onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Carol on P ‘n’ G tonight

Guitar Ray

40 minutes ago, Doha said:

I think she was trying to spin the ramifications of the £1m loss with the ' new manager dressing room disruption' reason. 

That makes more sense, cheers. I still don't entirely buy it - what's the harm and vetting and interviewing the outstanding candidates, and maybe one or two wildcards? Maybe it's just been a manic week and she hasn't gotten around to it, but didn't fancy saying it on the radio under a bit of pressure.

Pugh can hold it down for a couple of weeks - and if he strings together the wins, then sure, go for it Danny, you've got till May.

I have massive trust in Carol and her business acumen, and maybe it was just radio talk - but I just kept getting the feeling that it's Pugh's job to lose, rather than to anyone's job to win (I immediately put some cash on Pugh when listening). 

The players have been dropped in it though (and rightly so) - this phonecall will come back to haunt them if they continue to make a meal out of this season.

Advert

Doesnt feel great that the players have essentially admitted that they stopped doing their jobs which directly resulted in the manager being sacked and our fall down the league...and they are being rewarded with getting the man they want.

I suppose that's football.

To be fair, I don’t think Carol could do anything other than be supportive of Pugh. Folk on here have complained for weeks about players not playing for the manager so if she’d given a hint that he was just a stop gap until someone better came along how would that play out?  Let’s see what happens rather than jumping on every word and interpreting it in whatever way fits our agenda. 

4 hours ago, Walter said:

I'm glad she has said it. Shows what we have got as players.

Big babies that down tools as soon as they dont like something.

They couldn't give a f*ck about Carol, the club, the fans or anything Port Vale.

Looking at the shitstorm it's created, I wish she hadn't.

Furthermore, I hope those involved had the bottle to ring Askey and Kevan to apologise for costing them their jobs.

What word can we use for them not putting in a shift for the fans and manager for some time then? Unprofessional?
Did Carol confirm some players have apologised to her for their recent performances under John Askey?

That says it all, although, she was never and will never come out to say that they were purposefully under performing, it was very clear to see they were... few teams go from where we were during the tranmere game to where we ended up, without something going on.

I’m just glad that’s behind us and the players know who there are, Carol will know who they are and we’ll see at the end of the season what happens.

Onwards and upwards to salvaging something out of the rest of the season.

Welcome Jake once again, cracking signing

There's nothing wrong with the players apologising to Carol. Her exact words (according to The Sentinel) were “The response I have had from players…I had players phoning me this week. I did have players phoning and apologising for not giving their all. They didn’t realise they weren’t but in retrospect they probably weren’t."
That doesn't mean they consciously weren't trying but merely that after the sht hit the fan, they realised that they could have applied themselves more, something we all knew anyway. Not ideal but happens in most workplaces. I don't always work my hardest and if things went <ovf censored> up at work then I'd apologise to my manager. Doesn't make me a vile snake or whatever the hysterical pearl-clutchers on here are saying.

8 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

To be fair, I don’t think Carol could do anything other than be supportive of Pugh. Folk on here have complained for weeks about players not playing for the manager so if she’d given a hint that he was just a stop gap until someone better came along how would that play out?  Let’s see what happens rather than jumping on every word and interpreting it in whatever way fits our agenda. 

Carol was quite clear, in my view. I haven't got an agenda. I don't have any massive issues with Pugh, and have offered comments in support of him on the manager thread where he's getting stick. The players shouldn't need Carol saying nice things about him in order to do their jobs.

I'm not asking he is labelled a stop gap, but Carol said she wanted to focus on this season and that a permanent appoint would "distract from that". It should have been 'Danny is in charge for now and will go through the same process as all other 40 credible candidates', which is nowhere near to what she said. 

I have no issue with her being supportive of Pugh but it's very difficult to listen to that interview and not come away thinking this is now Pugh's job to lose. Pugh isn't a stopgap at all, but also shouldn't be at an advantage over the other applicants on the basis that he's lucky enough to be caretaker.

As I've said, it feels this is more a trial run, and not a caretaker job. That's up to Carol, and she is correct in that this is a unique season. I'm merely trying to understand what was, at times, a bit of a cagey interview.

I guess we'll see who the permanent appointment is.

