onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Kurtis Guthrie signs

robf

Advert

15 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Strikers rely on service and they fit into some clubs and not at others.

Guthrie sounds like the type to replace Popey, if Danny Pugh plays to his strengths.

Who was the striker Micky Adams signed who was garbage and only scoring off his backside at Torquay if I recollect the game right? But he went on to have a really good career at Rochdale I think. Actually did well against us.

Calvin Andrew was our third choice striker behind Pope and Hughes back then. Calvin had been injured but had been an established Championship player with Luton and Crystal Palace from a young age. He had been injured but got back to a good league 1 level.

Guthrie meanwhile has never done anything above league 2. At his age now, not likely to either.

44 minutes ago, MBE said:

Out of interest how many times have you watched him play for Bradford to asses he has been dreadful?

Well he was never that good for Stevenage aside for that one game against us it seems! I admit I have not seen him barely at all for Bradford. 

However I did have the opportunity to see him play several times for Stevenage when working down there during the 2018/19 season and he was not much good. 

Physically a good player but his finishing isn’t up to standard. Basically he is Theo Robinson, except maybe with a bit more pace. 

If a football club was run by a fans forum, within three years they would surely sweep through the leagues, win the FA Cup and Champions league. They would only sign the best players and be tactical masters. Can't think for the life of me why it hasn't happened yet.

43 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Well he was never that good for Stevenage aside for that one game against us it seems! I admit I have not seen him barely at all for Bradford. 

However I did have the opportunity to see him play several times for Stevenage when working down there during the 2018/19 season and he was not much good. 

Physically a good player but his finishing isn’t up to standard. Basically he is Theo Robinson, except maybe with a bit more pace. 

6 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Another reason I don’t get the criticism on this one is that it’s a 6 month deal. If he proves himself we sign him up, if he’s not good then it’s no big loss. At least he’s not been signed on a two year deal like Robinson 

If he wants to continue his career in League Two for a decent club he will know more than anyone he'll have to come in and make a decent impact. Perhaps if he scored one that went in of his arse early on for Bradford he might have got a few for them. Confidence is a massive thing in football, even more so at this sort of level.

50 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

There aren't many at this level who are consistently good at finishing.

He is physical and mobile which is something we have lacked for a few seasons now. Just that alone should improve us which would make him a good signing.  You never know he may got one, get his confidence up and score 10 between now and then end of the season, then he would be a fantastic signing.

27 minutes ago, MBE said:

There aren't many at this level who are consistently good at finishing.

He is physical and mobile which is something we have lacked for a few seasons now. Just that alone should improve us which would make him a good signing.  You never know he may got one, get his confidence up and score 10 between now and then end of the season, then he would be a fantastic signing.

If they were consistent they would not be at our level 

Clearly someone has been de registered for him to be able to play tomorrow and it’s not been announced who it is yet. It could be one of a few I guess.

I can’t remember him when he’s played against us, was he good? 
He was superb that day. Tore us a new one like dembele did against grimsby. If he could recapture that kind of performance here he'd be the signing of the season. Big 'if' though. The crucial thing will be, as ever, the service. If we can't improve that, he'll only go the way of the many others over the past 7 years

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Calvin Andrew was our third choice striker behind Pope and Hughes back then. Calvin had been injured but had been an established Championship player with Luton and Crystal Palace from a young age. He had been injured but got back to a good league 1 level.

Guthrie meanwhile has never done anything above league 2. At his age now, not likely to either.

Calvin Andrew is an intriguing one. He’s had a good career, played at a higher level than we’ve managed, must have had the support of a number of managers and, I guess, supporters. But I reckon if he had stayed here he would have been absolutely slaughtered.

Archived