- pinched your dinner money at school
- took your ball
- picked on you / gave you a slap
- stole your girlfriend
- sh*gged your Mrs
- refused you an autograph
- didn't return your calls/texts
- all of the above?!
(you must feel physically sick whenever you go past the Club Shop and see Pope's image on there, along with other legends of the club!)

Advert

I've never quite understood the moaning about the moaning.

I like many others here support the Vale for enjoyment however few and far between those moments are.

I mainly come onto ovf to read about Port Vale who I follow for enjoyment. Sometimes I will post something if I feel it adds a different perspective to the discussion.

Facebook did a study a while back where they only showed some people negative posts and other positive posts. The people who they showed the negative posts generally began posting negative things themselves and the ones who had been shown positive posts generally posted positive things. I stopped using Facebook regularly about this time.

When you come on here and all you read is negativity you can't help but let it rub off on you and you start not enjoying something that you use for enjoyment. I'm not saying everyone should view the club through rose tinted spectacles but a few weeks ago we beat Bolton away, a team we never beat 6 3. Most of the talk was about how it was only 1 game and we were weak defensively. After a run that was as bad as we were on perhaps people should try and enjoy the moments like that rather than pick up on the few negative aspects of the day.

58 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I don't hate Pope. I just have a different opinion to a lot of you, based on what I've seen, and am not afraid to air it. I'm not stuck in 2013 like a lot of you seem to be.

How about 2014 then? - 16 goals

no?......2015 - 12 goals (still 1 in 3)

maybe.....2018 - 19 goals

try.....2019 - 14 goals

and.....2020 - only 10 goals for the 34-year-old (in a shortened season)

Seems that you are still stuck in 2013 as you keep referring back to it, seething that he scored so many goals that season!

(.....or maybe you're secretly a Bury fan, and are peed off that he didn't score as many for them in his 2 seasons than he has for us every season?!)

try.....2019 - 14 goals
Seems that you are still stuck in 2013 as you keep referring back to it, seething that he scored so many goals that season!
(.....or maybe you're secretly a Bury fan, and are peed off that he didn't score as many for them in his 2 seasons than he has for us every season?!)
Calm down precious, it's only my opinion. People are allowed to have their own you know?

37 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

try.....2019 - 14 goals

Pretty decent that. Can we sign him?

Pope 20/21 -18 appearances 3 goals 1 assist.

Rodney 20/21  25 appearances 7 goals 3 assists.

Conlon 20/21 25 appearances 4 goals 3 assists 

Worrall 20/21 23 appearances 2 goals 10 assists.

Monty 20/21 19 appearances 4 goals 1 assist

Leon Legge 22 appearances 3 goals 0 assists.

Theo Robinson 22 appearances 4 goals 0 assists 

Cullen 20/21 12 appearances 3 goals 0 assists.

2 hours ago, wotsyobeef said:

When you come on here and all you read is negativity you can't help but let it rub off on you and you start not enjoying something that you use for enjoyment. I'm not saying everyone should view the club through rose tinted spectacles but a few weeks ago we beat Bolton away, a team we never beat 6 3. Most of the talk was about how it was only 1 game and we were weak defensively. 

Surely the subsequent 6 game winless running, shipping 4 to Walsall and Barrow, and the fact it was the sole win in 12 games, suggests those moaners were correct? That it was a bit of a fluke and we weren't good defensively? I think people enjoyed it (I did), but also felt it was a bit of a weird game in which we were aided by a shambolic Bolton backline.

I get your point but the fans you're referring to, the 'moaners', were proven to be bang on the money, whether you liked it or not, or thought it was overly negative.

We may want positivity but there's also a case of calling things how they are. Unfortunately, if a club is struggling, people are going to largely be negative, as that's how things are going. If the team starts to sort itself out and win games, people will be positive.

I don't consider it a remit of a fan to be positive. I accept many do think this way, but if stuffs bad, I'm going to say it's bad. I'd rather us be fixing the bad stuff and doing well in the future then pretending all is well and good when it clearly isn't.

My take on the latest media saga and the Tom Pope roadshow.