5 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

There's nothing wrong with the players apologising to Carol. Her exact words (according to The Sentinel) were “The response I have had from players…I had players phoning me this week. I did have players phoning and apologising for not giving their all. They didn’t realise they weren’t but in retrospect they probably weren’t."
That doesn't mean they consciously weren't trying but merely that after the sht hit the fan, they realised that they could have applied themselves more, something we all knew anyway. Not ideal but happens in most workplaces. I don't always work my hardest and if things went <ovf censored> up at work then I'd apologise to my manager. Doesn't make me a vile snake or whatever the hysterical pearl-clutchers on here are saying.

I do think some of the reaction has been very melodramatic regarding this phone call.

Fans seem to be trying to absolve Askey of any agency and lay as much as possible on the players. Vile snakes and crybabies who don't care about the club, 'I hate this entire squad' etc etc. Mad.

I found the interview quite concerning.

It sounded like the decision to get rid of Askey was made pretty much on a whim with no thought to what would happen afterwards.
It divulged information which should have probably been kept in house.
Even the talk of a really experienced applicant having only been really successful in this league didn't sound great. When she is so busy, why does she even know about the applications from the chap from Burslem and the champ manager when her pa is screening them.

For the first time since taking over listening to Carol didn't instill me with any confidence.

At the same time she is a rookie owner learning her way in the game and this is her first experience of a situation like this. I hope the experience helps Carol to develop as an owner. For the first time whilst I have supported the Vale we have owners who I think that we can be proud of and that are a real asset to the community and football world.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Fans seem to be trying to absolve Askey of any agency and lay as much as possible on the players. Vile snakes and crybabies who don't care about the club, 'I hate this entire squad' etc etc. Mad.

Couple of weeks ago they couldn't wait to get rid of him, now it's apparently all the players conspiring to get him gone

Some of the commentd on this thread are genuinely disturbing. Carol has paid out millions over the odds to rescue the club from Smurthwaite, millions more to keep the club going through an unprecedented worldwide crisis, has allowed the club to sign players such as Jake Taylor and is looking at paying out much more to carry on until fans are finally allowed back in and things get back to normal. We have no idea if that will be 2 months or 2 years. 

I'd absolutely forgive her for not wanting to take on an expensive new manager at this precise second when the (much cheaper) incumbent can carry on until the end of the season.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, as long as results keep us clear of a relegation fight, give it to Pugh until the end of the season and then take stock of where we are. The prospect of a season with fans back and booming ticket sales is very different from the prospect of another season with no income.

People wanted honesty and transparency from the club. Now they've got it they're not happy.

Carol was a bit too honest in her interview and people read too much into candid moments. This is why football people speak in clichés and try to avoid giving too much away if straying from the narrative.

A few players saying they feel bad for the manager losing his job has now been twisted to them purposefully losing matches to get him sacked.

As Blakeman correctly deduced though is that the manager's job is Pugh's to lose. That's the main takeaway from the interview. Which isn't a bad idea from a money saving exercise during a pandemic. Just get by to the end of the season and then properly evaluate the situation then.

I do worry though that it will be a case of "Danny has done alright so let's now give him the job permanently". It shouldn't be like that. He should be doing better than alright to be the next permanent manager. Michael Brown got us relegated for Christ's sake and people were saying "he deserves a chance to build his own squad". Look where that got us. I don't want any of that with Pugh. No rewards for failure. 3-0 against Grimsby will do nicely but I think if we finish in the bottom half of the table then there's no way he should get the job permanently.

I found the interview quite concerning.

It sounded like the decision to get rid of Askey was made pretty much on a whim with no thought to what would happen afterwards.
It divulged information which should have probably been kept in house.
Even the talk of a really experienced applicant having only been really successful in this league didn't sound great. When she is so busy, why does she even know about the applications from the chap from Burslem and the champ manager when her pa is screening them.

For the first time since taking over listening to Carol didn't instill me with any confidence.

At the same time she is a rookie owner learning her way in the game and this is her first experience of a situation like this. I hope the experience helps Carol to develop as an owner. For the first time whilst I have supported the Vale we have owners who I think that we can be proud of and that are a real asset to the community and football world.
It is what PAs do, sort the post, email,calls. Then show Carol a few frivolous applications, and some high profile, for us, applications. Would take very little of Carol's time.

Archived