1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

This quote from the Sentinel says it all about Tom Pope:

image.png.cdda715f1318cd13d4273218f92b9dd1.png

Wish some of the players had bought into that last sentence too.

• Thanks 1

Advert:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’d say give him a one year deal too. 

This quote from the Sentinel says it all about Tom Pope:

I thought the guy nutted him from behind deliberately and thought it was a sending off straight away. As someone said above when flat out and kicking the ground in pain I thought it was something

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

May sound heartless but could / should we de-register Pope? Not sure how the system works.

Not sure myself, if he was deregistered would that mean he wouldn’t be getting paid? Can’t do that to a player who has suffered an injury whilst playing for the club.

Advert:

6 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Not sure myself, if he was deregistered would that mean he wouldn’t be getting paid? Can’t do that to a player who has suffered an injury whilst playing for the club.

The registration does not affect contracts or wages. Otherwise clubs would just deregister players when they wanted to get them off the wage bill!

That said I wonder if deregistering would remove his wages from the salary cap limit

Edited by Wrex

2 minutes ago, Wrex said:

The registration does not affect contracts or wages. Otherwise clubs would just deregister players when they wanted to get them off the wage bill!

That said I wonder if deregistering would remove his wages from the salary cap limit

Maybe didn’t say it very clearly, but that’s what I meant.

if he was still getting paid surely that would count towards the salary cap.

if it meant he wouldn’t be paid that wouldn’t be right considering he got injured whilst playing for the club

Registered or deregistered, he has a contract with the club so will still get paid in full. Imagine the coronarys at the PFA if it was as simple as if you don't want to pay a player, don't include him in the squad!

if it meant he wouldn’t be paid that wouldn’t be right considering he got injured whilst playing for the club
Some on here have suggested that a deregistered player doesn't count towards the salary cap (though they still get paid of course). Haven't seen any evidence to support that, but it doesn't seem right to me, as would make a complete mockery of the purpose of the cap!

Advert:

Just now, philmpv said:
17 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Some on here have suggested that a deregistered player doesn't count towards the salary cap (though they still get paid of course). Haven't seen any evidence to support that, but it doesn't seem right to me, as would make a complete mockery of the purpose of the cap!

Tom will be missed and it’s probably the last time he’ll play a competitive game for his beloved Port Vale. Thank you for what you’ve done for us especially season 18/19. Indebted forever

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, philmpv said:
22 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Yes, you put it better than I did, but that was a point I was getting at, what’s to stop a club deregistering 3 or 4 out of favour players plus 1 or 2 long term injured players, signing half a dozen more and having a wage bill nearer 2 million instead of the permitted 1.5 million ( for league 2)

as you say, makes a complete mockery of the salary cap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Conrad said:

Yes, you put it better than I did, but that was a point I was getting at, what’s to stop a club deregistering 3 or 4 out of favour players plus 1 or 2 long term injured players, signing half a dozen more and having a wage bill nearer 2 million instead of the permitted 1.5 million ( for league 2)

as you say, makes a complete mockery of the salary cap.

The limitation is on the number of players available at a certain time,  similar to  the Prem League limit of 25 between transfer windows. 

Here we are:

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-5---financial-fair-play-regulations/

4 Excluded Salary Cap Players

4.1 The following Players shall not be considered to be a Salary Cap Player:

4.1.1  any Under 21 Player;

4.1.2  in respect of Relegated Clubs in its first Salary Cap Year following relegation only, any Player who is not included within the Squad List of that Club throughout that Salary Cap Year; and

4.1.3 in Season 2020/21 only, any Player who is not included within the Squad List of a Club.

• Like 1

American Sports (who the EFL are clearly trying to emulate with squad limits and salary caps) have an 'Injury Reserve' for this exact Pope issue.

It allows you to put a certain number of players on a reserve list, unable for selection, if they're suffering from a long injury. It's not used for a calf strain, but an ACL tear, for example.

The player still gets paid, isn't de-registered as they could be fit before the next registration window, and another player can be signed during the absence. You then release that player when the original players becomes active. They still contribute to the salary cap, though.

The entire salary cap thing is a reasonable idea but has been implemented so poorly that it'll be binned in two years and consigned to the 'bad ideas' pile, when it just needs some more competent people delivering it. 

Advert:

2 hours ago, Conrad said:

...as you say, makes a complete mockery of the salary cap.

No, it doesn't! The cap applies only to those players who are registered for the first team squad, and they will be the only ones who can play for the club (although, I have read somebody saying they think he can still play in the Papa John?). McKirdy can no longer play for us, so doesn't count towards the salary cap. He will, of course, still get paid until he gets moved on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

No, it doesn't! The cap applies only to those players who are registered for the first team squad, and they will be the only ones who can play for the club (although, I have read somebody saying they think he can still play in the Papa John?). McKirdy can no longer play for us, so doesn't count towards the salary cap. He will, of course, still get paid until he gets moved on.

In theory I think we could reregister McKirdy. There is a date, after which the squad becomes fixed again.