Carol on P ‘n’ G tonight

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^This - those saying that Carols interview didn't inspire them with confidence, that the players are snakes etc obviously weren't listening to a word that she said!   We are going through un

There's nothing wrong with the players apologising to Carol. Her exact words (according to The Sentinel) were “The response I have had from players…I had players phoning me this week. I did have playe

Some of the commentd on this thread are genuinely disturbing. Carol has paid out millions over the odds to rescue the club from Smurthwaite, millions more to keep the club going through an unprecedent

3 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Are you the one who knows a Grimsby fan name Graham, if so I think we have a mutual friend 🙂.

No it wasn't you I had in mind, the two stoke pleb battling it out and the guy who had been a vale fan "for 60 years and seen everything" and then went on to say we should be going for established promotion chasing managers Flynn and Duff were the ones I had in mind.

One of the highlights of praise and grumble is when they start the call with ive been a "insert team" fan for 70 years. 

I tend to listen for entertainment purposes only. 

4 minutes ago, ginge said:

One of the highlights of praise and grumble is when they start the call with ive been a "insert team" fan for 70 years. 

It's like a badge of honour. They say the many decades that they have watched the vale for and then go on to express some of the most ludicrous opinions and views. 

• Like 1

People complain when Carol didn't come out with a statement and now complain that she said the wrong thing. Some people must want Norman the clown back. Carol is doing a good job in difficult circumstances and I trust that her and Colin will make a decision when the right time comes for the club. 

Just now, Walka003 said:

It's like a badge of honour. They say the many decades that they have watched the vale for and then go on to express some of the most ludicrous opinions and views. 

Always gets me how they add an extra 5 years on as the phone call goes on. 

• Like 2

Advert:

3 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Yes Graham is a neighbour, sensible football fan. Ha Ha yes must admit always enjoy listening to Jimmy the Sjoke fan , controversial.

Jimmy...  The man contradicts himself every time he speaks. Full of sh*te.

9 minutes ago, ginge said:

Still waiting for Dave vs Ben.

I cringe whenever Brian from Weston Coyney comes on. For years he's only rang in to announce the impending financial demise of the Vale.  Never calls about the game,  good or bad, just that we've only got 12 to 18 months before we're gonners and any investment that we do have, is withdrawn. 

He must be gutted how we we manage to keep going,  year after year, despite his fiscal knowledge and logic 

Advert:

21 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Carols scored a massive PR own goal by coming out with what she said about the players. That kind of stuff should have stayed in house.

I'm afraid Carol is disappointing at the moment. When she talks about Danny,Frank,and Billy she talks like a supporter. They may have been half decent players but they have no experience whatsoever in management. Indeed Sinclair has been at so many clubs trying to get into management and all have ended in failure. Ok to sack Askey but what was the plan 'B'.Has she spoken to Rudge? What's  the point of him being there if under these circumstances she doesn't discuss the way forward. There are many examples of successful business people failing at football. I really hope Carol does not end up falling into that category. 

Very worrying at the moment.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

I'm afraid Carol is disappointing at the moment. When she talks about Danny,Frank,and Billy she talks like a supporter. They may have been half decent players but they have no experience whatsoever in management. Indeed Sinclair has been at so many clubs trying to get into management and all have ended in failure. Ok to sack Askey but what was the plan 'B'.Has she spoken to Rudge? What's  the point of him being there if under these circumstances she doesn't discuss the way forward. There are many examples of successful business people failing at football. I really hope Carol does not end up falling into that category. 

You’re making a lot of assumptions there. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Rudge has worked with Pugh for a while now,  and would assess his potential as a matter of course, and would keep Carol in the picture on football matters,  Pugh became the stand-in Sinclair did not. Some coaches become managers some do not, not everyone wants the pressure.  Nor do I  expect Carol to explain everything.

• Like 2

Advert:

1 hour ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Carol Shanahan talks to John Rudge all the time. There probably isn't a plan B because Rudge and Shanahan were pleased with a lot of what Askey was doing behind the scenes on the structure of the club. 

This is speculation but I strongly suspect they are both genuinely upset he is gone hence there wasn't really a plan B. There is an obvious problem now having put a structure in place, that was largely Askey's, do they bring in a new man and rip it up; or do they look for someone who likes the template in place. 

Successful organisations don't take these decisions lightly. Most managers struggle to replicate there previous form at a new club. Adams worked at Vale but had a lot of flops on his CV. There isn't a template perfect manager. Current trend is extroverts but someone like Paisley or Joe Faggan were anything but; in another era of the extrovert manager. I loved Rudge and have been privileged to sit with him at a number of football games. He is dry and witty but he was never as quick with a quote as a manager as most but still built something special here. There is a lot more to it than arm chair fans randomly throwing a name into the hat because they like a particular character. It's easy to build a concensus among fans that they want a manager sacked. The reality is that concensus is pretty fractured .... as most fans are actually saying they want the manager replaced by their own choice. Bad fit rushed appointments, leading to another sacking when it doesn't work, are the norm  in modern football. Average tenure averages around 1 year and has been as low as 0.86 years in the last decade. In real businesses this wouldn't happen because people buying chocolate bars aren't crying out for the man at the helm to get the sack if they decide they don't like the new packaging. My view is owners fail because they end up running a business the way that football people and fans see as normal, the soap opera of revolving characters as ratings are continually chased 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

What did he say?

What did he say wrong? Nothing, just tried to explain what went on with him in last 18 months. Never slagged Askey off, in fact said what a nice guy he was, I have now got a different view of askey, and it is worse not better. All this is assuming what Tom said was true, I have no reason to think it was not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Properman said:

What did he say wrong? Nothing, just tried to explain what went on with him in last 18 months. Never slagged Askey off, in fact said what a nice guy he was, I have now got a different view of askey, and it is worse not better. All this is assuming what Tom said was true, I have no reason to think it was not.

Can you elaborate please, was this on Radio Stoke ?