Match Thread: Forest Green Rovers v Port Vale

Difficult game tomorrow against a team that plays good football with plenty of fluidity.They haven't played this year and their last game was on the 29th December,when they lost at home to Crawley.I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not,they could be fresh as daisies or a bit stale and slow off the mark,let's hope for the latter.In this window they have lost Carl Winchester to Sunderland and Liam Kitching to Barnsley but signed Isaac Hutchinson on loan from Derby and Baily Cargill from MKD,let's hope they don't fit in either.

Joking apart,I think that new signing Guthrie will pay up front with Rodney and we'll play 3-5-2 to try and nullify their strength in midfield.My midfield would be Worrall,Conlon,Taylor,Joyce,Monty, with a back three of Mills,Smith and Brisley.

Hopefully,this line up will be good enough to get a result and keep us moving up the league.

UTV

• Like 3

Advert:

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wrote this one off last week as I expected not a lot from this game so to go a goal down and show some character In keeping them out and going on to score a late equaliser shows some grit and determ

Sorry mate but I can’t believe what you’re saying. You say you’re right every single time, well in my opinion you are absolutely wrong in your view of today’s game. Our defence today was ten times bet

Hurst is not the problem and massively unfair to single him out

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Difficult game tomorrow against a team that plays good football with plenty of fluidity.They haven't played this year and their last game was on the 29th December,when they lost at home to Crawley.I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not,they could be fresh as daisies or a bit stale and slow off the mark,let's hope for the latter.In this window they have lost Carl Winchester to Sunderland and Liam Kitching to Barnsley but signed Isaac Hutchinson on loan from Derby and Baily Cargill from MKD,let's hope they don't fit in either.

Joking apart,I think that new signing Guthrie will pay up front with Rodney and we'll play 3-5-2 to try and nullify their strength in midfield.My midfield would be Worrall,Conlon,Taylor,Joyce,Monty, with a back three of Mills,Smith and Brisley.

Hopefully,this line up will be good enough to get a result and keep us moving up the league.

UTV

Cargill is a good player wouldn’t have minded us having him on loan 

10 hours ago, Joe B said:

Can Breadwinner please tell me how we can fit Conlon, Taylor, Joyce, Worrall, Hurst, Rodney, and Guthrie into the same line up please.

Presumably, GK + 3 CH and 2 of those 7 play as wing-backs? Or, the prudent use of a couple of those 7 as subs, brought on to freshen things up rather than waiting till 80+ minutes? Either way - let somebody worry about us, for a change?

On 15/01/2021 at 09:37, Rampant Zebra said:

Interesting that the injury update on the official Vale website doesn't even mention Manny. Guess he is a way off returning. 

perhaps time to move on, no use being a good player for six matches a season. we need consistency.😷

• Like 2

Advert:

I assume we have de-registered someone to allow Guthrie to play. Pugh was fairly clear that he was in the plans for today.

I just really want us to start winning a few games of football. Been a miserable few months for us. 

Pugh didn't say anything about Rodney's fitness so do we assume he's fit?  

I think with the signing of Taylor, the captaincy of Conlon, and the undeniable importance of Joyce, it looks like 433 is the preferred option, but then you have to leave out one of Worrall, Hurst, Rodney, and Guthrie.

Come on boys massive game today. Lets just get at them from the off and see what happens dont mind losing just want to see us have a real go at them and try and get a result

• Like 1

10 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Cargill is a good player wouldn’t have minded us having him on loan 

Forest Green always do good business. Be interested to see what their recruitment structure is.

20 hours ago, darren1810 said:

It is his much anticipated 2-6-2 formation with Smith as central midfielder.

Only joking VFIA , you put smiles on peoples face at times 

Attack is Port Vales best form of defence I'd like see Hurst put 3 crosses in all buried by Danny Guthrie ,freedom of the city till next game. 

GOOAAAARRRRRRRNNNNN

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Attack is Port Vales best form of defence I'd like see Hurst put 3 crosses in all buried by Danny Guthrie ,freedom of the city till next game. 

GOOAAAARRRRRRRNNNNN

Are you suggesting Hurst’s crosses are so bad they’ll end up in the Bescot?

• Haha 1

Advert:

46 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

GOOAAAARRRRRRRNNNNN

Even better if they were all buried by Kurtis Guthrie.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Are you suggesting Hurst’s crosses are so bad they’ll end up in the Bescot?

What's his first name I'm sure its Danny lmao ,hurst is amazing ok Guthrie not danny lmao ,Danny Guthrie I do not care maybe it's his brother hat trick for the lad and me somersaulting around Trentham lakes .

UTV 

• Like 2

Assuming various injuries and maybe ignorant of others:

Brown

Mills Smith Brisley Monty

Amoo Joyce Conlon Worrall

Guthrie Rodney

I’m guessing the likes of Gibbons, Pope and ?? Hurst are injured?

22 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

Assuming various injuries and maybe ignorant of others:

Brown

Mills Smith Brisley Monty

Amoo Joyce Conlon Worrall

Guthrie Rodney

I’m guessing the likes of Gibbons, Pope and ?? Hurst are injured?

I imagine taylor will start today

Advert:

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Forest Green always do good business. Be interested to see what their recruitment structure is.

They always seem to have a policy of having signings lined up before they release anybody.Chris Courtney is in charge of recruitment.

9 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

I imagine taylor will start today

Ah, forgot about Taylor... yeah, I’d definitely start him. May upset the balance pn the wings but him for Amoo would feel a little more solid. Two up front maybe a bit gungho but there you go.

28 minutes ago, For Us All said:

They always seem to have a policy of having signings lined up before they release anybody.Chris Courtney is in charge of recruitment.

That's how it should be. Have your targets identified a year in advance. Know exactly who will be out of contract in Summer 21, Summer 22 etc. Cross players off the list when they sign extensions. Have a rough idea of what the core of the squad will look like in 2 years time. What are the key areas to work on? What do we need more from via the academy? How much do we want to spend, per position, in the salary cap? Where can we get away with U21s who won't need to be registered, and where will we need experience? Which players are going to be released by Category 1 academies?

I'm sure we do a bit of this but I still don't see that long-term recruitment strategy. It takes a lot of time, effort, and diligence, hence why good clubs have someone in control of it, as the manager can't possibly manage a team and be so detailed/long-term with his signings. The next step for us is a recruitment director/DoF, who works with a head coach whose primary focus is training and tactics.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1