onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Forest Green Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

1 minute ago, philmpv said:

Shall we credit that one to pope doha? emoji38.png

Not even in the squad and you're still obsessed with Tom Pope. Weird individual you. I notice you couldn't bring yourself to say anything on Tuesday when he played out the game with a fractured arm, concussion and a ruptured ligament.

Reasonable point. Players worked hard (especially Conlon) and I felt we could have nicked it at the end, though it was understandable that we protected the point.

Rodney is really developing into a good forward. A great finish and always puts a shift in, even when he lacks service. Guthrie seemed to win everything in the air and certainly didn't look lazy (as Bradford suggest), but we offered little up front so unsurprising to see him fairly quiet.

For all their possession, Brown didn't have to do anything particularly difficult.

I still think the full backs are weak links, so if we can get Gibbons and Monty back in there, get Worrall back onto the flanks, and sign a centre half, then we should be fine to be mid-table. I think we've left ourselves with far too much to do for top 7.

Pugh has made a good a start as he could hope for. A win next week will most likely see him installed till May.

Generally defended well, although we gave away a ridiculous free kick away for the the goal. I don't think they really threatened. Offensively we were very poor - struggled to string 4 passes to tighter to open them up.

Big difference though playing Rodney out wide with a lovely goal. Today has shown once again he cannot play as a lone central striker.  Just doesn't win enough headers 50/50 balls ,hold the ball up or win a free kicks.

Pugh has a lot of work to do to make us better going forward but at least we don't look like we are going to concede a lot of goals anymore.

The big take away for me is we have been below par but still got a point at a side which could have gone top of the league today. I don't think we could have said too often in the past we have played poorly but got a point.

Hopefully onwards and upwards.

8 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Great point if you had offered us a point at the start of the day we would of all taken it 

Lots of people were saying they would take a point before ko.

I wouldn’t mind betting that most would have take 4 points from 6 and be unbeaten from Pugh’s first 2 games.

2 minutes ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

man of the match. scott brown. FGR shouldve won by a mile today. we got lucky and its papering over HUGE cracks.

I thought Brown was average today, like the rest of the Vale team and the FGR team. Conlon is clearly Vale's best player. Taylor is a massive upgrade in midfield. Point was a fair result.

We played reasonably well and got nowt at the beginning end of an awful run. An underwhelming performance but grinding out a result for a few games could well be our route out of it. 
Rodders, second touch often a header and all that but getting 8 goals in half a season played in different positions is not to be sniffed at and today’s was a beaut. Great result without some key players and more than saw the game out against a good outfit at this level. 

Just now, TylerB said:

Decent point in the end, you can't say anything else. But it looked to be two poor teams on the performances, and I can't help but think the game was there to be won today had we just gone for it a little more.

As frustrating as he can be and as raw as he looks at times, Rodney is one of the very few positives on the pitch that we actually have.

Make youre mind up. We are an awful team you say and now you say the game was there to be won against a top seven team without doubt at end of season.

Maybe a draw is all we should expect today. We are not the strongest team when first 11 all fit, today a draw is a great result and we still have five players in starting 11 that we all know are not good enough

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Reasonable point. Players worked hard (especially Conlon) and I felt we could have nicked it at the end, though it was understandable that we protected the point.

Rodney is really developing into a good forward. A great finish and always puts a shift in, even when he lacks service. Guthrie seemed to win everything in the air and certainly didn't look lazy (as Bradford suggest), but we offered little up front so unsurprising to see him fairly quiet.

For all their possession, Brown didn't have to do anything particularly difficult.

I still think the full backs are weak links, so if we can get Gibbons and Monty back in there, get Worrall back onto the flanks, and sign a centre half, then we should be fine to be mid-table.

Pugh has made a good a start as he could hope for. A win next week will most likely see him installed till May.

Would still be happier with two up front and only 1 wide. Three in middle inc. Conlon and Taylor will give us the extra forward player when we break.

Archived