onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Carol on P ‘n’ G tonight

Guitar Ray

Advert

Players have always held the power and it goes on in all clubs all over the world, even Sunday morning Potteries and District, what happened at Stoke with Nathan Jones ? were they busting a gut, although Blakeman wouldnt bring that up would he ? to think it doesnt go on is naive. 
That's my point. Although I dont really care at other clubs and certainly not at Stoke.

Players have always held the power and it goes on in all clubs all over the world, even Sunday morning Potteries and District, what happened at Stoke with Nathan Jones ? were they busting a gut, although Blakeman wouldnt bring that up would he ? to think it doesnt go on is naive. 
That's my point. Although I dont really care at other clubs and certainly not at Stoke.

9 minutes ago, PortVale4Life said:

Nobody is asking for that clearly. But asking for a manager who has experience isn’t too much to ask!!!

Experience, of what, in what way? Perhaps one that's played in the Premier League, Champions League and is suitably qualified (in terms of coaching badges)?  Or do you mean experienced as in has managed and failed at this level before? 

bless, you think that you've upset me. I'm not upset, just pointing out that I think that you are wrong. We all love the Vale on here. I think that there may well be reasons why the players may not have been performing other than them being 'snakes' who downed tools to get the manager sacked. Not excusing them and they need to demonstrate quickly that they do care about results.
It seemed like you were upset by the use of the word Snakes when describing the players. I'm glad you arent.

10 minutes ago, PortVale4Life said:

He did start well actually. Infact most fans loved him. 

Indeed. He even served me Bovril in the Lorne Street at half time during our game v Blackpool in league 1. 

It all turned sour after his Sky Sports “racism comments” and then downhill with Bruno from there. 

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Smurf didn't start out well, he just rode the wave created by V2001 and screwed things up, especially after Wildes left. 

He started out excellently when Wildes controlled communications. Wildes was the most galvanising and PR-savvy figure the club has had this century. He nailed the Burton and Northampton games with consistent, positive, and blanket marketing so that no one in Stoke-on-Trent could ignore it. He spoke well, but also sounded like a regular bloke. Norman spent money where was necessary on the likes of Hughes and Purse, and was largely seen as a cartoonish but likeable 'sidekick' to Wildes' flair.

Problem clearly was Wildes got a bit excited (I remember him pledging a new training hub before an away game with Torquay) and things soured between him and Norman. When Wildes departed, Norman needed a communications CEO to take the flak and act as a buffer between himself and the fans. He dithered, didn't appoint one, tried to run a one-man show without the requisite skills, and then as strong as Garlick is administratively, he wasn't suited to the bells and whistles PR role.

By himself, Norman didn't have the communciation skills to explain his decisions, the understanding of how to run a business (and not a property portfolio), and lacked a partner to dissuade his impulsive ideas (as well as some other character traits I'm not going to mention here). Bad decisions snowballed and, being unable to take criticism, he built a wall, became more erratic in a desperate ploy to make things like they were in 2013, before losing the plot and going on a destructive rampage out of pure spite, before money stopped him folding the entire affair (which was much, much closer than most fans will ever realise, it being unclear whether Norm was ever going to turn up to sign away the club on deadline day).

I have no idea what wave V2001 created - bar appointing Micky, which whilst a good move was hardly anything particularly inspiring or innovative. The atmosphere at the back end of their regime, with MOLD, nil-paid gate, and the EGM, was more fractious than it ever was under Smurthwaite. The club was more settled with Keith Ryder doing a runner than it ever was with Bratt.

I genuinely, in a slighly masochistic manner, find the manner in which this club has lurched from crisis to crisis since 2000 fascinating. It's a really interesting case study on football governance and the impact fans have have on a club's trajectory. Someone brighter than me will write a book about it one day.

6 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

The wave which V2001 created included signing Micky Adams as manager and most of the players with which we achieved promotion. But that was probably entirely accidental...

Their fantastic leadership also saw the club looked at by Police and SOCA in respect to nil paid share gate.

David Ames, of Harlequin Properties, "the best sponsors we've ever had", is awaiting trial for 3 counts of fraud, delayed because of Coronavirus.

Your V2001 love in is anti-Vale. 

14 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

The wave which V2001 created included signing Micky Adams as manager and most of the players with which we achieved promotion. But that was probably entirely accidental...

But they had got us relegated in the first place! 

What I find quite ironic about some of the posts on here is that a couple of weeks ago we had a thread  which went on for 6 pages saying "Time for the club to make a statement".  Now Carol has given an interview we have folk saying "she shouldn't have said that"!!

4 hours ago, SFBT said:

I, too, saw the bit about players apologising.
I put myself in their shoes, and also in Carol's and why she shared it.
My manager gets the sack. I/we haven't been doing well on the pitch.
I hold my hands up, accept my part in it, and commit to doing better.
As chair, hearing this shows humility, acceptance of responsibility and a re commitment to the cause.
The players I might be more concerned about are those who say nothing, don't come forward, don't accept responsibility.
I would put money on the players apologising were Legge, Joyce, Brown, Monty, Wozza.
Real, rounded, conscientious people.

100% this.. I actually liked that some of the players took some responsibility. They didn't need to, they could have just squirmed away from the issue.

Archived