1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

It's everything to do with us because if a big earner is in the latter stages of his career and getting injured more often then it becomes a millstone around the club's neck. So as fans we'd rightly be disgruntled if that were the case. 

Just because Kevin Ellison notched against us doesn't mean I want us to keep chucking contracts at Pope because other older players are still doing it. 

Pope is different from others because his career has been spent being man handled and kicked lumps out of by agricultural centre halves and he has given it back too. 

I can't advocate giving a 2 year deal to a bloke who is 36 in 7 months time, pure lunacy. 

Pope is one of my favourite of all time, my moments are both Rotherham games and the Cheltenham hat trick. The bloke has been a legend for us. Sadly all things have to end. This injury Is terrible timing particularly after he gave a good performance against Grimsby but Carol or whoever can't be sentimental they have to be realistic. 

Fantastic servant

The king is dead long live the king springs to mind. 

How much do you earn then?

• Haha 1

Advert:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’d say give him a one year deal too. 

This quote from the Sentinel says it all about Tom Pope:

I thought the guy nutted him from behind deliberately and thought it was a sending off straight away. As someone said above when flat out and kicking the ground in pain I thought it was something

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

26 grand a year 

Usually a 1% rise every September

Edited by darren1810
Additional text

8 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

How do you know? A two year deal for a 35 year is just silly. No club in there right mind would offer that 

We would because it's still 2012/13 

We in a time warp 

Just now, Bald Eagle said:

I wasn’t aware Darren1810 salary had an impact on the playing budget

Doesn't bother me mate I've replied. 

No idea myself what my wage has to do with Tom Pope being a high earner 

Advert:

Just now, darren1810 said:

Doesn't bother me mate I've replied. 

No idea myself what my wage has to do with Tom Pope being a high earner 

Fair play to you fella.

Think we should go for a 5 year index linked contract - some would deem that to be a bit short I expect👍

• Like 1

Just now, Rampant Zebra said:

Do you think your colleagues feel that you deserve it?😀

No idea but there is no connection between a veteran footballer and a maintenance person at a school. 

Getting up at 5-30 am I feel it's a good wage for the area we live in. 

Whether my colleagues feel that way is open to conjecture.

Do fellow Vale players think Pope deserved it ? I'd imagine not. 

22 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

What does that have to do with anything he dosent play for vale 😂😂😂 of course it Matters what pope is on. He’s one of our top earners - our top earners should be our key players who play week in week. Pope isn’t that at the minute and certainly won’t be in 2 years time. 

• Thanks 1

Advert:

Pope is a vale legend. I admit age has caught up with him, but he is still worthy of a year’s deal from what I have seen. Still better than any other striker at the club. 

That’s not ideal I must admit as I’d hoped we’d find a decent replacement by now.
The stats suggest otherwise. Rodney now has the same amount of league goals from open play already this season than pope has in this and the last combined, in less than half the appearances. Rodney also had more assists
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sam Kelly's Left Boot said:

Pope's 35 not 45. He's brilliant in the air, and that won't change. Sign him up.

Completely agree, absolutely clear what TP brings to Port Vale. Can see Tom Pope making a valuable contribution when he's 37/38 if managed correctly, one year contract with option for two.

• Like 2

I think Tom will be useful for 30 mins a game or 60 mins every other game. I think if there’s a decent prospect of getting 6 weeks out of him at the end of this season, I wouldn’t deregister and in any event, a one year deal that reflects his declining contribution would be good business.

• Like 2

Next season squads have to reduce to 20. https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-6---players/

Unless the clubs vote to increase back to 22 I can't see an offer for Pope. You've got 

2 keepers

3 fullbacks

4 centrehalves

5 central midfield players

3 wingers

3 centre forwards

You could possibly swap a midfield player for a centreforward,  but at least one then needs to then be comfortable playing elsewhere. With cup games you need to be condident of 35 games from all your outfield players. Pope only really fits in as one of 3 dedicated forwards as he can't cover as a winger or in midfield. 

• Like 1

Advert:

1 hour ago, JRC said:

Next season squads have to reduce to 20. https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-6---players/

Unless the clubs vote to increase back to 22 I can't see an offer for Pope. You've got 

2 keepers

3 fullbacks

4 centrehalves

5 central midfield players

3 wingers

3 centre forwards

You could possibly swap a midfield player for a centreforward,  but at least one then needs to then be comfortable playing elsewhere. With cup games you need to be condident of 35 games from all your outfield players. Pope only really fits in as one of 3 dedicated forwards as he can't cover as a winger or in midfield. 

Underlines the importance of having youngsters in the squad.

Campbell-Gordon, Bailey, Lennon - fundamentally they represent a body contracted to the club who can supplement a squad without taking up registration places. It's vital, and tbf to these new laws teams are going to be forced to have young lads around the senior squad to step in when needed, as opposed to have 10 professionals not making the bench.

We need to add to this by picking up 1-2 U21 lads released by bigger clubs. We can't afford a single wasted space. 

Edited by Joe B