advert

3 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Am I missing something or are you stating the obvious?

Clearly our forwards aren't the only problem our team has, far from it. But individually and collectively they are crap, so it sure doesn't help.

Your team has a pretty good forward line and they cant score are they crap ?

I sort of understand the criticism if all our strikers were missing utter sitters and we were giving them lots of chances but that has not been happening. 

Guthrie has maybe missed 1 clear chance in about 6 games? Nobody else has really had a sniff. 

Only Worrall really creates things and his assist stats are misleading because they have remained roughly on the same figure since about November. 

In terms of players who are being clever and getting into goal scoring positions only Cullen and Robinson if you watch them tend to do that. (Pope does more but injured)

That style of Striker only works in teams that supply chances. We don’t. It makes Robinson look lazy but simply put we need to give him something to do. 

23 hours ago, windsorvale4ever said:

Our strikers are bad but tbh the service they've been getting is garbage as well and it's got worse since Clarke came in and went to 5-3-2 they are so isolated and it's hard to score with a ball in an airplanes flight path

It has. Somehow that’s a good point. We look more solid but the chances since DC took over have dried up even more. 

Would playing Amoo (when back fit) upfront be such a bad idea? He has an extra bit of spark, pace and more technical ability than Rodney. I think he would fit there if we are playing the 5-3-2/3-5-2 formation. 

The worrying thing is we could play Mills and Fitzpatrick upfront and they’d be no worse than our current crop of strikers.

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

I sort of understand the criticism if all our strikers were missing utter sitters and we were giving them lots of chances but that has not been happening. 

Guthrie has maybe missed 1 clear chance in about 6 games? Nobody else has really had a sniff. 

Only Worrall really creates things and his assist stats are misleading because they have remained roughly on the same figure since about November. 

In terms of players who are being clever and getting into goal scoring positions only Cullen and Robinson if you watch them tend to do that. (Pope does more but injured)

That style of Striker only works in teams that supply chances. We don’t. It makes Robinson look lazy but simply put we need to give him something to do. 

Robinson is lazy. He isn’t made to look it. He simply is. A complete donkey in both spells and shouldn’t play again. 

I know he hasn't scored and doesn't look a goal threat but if there is going to be an element of "hoof ball" as we look to tighten up at the back, doesn't it make sense to play Guthrie who can at least challenge in the air for the first ball. 

It doesn't solve the issue of him being a non-goalscoring striker but doesn't it make more sense to play a big guy in a forward two if balls are constantly coming dropping out of the heavens to them?

I'm also a bit surprised we haven't seen Swan on the bench. He had a poor first game but there's plenty of players who did that and then got better. He's only had 88 minutes spread over three games to impress so far. He's seen as good enough to be on the fringes of a Championship squad earlier this season and I would have thought that with his pace, he could be a threat coming on as a late sub against tiring opposition?

11 hours ago, robf said:

I know he hasn't scored and doesn't look a goal threat but if there is going to be an element of "hoof ball" as we look to tighten up at the back, doesn't it make sense to play Guthrie who can at least challenge in the air for the first ball. 

It doesn't solve the issue of him being a non-goalscoring striker but doesn't it make more sense to play a big guy in a forward two if balls are constantly coming dropping out of the heavens to them?

I'm also a bit surprised we haven't seen Swan on the bench. He had a poor first game but there's plenty of players who did that and then got better. He's only had 88 minutes spread over three games to impress so far. He's seen as good enough to be on the fringes of a Championship squad earlier this season and I would have thought that with his pace, he could be a threat coming on as a late sub against tiring opposition?

Correct, bearing in mind we're in a spell of playing the top sides, plus Pope, our other target man, is out.  Non of the others remotely look like winning a header as a bare minimum.  I do think when we play the "lesser" sides we'll set up to play a bit more football, on the deck, notwithstanding the fact non of the back four look great playing the ball out with any quality.  In recent games  Clarke obviously wanted to get the ball back to front quickly, playing two of the pacier strikers and looking for the ball over the top.  It hasn't worked.  Ultimately, for me, it'll be back to Pope, when fit,  + one of the others, to score the goals to keep us in the league.  Right now no one looks likely to hit a rich vein of form in front of goal.  We're in a mess.

On 15/01/2021 at 18:26, TJHValiant said:

Sorry guys, this is a dire signing that won’t make us any better. Has been dreadful at Bradford and so wasteful, he makes even Theo Robinson seem clinical. 

Again, hope I am proved wrong, but I fear in a few weeks we will be asking where are our goals? 

Who is scouting these players and thinking it is a good idea? 

Someone shared my concerns about yet another waste of money. Hope he proves me wrong today, I really do.

1 hour ago, jimbo57 said:

Someone shared my concerns about yet another waste of money. Hope he proves me wrong today, I really do.

To think we have x6 strikers on the payroll, the best is still Tom Pope, Rodney has been better than expected, the rest must have serious questions asking about why they are at Port Vale? disappointing in the extreme. I've said before, sacrifice x3 wages and sign someone like Vaughan at Tranmere. Madness

Archived