onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Kurtis Guthrie signs

robf

36 minutes ago, TylerB said:

0 in 18 in total this season. At any level, that's an absolute travesty. And if someone say's "but he holds it up" or "he brings others into play", I'll say something I'll probably regret.

Bradford have played us like a fiddle.

Yeah dreadful. Played fine today but that miss lost us the game. He’s there to score, 0 in 18 think he’s playing in the wrong position. Luckily for us think we only signed him until the end of the season 

Advert

Goals are important and it’s an area we are lacking but it’s just not factually correct to assume that’s his only job. He is there to link up play, win first contact and give us an outlet.

Put that aside, players have patches of not scoring.

Im certainly not going to include his time at Bradford as Valley Parade has been a strikers graveyard for years with some very good players doing nothing when signing for them.

Interesting fact... Steve McPhee went 21 goals without a game the season before he banged in 27 goals.

25 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Literally hadn't mentioned anything about his record for a week until that post. Talk about an exaggeration. What isn't exaggerated is how poor he is.

Who would you play up front?

Pope is out.

Cullen doesn't ever do much and gets bullied.

Theo just doesn't seem like he wants to be here.

Rodney seems more threatening from out wide.

Again, it all comes down to recruitment and he's the best central striker we have.

On 15/01/2021 at 15:46, jonti1969 said:

Welcome and Good Luck Kurtis. All we ask is hard work and commitment and you wont go wrong, oh and if you could find the onion bag a few times 🙂

This aged like milk

Just now, valeparklife said:

Pope is out.

Again, it all comes down to recruitment and he's the best central striker we have.

I've not once said we should play someone else ahead of him right now. All I am saying is that quite clearly he's nowhere near good enough, regardless of him winning a few headers, and now I understand why Bradford fans couldn't believe another League Two club wanted him.

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Apart from in the match thread today.  What was it - couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat??

Not wrong though, am I? Besides, it's a match day thread. Of course players are going to get mentioned, whether it's positive or negative. If he scored his chance I would have been giving credit where it's due. But of course, he didn't.

1 minute ago, TylerB said:

Not wrong though, am I? Besides, it's a match day thread. Of course players are going to get mentioned, whether it's positive or negative.

I'd say the words '"Cow's ar*e and banjo come to mind personally! League 2 is a poor league this season imo and we areclinging on to it....

17 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Goals are important and it’s an area we are lacking but it’s just not factually correct to assume that’s his only job. He is there to link up play, win first contact and give us an outlet.

Put that aside, players have patches of not scoring.

Im certainly not going to include his time at Bradford as Valley Parade has been a strikers graveyard for years with some very good players doing nothing when signing for them.

Interesting fact... Steve McPhee went 21 goals without a game the season before he banged in 27 goals.

Guthrie reminds me of Ronnie Jepson at Vale and the Stoke game. He needs goals and quick. To me after he missed that chance he disappeared. he's a better option than Cullen and Robertson and that sadly says a lot about our prdicament. Jepo had a fantastic career after Vale!!

Staggered how poor we are up top. Rodney the one shining light of the whole season plus the emergence of Alex Hurst.

He is awful. To think people got slated for moaning saying “give him a chance”....anyone who had ever seen him play for 5 minutes at any point in their lives could see he was not good enough. Who is scouting these wasters? Holds the ball up? Yes he does....to enable the opposition defence to sort themselves out and get the ball back. 

Theo Robinson will be delighted to see he has another year of free money with Cullen going and Guthrie for competition in the team. Pope will be going too. That leaves Rodney. 

3 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Pope is out.

I would personally play Theo. He has an extra years contract. He needs to be told to stop sulking and earn his wage. Remind him he played in the play off semi final only 8 months ago. 

Cullen is decent when he gets decent through balls and a solid central midfield, unfortunately neither appear in our side to help him. 

Rodney is indeed better out wide....but better frankly anywhere else than any other forward player. 

Guthrie appears to be the most unique player...a defensive forward! 

To be fair it's not just about scoring goals.  If we're playing with 2 strikers they need to complement each other.  Non of the pairings Clarke has tried have clicked or looks like doing so.  Maybe Pope, when fit, and one of the others will be the answer.  Also in recent games we've seen a couple of times where Rodney has taken a shot when he'd be better squaring the ball, and possibly Guthrie could've done this today, although you can't blame him for taking it on and he really should score.

12 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

He is awful. To think people got slated for moaning saying “give him a chance”....anyone who had ever seen him play for 5 minutes at any point in their lives could see he was not good enough. Who is scouting these wasters? Holds the ball up? Yes he does....to enable the opposition defence to sort themselves out and get the ball back. 

Theo Robinson will be delighted to see he has another year of free money with Cullen going and Guthrie for competition in the team. Pope will be going too. That leaves Rodney. 

Can't believe he's got another 12 months, stealing money, who signed him, that's the question? What pi**es me off is when you see clubs like Tranmere with Vaughan and Cambridge with Mullen respectively. To me we are paying x5 people (I exclude Tom Pope from criticism) when in reality get rid of x3, keep Rodney and get some experience and known goals in. Absolutely garbage management.

11 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

To be fair it's not just about scoring goals.  If we're playing with 2 strikers they need to complement each other.  Non of the pairings Clarke has tried have clicked or looks like doing so.  Maybe Pope, when fit, and one of the others will be the answer.  Also in recent games we've seen a couple of times where Rodney has taken a shot when he'd be better squaring the ball, and possibly Guthrie could've done this today, although you can't blame him for taking it on and he really should score.

He hasn't scored in 18 games this season. He scored a grand total of four the season prior. With a record that poor it doesn't really matter if he can hold up the ball a bit better than Cullen and Robinson, or win some headers. He's been a big part of the reason we've continued to slide down the table. It would be the same as bringing in a winger that never gets any assists. He's an absolute turd of a signing.

Archived