1 It is inconceivable that Shanahan and Askey hadn't discussed Pope's captaincy as he was charged, found guilty and warned about his future conduct (relating to a number of tweets before the EFL game with Stoke) at the end of the Aspin era. I think the actual tribunal actually took place just after Askey had taken over  I suspect that the outcome of any Askey/Shanahan conversation was that Pope needed to understand if it happened again he would lose the captaincy. My guess is the conversation was suposed to be a warning about future conduct. I suspect there are the 2 sides to the conversation between Askey and Pope. There is what Pope thinks he heard and what Askey thinks he said. Regardless of Pope's comments to the contrary it clearly led to a fracture between them. If Askey hadn't wanted Pope as captain at that point he could have just sacked him. Its also pretty clear Askey  wanted more mobility up front than Pope offers. 

2 Was Pope better than the alternatives last season? Its debatable one way or the other but for me he was a player in slow decline, whether he was our second best or best striker. While young Pope wasn't fast he was mobile. He spent a large part of his career away from Vale as a second striker in the channels and it was his job to run the channels when he played with Richards. He also played a small number of games wide right.  Its pretty clear this season he could never dream of doing that. That certainly makes him an increasingly one dimensional player.

3 Could we be a successful side with Pope up front? I think you could but not in a 4 4 2. Wycombe did it with Akinfenwe but they played 4 2 3 1. If you play 2 out and out forwards one of the front  2 is going to get dragged into the midfield battle and Pope is going to end up as isolated as upfront on his own.

Gut reaction is its all academic now, if the ligament damage is more than superficial I suspect he's played his last game. Hard to see any manager wanting a 36 year old as a player in a 20 man squad.

If it is his Vale career has been ones of many more highs and lows. Personally I preferred Pope version 1, who just got his head down and avoided controversy.  Pope 2 has at times tended to disprove the old maxim that wisdom comes with age on a few too many occasions. Maybe the best solution, with hindsight,  would have allowed to leave last season and play one last season as disputed main striker somewhere else and Askey to move forward in the direction he wanted. We now would appear to have no manager and no Tom Pope.

Surely the subsequent 6 game winless running, shipping 4 to Walsall and Barrow, and the fact it was the sole win in 12 games, suggests those moaners were correct? That it was a bit of a fluke and we weren't good defensively? I think people enjoyed it (I did), but also felt it was a bit of a weird game in which we were aided by a shambolic Bolton backline.
I get your point but the fans you're referring to, the 'moaners', were proven to be bang on the money, whether you liked it or not, or thought it was overly negative.
We may want positivity but there's also a case of calling things how they are. Unfortunately, if a club is struggling, people are going to largely be negative, as that's how things are going. If the team starts to sort itself out and win games, people will be positive.
I don't consider it a remit of a fan to be positive. I accept many do think this way, but if stuffs bad, I'm going to say it's bad. I'd rather us be fixing the bad stuff and doing well in the future then pretending all is well and good when it clearly isn't.
I suppose it depends on how people want to live their life. I want to enjoy the moments I can in life rather than dwell on the bad.

When people are happy they tend to make a post and move on with their life. People who moan tend to bang on and on about it in what often appears like an attempt to make others as miserable as them.

Maybe it would be nice if when people want to have a whinge about the vale they restrict themselves to 4 or 5 posts on that subject before moving on to the next subject they want to complain about.

Each to their own I suppose but sometimes it would be nice to come off ovf happier than when I went on rather than dragged down into others depressive state.

9 months ago football was taken away from us now we have it back I intend to enjoy it as best I can.

47 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

I suppose it depends on how people want to live their life. I want to enjoy the moments I can in life rather than dwell on the bad.

When people are happy they tend to make a post and move on with their life. People who moan tend to bang on and on about it in what often appears like an attempt to make others as miserable as them.

Maybe it would be nice if when people want to have a whinge about the vale they restrict themselves to 4 or 5 posts on that subject before moving on to the next subject they want to complain about.

Each to their own I suppose but sometimes it would be nice to come off ovf happier than when I went on rather than dragged down into others depressive state.

9 months ago football was taken away from us now we have it back I intend to enjoy it as best I can.

All fair, but people accurately surmising that the Bolton game is a fluke should not be a target of criticism.

They weren't being overly negative, depressive, or trying to drag others down - just pointing a fact out, which proved to be correct.

Archived