Match Thread: Forest Green Rovers v Port Vale

Generally defended well, although we gave away a ridiculous free kick away for the the goal. I don't think they really threatened. Offensively we were very poor - struggled to string 4 passes to tighter to open them up.

Big difference though playing Rodney out wide with a lovely goal. Today has shown once again he cannot play as a lone central striker.  Just doesn't win enough headers 50/50 balls ,hold the ball up or win a free kicks.

Pugh has a lot of work to do to make us better going forward but at least we don't look like we are going to concede a lot of goals anymore.

The big take away for me is we have been below par but still got a point at a side which could have gone top of the league today. I don't think we could have said too often in the past we have played poorly but got a point.

Hopefully onwards and upwards.

• Like 2

Advert:

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wrote this one off last week as I expected not a lot from this game so to go a goal down and show some character In keeping them out and going on to score a late equaliser shows some grit and determ

Sorry mate but I can’t believe what you’re saying. You say you’re right every single time, well in my opinion you are absolutely wrong in your view of today’s game. Our defence today was ten times bet

Hurst is not the problem and massively unfair to single him out

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Great point if you had offered us a point at the start of the day we would of all taken it 

Lots of people were saying they would take a point before ko.

I wouldn’t mind betting that most would have take 4 points from 6 and be unbeaten from Pugh’s first 2 games.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

man of the match. scott brown. FGR shouldve won by a mile today. we got lucky and its papering over HUGE cracks.

I thought Brown was average today, like the rest of the Vale team and the FGR team. Conlon is clearly Vale's best player. Taylor is a massive upgrade in midfield. Point was a fair result.

We played reasonably well and got nowt at the beginning end of an awful run. An underwhelming performance but grinding out a result for a few games could well be our route out of it. 
Rodders, second touch often a header and all that but getting 8 goals in half a season played in different positions is not to be sniffed at and today’s was a beaut. Great result without some key players and more than saw the game out against a good outfit at this level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

Just now, TylerB said:

Decent point in the end, you can't say anything else. But it looked to be two poor teams on the performances, and I can't help but think the game was there to be won today had we just gone for it a little more.

As frustrating as he can be and as raw as he looks at times, Rodney is one of the very few positives on the pitch that we actually have.

Make youre mind up. We are an awful team you say and now you say the game was there to be won against a top seven team without doubt at end of season.

Maybe a draw is all we should expect today. We are not the strongest team when first 11 all fit, today a draw is a great result and we still have five players in starting 11 that we all know are not good enough

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Reasonable point. Players worked hard (especially Conlon) and I felt we could have nicked it at the end, though it was understandable that we protected the point.

Rodney is really developing into a good forward. A great finish and always puts a shift in, even when he lacks service. Guthrie seemed to win everything in the air and certainly didn't look lazy (as Bradford suggest), but we offered little up front so unsurprising to see him fairly quiet.

For all their possession, Brown didn't have to do anything particularly difficult.

I still think the full backs are weak links, so if we can get Gibbons and Monty back in there, get Worrall back onto the flanks, and sign a centre half, then we should be fine to be mid-table.

Pugh has made a good a start as he could hope for. A win next week will most likely see him installed till May.

Would still be happier with two up front and only 1 wide. Three in middle inc. Conlon and Taylor will give us the extra forward player when we break.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moz said:

I thought Brown was average today, like the rest of the Vale team and the FGR team. Conlon is clearly Vale's best player. Taylor is a massive upgrade in midfield. Point was a fair result.

Agree about Conlon. Didn't think Taylor had a great game, or Joyce. Why anyone who watched the game would give Brown man of the match for is beyond me; his main contribution was clearances.  Looked a bit shaky on a few of the crosses.

• Like 1

man of the match. scott brown. FGR shouldve won by a mile today. we got lucky and its papering over HUGE cracks.

Brown hardly had a save to make and should have been challenging for their goal when it’s dropping in the 6 yard box

So not sure if you watched the game
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

Fair comments from Radio Gloucester. Vale stayed in the game and eeked out a point. FGR the better team but were below par.

Yes I agree . Well Said. Come on the vale . A Brilliant point . Today . 

Advert:

Walsall next week and then Scunny and Southend, who are bottom 4.

You should be looking at 6/7 points from then if we have any aspirations of keeping this season alive. Pugh is sitting in a great position.

Worrall, Gibbons, and Monty will be big additions if we can keep them fit. 

1 hour ago, sunny boslem said:

Some cocks on here 

I get the feeling some are coming over from that Wonder of You site, they seem happy at failure.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vale at home said:

Yes I agree . Well Said. Come on the vale . A Brilliant point . Today . 

The FGR commentators came across very good and knew a bit about Vale players.  They were neutral and said it how it was.  

A point is a point and could be valuable at the end of the season.

• Like 1

Advert:

Well battled Vale, FGR were top 3 going into this game, they're well organized and difficult to play against. Happy with a point. not much between those two teams.

Rodney plays better when he's wider on the left and comes inside rather than direct through the middle, liked Guthrie - put himself about but I guess he didn't score a hat trick so some fans won't be happy. Jake Taylor class.

Brown

Gibbo New CB Smith Monty

Conlon Joyce Taylor

Worrall Guthrie Rodney

OR

Brown

Gibbo New CB Smith Monty

Worrall Conlon Taylor Hurst

Rodney Guthrie

Would both be nice. 

• Like 1