Can anybody back me up here. Chatting at work, nobody remembers this but me, im starting to doubt my memory. In a friendly at the Victoria ground back in the early 80's, did the sentinel run a competition for fans, with the winners playing in the match? I'm positive the two winners came on as subs in the second half. Am I going mad?

8 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

There was one in the nineties. 

I can't remember one during the 90s. 

They arranged one for pre-season in 1995 but when the fixtures came out and the first derby was in August, it got cancelled.

Advert:

I remember the one in 1976 for our Centenary. As ever, they were a horrible bunch of and occupied a section of the Bycars. 

Edited by Old fort
Typo

21 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

I remember Andy Jones scoring there in a pre season friendly, possibly his first game for us.

Yeah, think I was there for that one - would have been 85 if it was Jones' first game. I remember it was a 1-1 draw.

I also recall my Dad getting home from another friendly at Vale Park in 80 or 81. He left when it was 1-5 and said he then heard their fans cheering and singing "6-1" as he was walking away from the ground. 

38 minutes ago, Old fort said:

I remember the one in 1976 for our Centenary. As ever, they were a horrible bunch of and occupied a section of the Bycars. 

I went this one, I remember it because I was about to get filled in by this huge stokefan, one of the original N40 but he was stopped by his mate,another notorious stoke fan, who was a work colleague of mine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bycars rob said:

I remember Andy Jones scoring there in a pre season friendly, possibly his first game for us.

It was. I think he came on as sub and scored.

Advert:

1 hour ago, robf said:

It was. I think he came on as sub and scored.

There was also a testimonial game for Chris Maskery the Stoke player around 87 at the Vic and we also drew 1-1 I think. It might have been that game where the fans played? It was a bit lower key and I don't think there was much of a turnout but it was another night game like the one where Jones scored. The one in the 90's was George Berry's testimonial which we lost 1-0. Around 10,000 there for that, 2 or 3 thou from Vale.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MelbourneValiant said:

Anyone remember Spoey's Testimonial held mid season which is pretty strange? Adrian Heath scored for us in a 1-0 win, a young Jonathon Wilkes was mascot.

I remember Adrian Heath playing and scoring for us, so it must have been that game.

A fat clueless Stoke fan sat near to us in the Railway Stand and kept going on about what a bad keeper Grew was.