Match Thread: Forest Green Rovers v Port Vale

Advert:

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wrote this one off last week as I expected not a lot from this game so to go a goal down and show some character In keeping them out and going on to score a late equaliser shows some grit and determ

Sorry mate but I can’t believe what you’re saying. You say you’re right every single time, well in my opinion you are absolutely wrong in your view of today’s game. Our defence today was ten times bet

Hurst is not the problem and massively unfair to single him out

Posted Images

Monty tested positive for Covid, so that is him out for 2 weeks then.  Just hope none of the other players go down.  Hope you get back to the team quickly.

1 minute ago, theresonlyonemcphee said:

MOTM probably Rodney, for the goal.

Thought Conlon battled hard in midfield and Jake added much needed energy until he tired last 15/20 mins.

Conlon probably MOTM for me, though he wasn't fantastic. Just covered a lot of ground and was consistently attempting things; think he passed it to Rodney for the goal? Was a very captain-y performance in a slog of a game. Constantly in the ref's ear. Just rate the lad.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

youre right apart from the goal we were absolute garbage. pugh out.

I was obviously referring to your comment rather than the performance. The clue was in what I’d quoted!  You’re either a WUM or blind based on your comments. 

• Like 4

Advert:

8 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Joyce was bloody awful!

I thought he player well today. He covered a lot of ground filling in spaces, closing players down.

5 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I’m not able to get I follow, who as our MOTM and how did Jake play?

The FGR commentators after this performance from Vale.  🤣

None stood out, but would probably pick Rodney for his goal that came out of no where really.  

• Like 1

I think that was a very good point at a team around the top 3... I haven't read all the thread yet from during the game but i would guess there was a meltdown somewhere along the lines.

Here is my take on the game,i thought first 15 mins we looked poor just couldn't get in the game,silly foul by Hurst(no need to) gave them their goal other than that i thought we looked solid and defended well,Mills has certainly played better under Pugh(could be because Gibbo on way back). I thought Hurst had his worst game for us.

When we passed it about i thought we looked decent,Rodders was our threat and i thought when Guthrie came on although he didn't have a lot of the ball he won some flick ons and put himself about unsettling defenders and barging into them(pope like).

Got to be happy with 4 points out of 6 under Pugh,i guess those begging for an experienced manager think they would of got 6 out of 6,well for me if we are going down the inexperienced young route then why not give Pugh a chance he has done ok for me up to now. Lets get Monty,wozza and Gibbo back then we should be ok.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I’m not able to get I follow, who as our MOTM and how did Jake play?

For me Rodney because of the goal. Don’t think we would have got a point today if not for him. Taylor was ok nothing to write home about 

Advert:

7 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I was obviously referring to your comment rather than the performance. The clue was in what I’d quoted!  You’re either a WUM or blind based on your comments. 

the performance was as bad as mansfield. we got lucky today. i wont back down over this and since the michael brown shambles ive been right EVERY SINGLE TIME. we need a new experienced manager. pugh will take us down. im not going to repeat myself again over this.

Edited by RayWalkers40yarder
  • Like 1

I get that Vale are not an easy watch at the moment, but some of the comments on here beggar belief.

The squad is in transition, with Brown, Legge, Joyce and Pope all struggling to match the standards of last season. 

Some of the signings have looked short term at best.

However, there are some good points emerging, if people wish to look for them.

Hurst and Rodney (apart from his goal) had poor days today, but they are both developing fast.

Guthrie and Taylor both made good contributions today, and should prove to be good signings.

Smith and Brisley were solid today. Smith has fallen below his standards for the first time in 4 seasons lately, but I think he has earned more respect than he is given by some on this site.

Conlon was a great pick as Captain, and is good every game, but was tremendous today, both in play and in leadership.

We were without 3-5 key players today, and dug out a result against a team that started in the top 4.

There are still some serious issues to sort out, perhaps including changing the system we play, maybe finding one which suits our better players.

Put Gibbons and Worrall (plus maybe Montano) into our second half team today, and things will look a lot better.

Finally, Pugh, a rookie manager, has 4 points from 2 league games, so deserves at least the benefit of the doubt!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I'd go for Crookes personally. We have two left backs, and a CB would make it four CBs excluding him. He's never going to start in regular circumstances and he just doesn't seem to be improving at all.

In theory Crookes should be our CB. He can pass, has a bit of pace and is tall however he's too lightweight and lacking aggression to be anything other than a squad player for cover. What I would say though is he gives us an option to play 3 at the back if needed. You could never play as 3 with Legge or Brisley.

Advert:

19 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Rodney has 5 goals and 2 assists in his last 12 starts.

7 goals and 3 assists from 22 games this season.

Good, that. I really like him. Grafts even when nothing falls to him, and has a proper knack for finishing. Maybe Askey was a transfer magician after all. 

The frustrating thing is that, good as those stats are, I've seen him snatch at a few easy chances or shoot when a lay off might have been a better option.  This is in recent games.  I guess the upside is that this is something that we can develop, as the key attributes seem to the there.

Still all in all a good start to his Vale career.

I think that’s a great point today

Our biggest problem is ball retention, we just can’t keep the ball . Joyce gives the ball away a lot and I think he’s having a poor season
The full backs still worry me and we need better for next season
Jake Taylor will only get better and so will Conlon both have great potential
Manny I’m afraid we have to let go in the summer it’s a shame but there is no point delaying the inevitable

Guthrie certainly put himself about and i hope he has a point to prove

• Like 2

the defence was suspect again, poor marking, not tackling, smith and joyce looking lost most of the match. why do we mark players 10 yds away from then? jake average today . amoo ineffective. besides that ill take a point. (i think).😜