Match Thread: Forest Green Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

2 hours ago, ItsPricey said:

We need an experienced manager asap. 

Yes because they are guaranteed to do a lot better than 4 points out of 6

I wanted that originally until people went on about Holloway wow,my shout was for Adams at Morecambe but i realise we will be going with Pugh so why as fans cant we back him,imo we have improved under and did ok in the end against one of the best footballing sides in the division

• Like 1

Advert:

I thought he player well today. He covered a lot of ground filling in spaces, closing players down.
Fair enough, I obviously saw it differently. For me, being able to successfully pass a ball forwards more than 2 yards is a must for any midfielder, no matter how defensive he is. His passing is absolutely shocking. Must admit he did play a lovely through ball for their striker though
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Quebec_Valiant said:

The frustrating thing is that, good as those stats are, I've seen him snatch at a few easy chances or shoot when a lay off might have been a better option.  This is in recent games.  I guess the upside is that this is something that we can develop, as the key attributes seem to the there.

Still all in all a good start to his Vale career.

Yeah he's got a long way to go, but to be hitting the target with such regularity whilst still being so technically inefficient is promising.

The lad struggles to trap a ball and his decision making can let him down, and yet he's still on target for 12-15 goals and 5+ assists. I hope we have the coaches in place to round his game out, as he has some excellent traits (workrate, finishing, pace).

• Like 1

In theory Crookes should be our CB. He can pass, has a bit of pace and is tall however he's too lightweight and lacking aggression to be anything other than a squad player for cover. What I would say though is he gives us an option to play 3 at the back if needed. You could never play as 3 with Legge or Brisley.

When have you seen crookes pass? Is it on some archived footage somewhere?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advert:

1 minute ago, philmpv said:

Must admit he did play a lovely through ball for their striker though emoji16.png

It was his first through ball of the season.😂

What I liked about him today he did try to get on the ball when needed to try and get us on the ball.Doesn't matter how good or bad he plays he is never afraid to try and get on the ball. I don't think there are too many players in our team with that attitude.

• Like 1

happy clapper post. next.

Go and support Man City if you want free flowing football home and away wiping the floor with everyone.

It doesn’t happen at clubs at the level of Vale so to go away to a side that was 15 minutes from top of the league and get a point which we deserved is decent enough, content is the best word for it.

It was miles better than Mansfield/Barrow.

The ones we need to win are the ones coming up. Walsall H Scunthorpe A Southend H.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Yes because they are guaranteed to do a lot better than 4 points out of 6

I wanted that originally until people went on about Holloway wow,my shout was for Adams at Morecambe but i realise we will be going with Pugh so why as fans cant we back him,imo we have improved under and did ok in the end against one of the best footballing sides in the division

An experienced manager like Hurst at Grimsby who has lost 2 and drawn today in the battle of the bottom 2 ?

• Like 3

Anyone else think we looked much better up front with Guthrie? Ball seemed to stick at the end with more regularity than it did prior.

We were that poor in that area before that it's not saying much, but he roughed a few of their lads up and accusations of laziness from other clubs seem misguided. Rans the channels willingly, seemed to win every header he challenged for, provided a lovely chest down and a delicious turn on our right. I accept he's been on 30 minute and it's overly analytical, but as someone who was presented by Bantams as lazy/sulky/ineffectual, I was pleasantly surprised by what he seemed to offer.

Hope he can settle in and grab a goal as there was enough from him today to suggest something weird happened at Bradford. At worst, he seemed a willing runner with the physical traits to distract defenders.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:

When have you seen crookes pass? Is it on some archived footage somewhere?

When he was playing at LB at the beginning of last season before he got injured he played some good diagonal balls. Not seen much from his since.

Advert:

2 hours ago, TylerB said:

Don't forget the supporters. There's far too many people who are content just as long as the club are still in the football league, and happy to accept dross like Danny Pugh as manager if he can win a game now and again. They are a big part of the reason the club is very unlikely to ever amount to anything again.

Should rename the club Bog Standard FC.

I am very content tonight me owd fruit

People said lets see how we do when we play a decent side,well we did and away from home,battled for the point imo so yes i am content with the points return so far,did i want Pugh NO,am i ok with it now i guess so so i will back him if its to be him.

Just to add i thought Smith was back to his battling best(maybe its because Legge isn't next to him now?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, osprey said:

Amoo never looks that interested, long time since he had a decent game in my opinion

Have to agree,never really taken to Amoo for some reason,as it stands i would sooner see Monty and Wozza out wide and thats from me who has never really rated Monty as a wide man either 🙂 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Brian said:

I get that Vale are not an easy watch at the moment, but some of the comments on here beggar belief.

The squad is in transition, with Brown, Legge, Joyce and Pope all struggling to match the standards of last season. 

Some of the signings have looked short term at best.

However, there are some good points emerging, if people wish to look for them.

Hurst and Rodney (apart from his goal) had poor days today, but they are both developing fast.

Guthrie and Taylor both made good contributions today, and should prove to be good signings.

Smith and Brisley were solid today. Smith has fallen below his standards for the first time in 4 seasons lately, but I think he has earned more respect than he is given by some on this site.

Conlon was a great pick as Captain, and is good every game, but was tremendous today, both in play and in leadership.

We were without 3-5 key players today, and dug out a result against a team that started in the top 4.

There are still some serious issues to sort out, perhaps including changing the system we play, maybe finding one which suits our better players.

Put Gibbons and Worrall (plus maybe Montano) into our second half team today, and things will look a lot better.

Finally, Pugh, a rookie manager, has 4 points from 2 league games, so deserves at least the benefit of the doubt!

smiths always been a non league defender carried by legge until this season which has showed up his shortcomings.

• Haha 2

Advert:

12 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I am very content tonight me owd fruit

People said lets see how we do when we play a decent side,well we did and away from home,battled for the point imo so yes i am content with the points return so far,did i want Pugh NO,am i ok with it now i guess so so i will back him if its to be him.

Just to add i thought Smith was back to his battling best(maybe its because Legge isn't next to him now?)

i would hardly say we " battled" that first half was as bad as weve been this season which isnt hard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

It's interesting to hear forest greens interpretation of our team on the commentary they seem to have noticed how poor we are 

I never heard that tbf,i heard them say how we sit in but then go forward unlike Carlisle and Cambridge who has it happens both lost there without scoring