3 minutes ago, philmpv said:
24 minutes ago, Joe B said:
Very difficult. Will take a few years to get right. Worth getting the wheels in motion, though.

I agree. But I can't see any manager of ours ever being given enough time to see it through. And therein lies the fallacy of continually changing managers just because a few results, or a season, don't go as planned. Crewe had a plan, stuck by DA, and are now reaping the rewards

Coleman has been at Accrington since 1999, apart from 2 years. As with Crewe the whole club points in one direction. Dario took 6 years to get his first promotion. Both clubs have a DNA about how they play. That makes it easier for players to come through as the whole club plays the same way. Young players know what they should do in situations and what other players will do. We don't have that DNA and won't unless we give a manager a couple of years.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This signing is a prime example of how a club can benefit from respected owners. Players can now see that they will be looked after properly which was not the case under our previous owner. Not only h

OH NO....why have we signed him???? What a waste of money!!!! How many goals are we guaranteed he'll score? How much is he getting paid? Does he like Danny Pugh? Can't believe it......................

Great signing and a 3.5yr deal,they really rate the lad and imo what a show of intent from our owners....love my club i do

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, philmpv said:
33 minutes ago, Joe B said:
Very difficult. Will take a few years to get right. Worth getting the wheels in motion, though.

I agree. But I can't see any manager of ours ever being given enough time to see it through. And therein lies the fallacy of continually changing managers just because a few results, or a season, don't go as planned. Crewe had a plan, stuck by DA, and are now reaping the rewards

Genuine question because I don’t know: did DA ever go 12 games with only one win? 

3 hours ago, TylerB said:

Hopefully what he did last season for us wasn't just some sort of purple patch. I don't think he was particularly brilliant in his overall game (not to say he was bad at all either) but his goals certainly made a big difference.

We're still desperate for another centre-back.

Do you ever post anything positive about Vale?🤔🤔🤔

13 minutes ago, philmpv said:
34 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Artell has had the benefit of an extremely good cohort of players, basically any manager would have kept their job there, also another point, their supporters don't get wound up by decisions made, there is never any pressure put on the board or manager about anything and I mean anything, never a mention about Bennell or Ng who has just been suspended for 6 games for spitting, OVF would have imploded.

Also Crewe's plan costs an absolute fortune Vale supporters wouldn't wait years for it to come to fruition.

• Like 2

Advert:

31 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

Genuine question because I don’t know: did DA ever go 12 games with only one win? 

No idea but Rudge went 12 league games without a win in 87/88 and only won 5 of the first 20 in 86/87. 87/88 run we were particularly awful.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Artell has had the benefit of an extremely good cohort of players, basically any manager would have kept their job there, also another point, their supporters don't get wound up by decisions made, there is never any pressure put on the board or manager about anything and I mean anything, never a mention about Bennell or Ng who has just been suspended for 6 games for spitting, OVF would have imploded.

Also Crewe's plan costs an absolute fortune Vale supporters wouldn't wait years for it to come to fruition.

Well, OVF would have been right to implode over Bennell. It was a serious criminal case and Crewe's response to it has been poor, with many questions unanswered. NG received a lot of stick on Twitter, they just don't have a massively active forum, and a smaller fanbase, for these views to be shared/prominent.

Crewe will always put development of youngsters ahead of league position. Often, focusing on the former leads to an improvement in the latter, but as long as Artell gave this current crop their minutes and developed them, he was never in danger. This has taken decades of work, though, as you say.

I do agree that most successful clubs have some form of identity to tether to, which mitigates bad seasons and allows the bigger picture to be seen.

Currently, we haven't really got one.

42 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

Just had a look ... his worst run was 85/86 when he won 1 in 17! There were a lot of calls for his head that season.

43 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

In his first couple of seasons Artell had some terrible runs and the Crewe fans wanted him gone. 

• Like 1

Advert:

23 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I do agree that most successful clubs have some form of identity to tether to, which mitigates bad seasons and allows the bigger picture to be seen.

Currently, we haven't really got one.

It's a really interesting one. 

A good example are Swansea , now reaping rewards and playing fantastic football again after a difficult period. 

The only teams who seem to have identity in the main are the pretty teams , West Brom, Swansea, Crewe, West Ham spring to mind . I'm not including the big boys 

Opposingly you had horrible teams to play like the old Wimbledon, Stoke under Pulis, Stevenage , Warnock teams . 

Under Rudge we were renowned for good attacking football with flying wingers but as you say we don't particularly have any identity as such 

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Well, OVF would have been right to implode over Bennell. It was a serious criminal case and Crewe's response to it has been poor, with many questions unanswered. NG received a lot of stick on Twitter, they just don't have a massively active forum, and a smaller fanbase, for these views to be shared/prominent.

Crewe will always put development of youngsters ahead of league position. Often, focusing on the former leads to an improvement in the latter, but as long as Artell gave this current crop their minutes and developed them, he was never in danger. This has taken decades of work, though, as you say.

Post Rudge which club has generally finished each season in the higher position in the league? Which club has been in administration most often? 

The Bennell issue was dreadful but in terms of the football structure there model has been successful. 

I think this will be a very good signing - glad it's a good length contract, too! I know the stat going around that we actually performed better without him, than with...but so many things could have dictated this, including that the Vale with Taylor picked up sufficient confidence to not miss him so much? 

Whichever - hope the usual suspects give home a few games to settle in and get his form back, as I don't think his Scunthorpe experience will have been that great? 

Pleased to see him back, and special thanks to the owners for, not just re-signing the lad, but, also, for conducting the transfer quickly, competently and professionally! Well done!! 😄

• Like 1

I think this will be a very good signing - glad it's a good length contract, too! I know the stat going around that we actually performed better without him, than with...but so many things could have dictated this, including that the Vale with Taylor picked up sufficient confidence to not miss him so much? 
Whichever - hope the usual suspects give home a few games to settle in and get his form back, as I don't think his Scunthorpe experience will have been that great? 
Pleased to see him back, and special thanks to the owners for, not just re-signing the lad, but, also, for conducting the transfer quickly, competently and professionally! Well done!! 

Conlon came in and hit form possibly. This time we get to see them both together.

Do hope Taylor being back sees Burgess get back to his form too. He’s been a real disappointment this season for me. They played well together.
  • Like 1

Post Rudge which club has generally finished each season in the higher position in the league? Which club has been in administration most often? 
The Bennell issue was dreadful but in terms of the football structure there model has been successful. 

Crewe had their golden period just after Rudge in fairness with Hulse, Ashton etc.

We’ve tended to trade the upper hand since. There league one sides were terrible in the mid 10s for a start.

Much as a detest him though Artell has done well.
  • Like 1

Advert: