Match Thread: Forest Green Rovers v Port Vale

Advert:

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wrote this one off last week as I expected not a lot from this game so to go a goal down and show some character In keeping them out and going on to score a late equaliser shows some grit and determ

Sorry mate but I can’t believe what you’re saying. You say you’re right every single time, well in my opinion you are absolutely wrong in your view of today’s game. Our defence today was ten times bet

Hurst is not the problem and massively unfair to single him out

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

man of the match. scott brown. FGR shouldve won by a mile today. we got lucky and its papering over HUGE cracks.

Absolute garbage. 

• Like 3

Maybe I am on my own but for me I think Fitzpatrick does a steady job and I feel much calmer with him there than Monty or Crookes.  I am a fan of Monty but playing left wing and if fit next week get him on the wing and hopefully Worrall on the right.

I like Fitz at left back, usually steady
Monty is a bit hit and miss
  • Like 3

Advert:

Just now, theresonlyonemcphee said:

Topped off by his beautiful ball through to put their striker one on one, oh sorry “backpass”!

Yeah that was poor, but I also think he helped us restrict them to very little. Was the only one willing to take the ball of Brown/Brisley/Smith, who should all be permanently banned from trying to pass the ball further than 5 yards.

Solid away point, limited a very good side to few chances and took ours when it came.

People expect us to go and outplay anyone away from home are living on cloud cuckoo land, especially a possession based team like FGR.

Lads battled hard, stayed in the tie and took their chance, slightly frustrated we didn’t keep having a go late on but understandable to secure the point I guess.

Pleasingly we looked rock solid after the goal and saw the game out which is progress on recent late collapses.

Commentary team for FGR were ok, they never said we were poor they said we look lacking of confidence when we get into good areas which is probably due to the overall form in recent months and we’re fairly complimentary of our shape.

FGR had few chances despite possession, goal was a set piece error, and the Brown mess up when he fumbled a straight forward catch that Matt should score the header from. Otherwise very well defensively but just that set piece issue is causing us problems. We panic and look shaken. Do miss Legge and his height there.

Advert:

Just now, valefan16 said:

Solid away point, limited a very good side to few chances and took ours when it came.

People expect us to go and outplay anyone away from home are living on cloud cuckoo land, especially a possession based team like FGR.

Lads battled hard, stayed in the tie and took their chance, slightly frustrated we didn’t keep having a go late on but understandable to secure the point I guess.

Pleasingly we looked rock solid after the goal and saw the game out which is progress on recent late collapses.

Commentary team for FGR were ok, they never said we were poor they said we look lacking of confidence when we get into good areas which is probably due to the overall form in recent months and we’re fairly complimentary of our shape.

FGR had few chances despite possession, goal was a set piece error, and the Brown mess up when he fumbled a straight forward catch that Matt should score the header from. Otherwise very well defensively but just that set piece issue is causing us problems. We panic and look shaken. Do miss Legge and his height there.

happy clapper post. next.

10 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Brown

Gibbo New CB Smith Monty

Conlon Joyce Taylor

Worrall Guthrie Rodney

OR

Brown

Gibbo New CB Smith Monty

Worrall Conlon Taylor Hurst

Rodney Guthrie

Would both be nice. 

For the remainder of this season I totally agree with that. We are desperate for a tall CB with a little bit of pace who can pass a ball. Hopefully we have scouted someone. I still don't think a top 7 push would be beyond us with that team if we can put a few results together to restore the players confidence.

Who would you remove from the squad to make way? I would definitely keep Crookes because his versatility so for me it would have to be Legge or Brisley.

24 minutes ago, MBE said:

Generally defended well, although we gave away a ridiculous free kick away for the the goal. I don't think they really threatened. Offensively we were very poor - struggled to string 4 passes to tighter to open them up.

Big difference though playing Rodney out wide with a lovely goal. Today has shown once again he cannot play as a lone central striker.  Just doesn't win enough headers 50/50 balls ,hold the ball up or win a free kicks.

Pugh has a lot of work to do to make us better going forward but at least we don't look like we are going to concede a lot of goals anymore.

The big take away for me is we have been below par but still got a point at a side which could have gone top of the league today. I don't think we could have said too often in the past we have played poorly but got a point.

Hopefully onwards and upwards.

I think Rodney can play as a central striker - but not on his own. He and Pope looked good together against Grimsby and Rodney got on the score sheet. So next week, I'd like to see us go 442 again with Guthrie and Rodney up front.

There's one thing about Rodney - he may have a poor first touch, lacks instant control and sometimes looks way out of position but opposing defences will start to learn that you can't leave him alone, especially one on one, for a minute  - and that's a great asset to have. Eight goals so far and more to come and he's only 22 and in his first full season of league football. 

Despite the criticism he's come in for, he has great future in my view. 

• Like 5

Advert:

2 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I think we miss a tall CB not legge though. 

Just now, MBE said:

For the remainder of this season I totally agree with that. We are desperate for a tall CB with a little bit of pace who can pass a ball. Hopefully we have scouted someone. I still don't think a top 7 push would be beyond us with that team if we can put a few results together to restore the players confidence.

Who would you remove from the squad to make way? I would definitely keep Crookes because his versatility so for me it would have to be Legge or Brisley.

I'd go for Crookes personally. We have two left backs, and a CB would make it four CBs excluding him. He's never going to start in regular circumstances and he just doesn't seem to be improving at all. 

• Like 1