onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Carol on P ‘n’ G tonight

Guitar Ray

Advert

It also shows how stupid some players are. To ring the owner and say words to the effect of “I know that you’ve invested £millions, given me a job for a few years and despite the pandemic kept us afloat, well , too be honest, I’ve not really given a <ovf censored> recently but I will now”. I’d go off my tree. 

There's a few things that came out of it for me:

1) Blakeman actually did some journalism and pressed Carol quite hard with probing and relentless questioning. Refreshing.

2) Carol doesn't seem particularly motivated to even consider anyone from outside of the current coaching setup (mentioned slack within the academy which frees up the likes of Sinclair, Paynter and Griff). I'm not dead against this idea, but it was pretty surprising that she admitted to not looking at any of the applicants in detail.

3) Contradicting the above a little, Carol said something along the lines of 'some of the CVs have impressive references' - remind you of Bruno/Jose Mourinho?

The two above points lead me to one question. Why the hell is Carol having to get involved with this side of things in the first place? The last time I checked we had a CEO and a President (albeit I'd imagine at his age (rightly) that it's a non-hands on role). Are the guys in charge of the football side not in charge of the football side? Colin Garlick must have the easiest CEO job in the whole EFL. Nice bloke, like the rest of them, I suppose.

Askeys methods worked last season and start of this, good few injuries, and covic cases, may be the luck running out, confidence levels down, and a possible internal interference in Askeys methods turn some players heads, Carol is obviously listen to someone and lots of mixed messages have been thrown around l personally don't believe many of the players go on the pitch with the intention of having a bad game, but if they are not fully committed to the way Askeys management team sets them up, that in my mind is where the trouble lies.

9 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

It also shows how stupid some players are. To ring the owner and say words to the effect of “I know that you’ve invested £millions, given me a job for a few years and despite the pandemic kept us afloat, well , too be honest, I’ve not really given a <ovf censored> recently but I will now”. I’d go off my tree. 

Me too Cavalier. I do hope that these said players don't think that Carol is a 'soft touch' so to speak because they have actually been treated properly and with respect. I would probably of not mentioned that in the media but privately such admissions would form useful backround information when making contract rebewal decisions.

It's effectively admitting to under performing and not doing your job to the standard required.

I reckon if 4-5000 people had witnessed the home peformances from the Kings Lynn game onwards, they would not be apologising they would be running up their own arses. Embarrassing from them, perhaps a little naive from Carol, more to appease fans to an extent maybe?

She said a few things, no falling out but just a culmination of things going against us (felt like some games did in fairness in the 5 game losing run, then injuries after Bolton and Covid) and confidence and frustration and it just got to a point where it bottomed out.

Sounds like some are struggling with playing during Covid a bit, Pope I think alluded to this a couple of weeks back in his column. I had the choice to work from home and guess it goes cause worry, some younger players may live at home with parents who are vulnerable I don’t know. Did sound like Carol was slightly against playing at the minute and she isn’t the first to say that in the game.

Oddly most pre season favourites are really struggling, Bolton, Vale, Tranmere, Bradford and Mansfield so guess have to factor in the loss of crowds for these mainly bigger clubs as well.

I thought she spoke well.

40 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

There's a few things that came out of it for me:

1) Blakeman actually did some journalism and pressed Carol quite hard with probing and relentless questioning. Refreshing.

2) Carol doesn't seem particularly motivated to even consider anyone from outside of the current coaching setup (mentioned slack within the academy which frees up the likes of Sinclair, Paynter and Griff). I'm not dead against this idea, but it was pretty surprising that she admitted to not looking at any of the applicants in detail.

3) Contradicting the above a little, Carol said something along the lines of 'some of the CVs have impressive references' - remind you of Bruno/Jose Mourinho?

The two above points lead me to one question. Why the hell is Carol having to get involved with this side of things in the first place? The last time I checked we had a CEO and a President (albeit I'd imagine at his age (rightly) that it's a non-hands on role). Are the guys in charge of the football side not in charge of the football side? Colin Garlick must have the easiest CEO job in the whole EFL. Nice bloke, like the rest of them, I suppose.

Agree with all of this. I don't disagree with the concept of Pugh seeing us through till the end of the season, but I hope it's not a case of 'hope Danny wins a few games and then appoint him, if he ballses it, worry about that then'.  I'd hope, a week in, she'd have narrowed her main targets down.

I also didn't quite grasp why looking for a permanent appointment would somehow distract her from this season. Seemed like a bit of a weak cop-out to defend her obvious preference of giving it to Pugh. I couldn't quite understand her point - anyone wish to clear it up?

I'm getting the feeling that the club is approaching this from an angle of wanting it to be Pugh, instead of him winning out a in-depth and rigorous application process. If he's a good manager, then great, who cares, I guess. 

As I've said - some of her comments about Pugh and the 'phonecall' haven't gone down too well. I get that she wanted to be open and communicative, but whoever advised her to say all this 1 win after a fractious sacking has probably not done her any good here, especially considering the overall reticence of the club since November.

Agree with that JJ, and Joe.

I think she was trying to spin the ramifications of the £1m loss with the ' new manager dressing room disruption' reason. 

Which is not a bad thing. She paid a ridiculous amount to rescue it from numbnuts and she has indicated she will cough up even more to cover the pandemic losses. Fair play, her hands are tied. Zero criticism from me - but if we can stretch to managerial ambitions beyond Pugh, I would hope she secretly is giving deeper thought to an external experienced manager than the repeated 'I haven't even thought about it' comments in the interview. 

Archived