onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom pope

boslemportvale91

Advert

Some parallels here with Tom Brady the ex New England Patriots Quarter Back. TB chose to leave the Patriots, depending on who you believe, at the end of the 2020 season after 20 successful seasons and joined the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Many Patriots fans and Boston sports  commentators were saying let him go, he's too old and past his best. To be fair in his last season at the Patriots TB did seem less athletic and less mobile although he was always more of a passing QB than one who ran with the ball.

Those very same fans/sports commentators who were saying let him go are now singing a totally different tune after witnessing TB take The Buccs to the play-offs in the 2021 season with excellent playing statistics. The first time the Buccs have made the play-offs in yonks whilst The Patriots were awful all season and failed to make the play-offs.

Motto of this story, if you're good enough age doesn't matter, young or old.

I’d offer TP a one year extension based on pay as you play an ad hoc basis. The problem is that we have known TP won’t be able to play forever but we’ve never managed to replace him. It looks Devante is going to be our saviour this season and is scoring regular. The problem for me is that Devante is scoring really good goals from long distance, these are the sort of goals a midfielder should be scoring. I’d prefer a forward to play down the centre being fed by the midfield, scoring headers, tap ins and ugly goals. 

I’d offer TP a one year extension based on pay as you play an ad hoc basis. The problem is that we have known TP won’t be able to play forever but we’ve never managed to replace him. It looks Devante is going to be our saviour this season and is scoring regular. The problem for me is that Devante is scoring really good goals from long distance, these are the sort of goals a midfielder should be scoring. I’d prefer a forward to play down the centre being fed by the midfield, scoring headers, tap ins and ugly goals. 
If we had a midfield that could do that I'm sure Rodney would be scoring the 'normal' striker goals. Problem is we haven't so that's the priority for me

8 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

You can't really pay someone on a ad hoc basis when it's a fixed budget. Otherwise at some point you have to stop playing him when the budget is reached. Last game of the season, budget cap reached, Pope is one of 3 strikers and the other 2 are injured. Need a point for the playoffs and you can't play Pope because the money put aside for ad hoc wages is already spent.

14 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Very true but popey hasn’t done much this season to warrant a 12 month contract 

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Whoever we sign having freed up pope's wage at the end of the season

Phil I understand that, but look what we’ve purchased, in the past. I like Cullen but the lad can’t stay fit, Robinson has been de selected, Bennett was thankfully gotten rid of, Archer now playing non league and Angus wasn’t really given a chance IMO. So why do you think the next person we sign will be successful.? I’m not talking making TP name first on the team sheet, just someone who’ll give us 30 mins hard graft winning headers, holding up the ball and  capable of making things a tad uncomfortable for opposing defenders. 
I don’t believe that PVFC are a benevolent fund but with our success rate of signing a decent forward I’d go for the extension. TP would definitely get an offer from Bational League clubs and he’d be daft not to take it.

30 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I don't mind Pope but I find it a bit harsh on Rodney to describe Pope as currently being the 'best striker at the club'. Rodney has contributed significantly more this season.

The Grimsby game showed very clearly that they bring different things to the party. And the sum of the parts is better than the two parts. Pity it was only one game. Young Rodders is raw, and has a lot to learn from old father Tom.  He's a talent, no doubt about that.

Just now, toyahw said:

The Grimsby game showed very clearly that they bring different things to the party. And the sum of the parts is better than the two parts. Pity it was only one game. Young Rodders is raw, and has a lot to learn from old father Tom.  He's a talent no doubt. 

I agree that Pope has something to offer still - for the right price. 

I just really like Rodney. He has a couple of things that it's very hard to coach; a knack for scoring a varied style of goals (we've had tap ins, 1v1s, long range blasters, and headers) and ludicrous pace. His first touch isn't good and his decision making can be poor, but thankfully they're things that game time and good coaching can sort. It's impossible to coach a knack for finishing

I have no issues with Pope getting another year, but on a salary that reflects a third choice striker in League 2. I reckon he knows he can get better than that. 

4 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I hope they vote against it. It will make it even harder to sign players.

Not really. What it does is level the playing field and stop big-spending teams blowing their budgets...and then some...chasing a dream and getting an unfair advantage over those that are more prudent. Also, it means more opportunities for younger players to come in and add sufficient numbers to the squad.

Archived