onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Kurtis Guthrie signs

robf

3 minutes ago, TylerB said:

He hasn't scored in 18 games this season. He scored a grand total of four the season prior. With a record that poor it doesn't really matter if he can hold up the ball a bit better than Cullen and Robinson, or win some headers. He's been a big part of the reason we've continued to slide down the table. It would be the same as bringing in a winger that never gets any assists. He's an absolute <ovf censored> of a signing.

Totally agree on what he's shown this far. bit like buying a car that someone tells you is burning oil, you know it's not gonna run properly beforew you buy the damn thing! Speculating with this league and our position is dangerous and incredibly poor.

Advert

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

He hasn't scored in 18 games this season. He scored a grand total of four the season prior. With a record that poor it doesn't really matter if he can hold up the ball a bit better than Cullen and Robinson, or win some headers. He's been a big part of the reason we've continued to slide down the table. It would be the same as bringing in a winger that never gets any assists. He's an absolute <ovf censored> of a signing.

I don’t remember saying he was a great signing, or had scored a lot of goals.  The point I’m making is that in the bigger picture goals alone aren’t the only criteria. If we’re playing 2 strikers they need to link much better than we’re seeing from ANY of the combinations currently tried.  A good partnership in itself will lead to more goals being scored.  Rodney makes the odd goal out of nothing but his decision making is often crap.  He’s not alone, we see players blasting shots at the defenders legs rather than making a short pass.  At the moment it’s looking like nothing will change until Pope comes back and links with one from the pool of 5 or 6 strikers on the books.

On 28/02/2021 at 13:31, Guitar Ray said:

I don’t remember saying he was a great signing, or had scored a lot of goals.  The point I’m making is that in the bigger picture goals alone aren’t the only criteria. If we’re playing 2 strikers they need to link much better than we’re seeing from ANY of the combinations currently tried.  A good partnership in itself will lead to more goals being scored.  Rodney makes the odd goal out of nothing but his decision making is often crap.  He’s not alone, we see players blasting shots at the defenders legs rather than making a short pass.  At the moment it’s looking like nothing will change until Pope comes back and links with one from the pool of 5 or 6 strikers on the books.

He was brought into the club to help us score goals. He's not done that whatsoever. He might hold the ball up now and again and win a few headers, but so did Kyle Perry. Pope excluded, and even he is well past his best and on the decline, none of our strikers are good enough, and it doesn't matter who plays with who as a partnership. One look at Guthrie's record over the last couple of years showed that he was going to contribute very little to the side. Now we know full well why Bradford fans were pissing themselves that another League Two club wanted him.

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

He was brought into the club to help us score goals. He's not done that whatsoever. He might hold the ball up now and again and win a few headers, but so did Kyle Perry. Pope excluded, and even he is well past his best and on the decline, none of our strikers are good enough, and it doesn't matter who plays with who as a partnership. One look at Guthrie's record over the last couple of years showed that he was going to contribute very little to the side. Now we know full well why Bradford fans were pissing themselves that another League Two club wanted him.

Leave Guthrie alone will you? It's not his fault he's crap at football

3 hours ago, TylerB said:

I know this may be difficult for you.  Just to repeat, nowhere have I suggested that Guthrie is a good signing.

The last line of my post said, "At the moment it’s looking like nothing will change until Pope comes back and links with one from the pool of 5 or 6 strikers on the books."  So having said this I'd strongly argue that it DOES matter who plays with who.  You're saying you can put your worst 2 strikers on and it doesn't matter.  Crazy.  I'd suggest that a reasonably fit Pope + A.N. Other will score more goals than any other pairing we can currently put out on the park.  Have you ever played football?  There should be partnerships all over the pitch.  It matters big time.

13 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I know this may be difficult for you.  Just to repeat, nowhere have I suggested that Guthrie is a good signing.

The last line of my post said, "At the moment it’s looking like nothing will change until Pope comes back and links with one from the pool of 5 or 6 strikers on the books."  So having said this I'd strongly argue that it DOES matter who plays with who.  You're saying you can put your worst 2 strikers on and it doesn't matter.  Crazy.  I'd suggest that a reasonably fit Pope + A.N. Other will score more goals than any other pairing we can currently put out on the park.  Have you ever played football?  There should be partnerships all over the pitch.  It matters big time.

I clearly meant that it doesn't matter who WE use as a partnership, which is why I named three of our four forwards. I have no idea why you started rambling about partnerships all over the pitch. No point knocking when nobody is home though.

Our strikers are so bad I'm genuinely thinking about what we need someone in that position to do and who else we could play there. Win headers and hold it up? Maybe one of the centre halves could do that. Pacey and latch on to through balls? Maybe Hurst or Taylor could give it a go up top. 

I think Guthrie and Robinson are two of the worst strikers ever to grace the Vale Park pitch. We sometimes have one duffer, to have two and no alternatives is worrying to the extreme.

6 hours ago, TylerB said:

I clearly meant that it doesn't matter who WE use as a partnership, which is why I named three of our four forwards. I have no idea why you started rambling about partnerships all over the pitch. No point knocking when nobody is home though.

Your right about knocking when nobody’s home but I’ll try anyway. You posted “...it doesn’t matter who plays with who as a partnership.”  I’m saying it does whether that be, as in this case up front, or anywhere else on the park. Football history is full of great partnerships.  Ramble on.

A thread on one of the players other than Popey I see .

Kurtis Guthrie hey I do not what make of the lad ,one half chance v L Orient header just past the post and one golden opportunity on target saved v Cambridge our only one annoyed me greatly that he didnt find the net as we need a leg up you know the ones we give opposition too regularly as our position in the league shows.

He seemed be combining quite well with Rodney in the Leyton Orient game at times then Clarke changed the team v Stevenage which was odd and then last week he went back with Guthrie and Rodney and for first 25 both were good then they both went naff then he changed it again what a strange manager although in 3 of the games I'd be changing Rodney not the others  and sticking him either right wing or left I think you will find he is the weak link .

So let's hope he scores some goals soon can he who knows I think he can if we stop with the hoofball 

16 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Your right about knocking when nobody’s home but I’ll try anyway. You posted “...it doesn’t matter who plays with who as a partnership.”  I’m saying it does whether that be, as in this case up front, or anywhere else on the park. Football history is full of great partnerships.  Ramble on.

I'm not saying it isn't. You really don't seem to be getting what I'm saying, which is that whether we play Guthrie/Rodney, Guthrie/Robinson, Guthrie/Cullen, Cullen/Rodney, Rodney/Cullen etc etc, it won't make a blind bit of difference. A good partnership is Owen and Heskey. Gerrard and Torres. Shearer and Sheringham. Not any of the wasters we have at the club.

17 minutes ago, TylerB said:

I'm not saying it isn't. You really don't seem to be getting what I'm saying, which is that whether we play Guthrie/Rodney, Guthrie/Robinson, Guthrie/Cullen, Cullen/Rodney, Rodney/Cullen etc etc, it won't make a blind bit of difference. A good partnership is Owen and Heskey. Gerrard and Torres. Shearer and Sheringham. Not any of the wasters we have at the club.

Behind evry great striking duo there is a a team setting up chances for them to score or miss they dont do it on their own.

Archived