onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Forest Green Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

2 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Solid away point, limited a very good side to few chances and took ours when it came.

People expect us to go and outplay anyone away from home are living on cloud cuckoo land, especially a possession based team like FGR.

Lads battled hard, stayed in the tie and took their chance, slightly frustrated we didn’t keep having a go late on but understandable to secure the point I guess.

Pleasingly we looked rock solid after the goal and saw the game out which is progress on recent late collapses.

Commentary team for FGR were ok, they never said we were poor they said we look lacking of confidence when we get into good areas which is probably due to the overall form in recent months and we’re fairly complimentary of our shape.

FGR had few chances despite possession, goal was a set piece error, and the Brown mess up when he fumbled a straight forward catch that Matt should score the header from. Otherwise very well defensively but just that set piece issue is causing us problems. We panic and look shaken. Do miss Legge and his height there.

I think we miss a tall CB not legge though. 

Advert

Just now, MBE said:

For the remainder of this season I totally agree with that. We are desperate for a tall CB with a little bit of pace who can pass a ball. Hopefully we have scouted someone. I still don't think a top 7 push would be beyond us with that team if we can put a few results together to restore the players confidence.

Who would you remove from the squad to make way? I would definitely keep Crookes because his versatility so for me it would have to be Legge or Brisley.

I'd go for Crookes personally. We have two left backs, and a CB would make it four CBs excluding him. He's never going to start in regular circumstances and he just doesn't seem to be improving at all. 

1 minute ago, theresonlyonemcphee said:

MOTM probably Rodney, for the goal.

Thought Conlon battled hard in midfield and Jake added much needed energy until he tired last 15/20 mins.

Conlon probably MOTM for me, though he wasn't fantastic. Just covered a lot of ground and was consistently attempting things; think he passed it to Rodney for the goal? Was a very captain-y performance in a slog of a game. Constantly in the ref's ear. Just rate the lad.

4 minutes ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

youre right apart from the goal we were absolute garbage. pugh out.

I was obviously referring to your comment rather than the performance. The clue was in what I’d quoted!  You’re either a WUM or blind based on your comments. 

5 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I’m not able to get I follow, who as our MOTM and how did Jake play?

The FGR commentators after this performance from Vale.  🤣

None stood out, but would probably pick Rodney for his goal that came out of no where really.  

I think that was a very good point at a team around the top 3... I haven't read all the thread yet from during the game but i would guess there was a meltdown somewhere along the lines.

Here is my take on the game,i thought first 15 mins we looked poor just couldn't get in the game,silly foul by Hurst(no need to) gave them their goal other than that i thought we looked solid and defended well,Mills has certainly played better under Pugh(could be because Gibbo on way back). I thought Hurst had his worst game for us.

When we passed it about i thought we looked decent,Rodders was our threat and i thought when Guthrie came on although he didn't have a lot of the ball he won some flick ons and put himself about unsettling defenders and barging into them(pope like).

Got to be happy with 4 points out of 6 under Pugh,i guess those begging for an experienced manager think they would of got 6 out of 6,well for me if we are going down the inexperienced young route then why not give Pugh a chance he has done ok for me up to now. Lets get Monty,wozza and Gibbo back then we should be ok.

7 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I was obviously referring to your comment rather than the performance. The clue was in what I’d quoted!  You’re either a WUM or blind based on your comments. 

the performance was as bad as mansfield. we got lucky today. i wont back down over this and since the michael brown shambles ive been right EVERY SINGLE TIME. we need a new experienced manager. pugh will take us down. im not going to repeat myself again over this.

I get that Vale are not an easy watch at the moment, but some of the comments on here beggar belief.

The squad is in transition, with Brown, Legge, Joyce and Pope all struggling to match the standards of last season. 

Some of the signings have looked short term at best.

However, there are some good points emerging, if people wish to look for them.

Hurst and Rodney (apart from his goal) had poor days today, but they are both developing fast.

Guthrie and Taylor both made good contributions today, and should prove to be good signings.

Smith and Brisley were solid today. Smith has fallen below his standards for the first time in 4 seasons lately, but I think he has earned more respect than he is given by some on this site.

Conlon was a great pick as Captain, and is good every game, but was tremendous today, both in play and in leadership.

We were without 3-5 key players today, and dug out a result against a team that started in the top 4.

There are still some serious issues to sort out, perhaps including changing the system we play, maybe finding one which suits our better players.

Put Gibbons and Worrall (plus maybe Montano) into our second half team today, and things will look a lot better.

Finally, Pugh, a rookie manager, has 4 points from 2 league games, so deserves at least the benefit of the doubt!

Archived