onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Forest Green Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

We battered them at home so im not doing cartwheels about the result but considering last league away game conceded four and didnt haven't attempts on target v Sunderland and had four of our best players out yesterday a very creditable result, performance I have no idea has didnt watch .

All the same Pugh has improved us defensively in the two  league games as only conceded one so fair play he is doing ok 

Advert

1 hour ago, philmpv said:
1 hour ago, darren1810 said:
Surely it's down to the keeper to know the rules though Phil ? 
Probably just me,but I found it unusual as it's not like play had stopped .

I'm sure their keeper did know the rule, but that particular one is entirely dependent on the refs interpretation. What constitutes a backpass to one ref possibly doesn't to another. So if you're unsure you should ask in my opinion

Of course, being one of the better refs he knew what should be done. Was it an intended back pass, mis-kick, or deflection,  not always obvious.  Watching on a screen closer to the game, with no crowds, player and coach chat also gives a different insight to the game. Not my preference but the way it is at present.

Thought we were much better in the second half yesterday. Guthrie looked quite useful when he came on winning a few headers. Rodney took his goal well but he does give the ball away cheaply sometimes. Conlon was the stand out player for me, looks like making him captain has spurred him on a bit. God knows what Brown was doing with the free kick that ended up hitting the crossbar, can only assume that it held up in the wind.

6 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

That 1st half was dire. We improved in the 2nd half , with a battling performance,  but Vale were lucky . It could have been 4-1. Still , a point away against the leaders is good, even if the football from both sides was awful. The next 3 fixtures will  tell a lot. 

But we could have won4-1 against them at Vale. And we could have run up double figures against Orient. And Scunny could have been buried. Daft thing to say. It didn’t happen and we got a deserved point for defending well and taking our chance. 

1 hour ago, Walter said:
10 hours ago, Clayts said:
OK, thinking back through various posts on this forum, both in this thread and over the last few months, I think I've worked out why our players often lack confidence in their decision making, look unsure of themselves and possibly even why they frequently get injured. It's because they're tied up in mental and physical knots due to the quantum state in which they are playing. Today our woeful, stealing a wage (November) piss-the-league (September) quality non-scoring 6th-highest-scoring players came up against a tinpot, well-funded, rank average, top of the table side with the kind of backroom team and recruitment set-up we should emulate but whose players are nothing special. We were simultaneously expected to lose to them comfortably, beat the likes of them if we're not happy-clappers, but would gladly take a point against them, which is an improvement because we would never have got a point against them a few weeks ago when we drew 1-1 against them having dominated the match. Or something like that. emoji3061.png

Isnt that just because lots of different people follow vale and are allowed to express their opinions how ever different they may be.

People seem to take great pride in presenting two conflicting opinions from this forum, and then pointing and laughing, wheeling away in smug satisfaction having exposed the forum for it's myriad contradictions, like OVF is an anthropomorphic being, and not just hundreds of Vale fans stapling their opinion to a virtual noticeboard. 

5 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I agree here but one thing did concern me. 

Did anyone else hear the FGR commentary say that their keeper asked if he could pick the ball up off that back pass / non back pass .

Surely that's not allowed as the ref let's the keeper decide that for himself otherwise it's rather biased to FGR. 

Just something I picked up on which was rather astonishing but yes you are right he was anonymous which is a good trait in a referee 

I believe the goal keeper is allowed to ask for clarification, just the same as if Brown asked the ref. Would only be biased if the ref did not say anything when the other goal keeper asks.

52 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

I believe the goal keeper is allowed to ask for clarification, just the same as if Brown asked the ref. Would only be biased if the ref did not say anything when the other goal keeper asks.

They say you learn something new every day. I find that quite strange. Surely the onus is on the players to know the rules.

For example I wouldn't expect a Snooker referee to intervene, in fact the other week a player potted two reds in succession as he had a mad moment and the ref didn't say that he ought to be playing a colour. He let him pot the 2nd red and called the foul. 

I think bias was definitely the wrong word to be used by me but even though a few of you have pointed out what happens it doesn't affect my opinion that the onus is on the Keeper rather than the ref 

They say you learn something new every day. I find that quite strange. Surely the onus is on the players to know the rules.
For example I wouldn't expect a Snooker referee to intervene, in fact the other week a player potted two reds in succession as he had a mad moment and the ref didn't say that he ought to be playing a colour. He let him pot the 2nd red and called the foul. 
I think bias was definitely the wrong word to be used by me but even though a few of you have pointed out what happens it doesn't affect my opinion that the onus is on the Keeper rather than the ref 
Football is not so clear cut as snooker, the referee's opinion on how the rule applies is final in L2.

Find it incredible on here when we all support the same team and want the same thing that people resort to personal and derogatory insults.

You get dragged into it and it's difficult not to respond sometimes, I'm no Saint in that respect 

But good grief some of the comments are pure crass towards fellow fans 

Archived