onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Carol on P ‘n’ G tonight

Guitar Ray

Advert

21 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Carols scored a massive PR own goal by coming out with what she said about the players. That kind of stuff should have stayed in house.

I'm afraid Carol is disappointing at the moment. When she talks about Danny,Frank,and Billy she talks like a supporter. They may have been half decent players but they have no experience whatsoever in management. Indeed Sinclair has been at so many clubs trying to get into management and all have ended in failure. Ok to sack Askey but what was the plan 'B'.Has she spoken to Rudge? What's  the point of him being there if under these circumstances she doesn't discuss the way forward. There are many examples of successful business people failing at football. I really hope Carol does not end up falling into that category. 

Very worrying at the moment.

32 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

I'm afraid Carol is disappointing at the moment. When she talks about Danny,Frank,and Billy she talks like a supporter. They may have been half decent players but they have no experience whatsoever in management. Indeed Sinclair has been at so many clubs trying to get into management and all have ended in failure. Ok to sack Askey but what was the plan 'B'.Has she spoken to Rudge? What's  the point of him being there if under these circumstances she doesn't discuss the way forward. There are many examples of successful business people failing at football. I really hope Carol does not end up falling into that category. 

You’re making a lot of assumptions there. 

20 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Rudge has worked with Pugh for a while now,  and would assess his potential as a matter of course, and would keep Carol in the picture on football matters,  Pugh became the stand-in Sinclair did not. Some coaches become managers some do not, not everyone wants the pressure.  Nor do I  expect Carol to explain everything.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Carol Shanahan talks to John Rudge all the time. There probably isn't a plan B because Rudge and Shanahan were pleased with a lot of what Askey was doing behind the scenes on the structure of the club. 

This is speculation but I strongly suspect they are both genuinely upset he is gone hence there wasn't really a plan B. There is an obvious problem now having put a structure in place, that was largely Askey's, do they bring in a new man and rip it up; or do they look for someone who likes the template in place. 

Successful organisations don't take these decisions lightly. Most managers struggle to replicate there previous form at a new club. Adams worked at Vale but had a lot of flops on his CV. There isn't a template perfect manager. Current trend is extroverts but someone like Paisley or Joe Faggan were anything but; in another era of the extrovert manager. I loved Rudge and have been privileged to sit with him at a number of football games. He is dry and witty but he was never as quick with a quote as a manager as most but still built something special here. There is a lot more to it than arm chair fans randomly throwing a name into the hat because they like a particular character. It's easy to build a concensus among fans that they want a manager sacked. The reality is that concensus is pretty fractured .... as most fans are actually saying they want the manager replaced by their own choice. Bad fit rushed appointments, leading to another sacking when it doesn't work, are the norm  in modern football. Average tenure averages around 1 year and has been as low as 0.86 years in the last decade. In real businesses this wouldn't happen because people buying chocolate bars aren't crying out for the man at the helm to get the sack if they decide they don't like the new packaging. My view is owners fail because they end up running a business the way that football people and fans see as normal, the soap opera of revolving characters as ratings are continually chased 

6 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

What did he say?

What did he say wrong? Nothing, just tried to explain what went on with him in last 18 months. Never slagged Askey off, in fact said what a nice guy he was, I have now got a different view of askey, and it is worse not better. All this is assuming what Tom said was true, I have no reason to think it was not.

2 minutes ago, Properman said:

What did he say wrong? Nothing, just tried to explain what went on with him in last 18 months. Never slagged Askey off, in fact said what a nice guy he was, I have now got a different view of askey, and it is worse not better. All this is assuming what Tom said was true, I have no reason to think it was not.

Can you elaborate please, was this on Radio Stoke ?

The interview from Carol was still better than a Smurfwaite era one which would usually include threats and criticisms by the dozen. 

I do agree there is a certain degree of “fan” style nievity to much of her commitment to the existing staff, but she got rid of Askey at the right time in my view. 

I had thought the time she gave Askey would mean it had been used to identify a good candidate, instead she is using it to give Pugh more time. 

I hate to say it, it isn’t much of a gamble. We won’t get relegated and keeping him is cheap albeit a risk of league 2 mediocrity for longer. 

If it fails, we can just get the the better option in the summer...

Among the things he said that he shouldn’t have done were that Askey lied to him about the captaincy and he would have scored more goals last year if the manager had used him properly. He may have said Askey was a nice bloke but he still put the boot in. 

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

So sidewipe at Askey, slagged off Richie Bennett and then jumps on Mental Health bandwagon which is an insult to people who genuinely suffer.

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

So sidewipe at Askey, slagged off Richie Bennett and then jumps on Mental Health bandwagon which is an insult to people who genuinely suffer.

No it was not, I take it you listened to the interview?  If you did he was saying the strikers could all say the same. Not a swipe at all at Bennett. How do you know clever ..... he was not suffering.

Archived