Jump to content

Taylor signs!!!


upthevale

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:
24 minutes ago, Joe B said:
Very difficult. Will take a few years to get right. Worth getting the wheels in motion, though.

I agree. But I can't see any manager of ours ever being given enough time to see it through. And therein lies the fallacy of continually changing managers just because a few results, or a season, don't go as planned. Crewe had a plan, stuck by DA, and are now reaping the rewards

Coleman has been at Accrington since 1999, apart from 2 years. As with Crewe the whole club points in one direction. Dario took 6 years to get his first promotion. Both clubs have a DNA about how they play. That makes it easier for players to come through as the whole club plays the same way. Young players know what they should do in situations and what other players will do. We don't have that DNA and won't unless we give a manager a couple of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, philmpv said:
33 minutes ago, Joe B said:
Very difficult. Will take a few years to get right. Worth getting the wheels in motion, though.

I agree. But I can't see any manager of ours ever being given enough time to see it through. And therein lies the fallacy of continually changing managers just because a few results, or a season, don't go as planned. Crewe had a plan, stuck by DA, and are now reaping the rewards

Genuine question because I don’t know: did DA ever go 12 games with only one win? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TylerB said:

 

Hopefully what he did last season for us wasn't just some sort of purple patch. I don't think he was particularly brilliant in his overall game (not to say he was bad at all either) but his goals certainly made a big difference.

We're still desperate for another centre-back.

Do you ever post anything positive about Vale?🤔🤔🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, philmpv said:
34 minutes ago, Joe B said:
Very difficult. Will take a few years to get right. Worth getting the wheels in motion, though.

I agree. But I can't see any manager of ours ever being given enough time to see it through. And therein lies the fallacy of continually changing managers just because a few results, or a season, don't go as planned. Crewe had a plan, stuck by DA, and are now reaping the rewards

Artell has had the benefit of an extremely good cohort of players, basically any manager would have kept their job there, also another point, their supporters don't get wound up by decisions made, there is never any pressure put on the board or manager about anything and I mean anything, never a mention about Bennell or Ng who has just been suspended for 6 games for spitting, OVF would have imploded.

Also Crewe's plan costs an absolute fortune Vale supporters wouldn't wait years for it to come to fruition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

Genuine question because I don’t know: did DA ever go 12 games with only one win? 

No idea but Rudge went 12 league games without a win in 87/88 and only won 5 of the first 20 in 86/87. 87/88 run we were particularly awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Artell has had the benefit of an extremely good cohort of players, basically any manager would have kept their job there, also another point, their supporters don't get wound up by decisions made, there is never any pressure put on the board or manager about anything and I mean anything, never a mention about Bennell or Ng who has just been suspended for 6 games for spitting, OVF would have imploded.

Also Crewe's plan costs an absolute fortune Vale supporters wouldn't wait years for it to come to fruition.

Well, OVF would have been right to implode over Bennell. It was a serious criminal case and Crewe's response to it has been poor, with many questions unanswered. NG received a lot of stick on Twitter, they just don't have a massively active forum, and a smaller fanbase, for these views to be shared/prominent.

Crewe will always put development of youngsters ahead of league position. Often, focusing on the former leads to an improvement in the latter, but as long as Artell gave this current crop their minutes and developed them, he was never in danger. This has taken decades of work, though, as you say.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

Genuine question because I don’t know: did DA ever go 12 games with only one win? 

Just had a look ... his worst run was 85/86 when he won 1 in 17! There were a lot of calls for his head that season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

Genuine question because I don’t know: did DA ever go 12 games with only one win? 

In his first couple of seasons Artell had some terrible runs and the Crewe fans wanted him gone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I do agree that most successful clubs have some form of identity to tether to, which mitigates bad seasons and allows the bigger picture to be seen.

Currently, we haven't really got one.

It's a really interesting one. 

A good example are Swansea , now reaping rewards and playing fantastic football again after a difficult period. 

The only teams who seem to have identity in the main are the pretty teams , West Brom, Swansea, Crewe, West Ham spring to mind . I'm not including the big boys 

Opposingly you had horrible teams to play like the old Wimbledon, Stoke under Pulis, Stevenage , Warnock teams . 

Under Rudge we were renowned for good attacking football with flying wingers but as you say we don't particularly have any identity as such 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Well, OVF would have been right to implode over Bennell. It was a serious criminal case and Crewe's response to it has been poor, with many questions unanswered. NG received a lot of stick on Twitter, they just don't have a massively active forum, and a smaller fanbase, for these views to be shared/prominent.

Crewe will always put development of youngsters ahead of league position. Often, focusing on the former leads to an improvement in the latter, but as long as Artell gave this current crop their minutes and developed them, he was never in danger. This has taken decades of work, though, as you say.

 

Post Rudge which club has generally finished each season in the higher position in the league? Which club has been in administration most often? 

The Bennell issue was dreadful but in terms of the football structure there model has been successful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this will be a very good signing - glad it's a good length contract, too! I know the stat going around that we actually performed better without him, than with...but so many things could have dictated this, including that the Vale with Taylor picked up sufficient confidence to not miss him so much? 

Whichever - hope the usual suspects give home a few games to settle in and get his form back, as I don't think his Scunthorpe experience will have been that great? 

Pleased to see him back, and special thanks to the owners for, not just re-signing the lad, but, also, for conducting the transfer quickly, competently and professionally! Well done!! 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this will be a very good signing - glad it's a good length contract, too! I know the stat going around that we actually performed better without him, than with...but so many things could have dictated this, including that the Vale with Taylor picked up sufficient confidence to not miss him so much? 
Whichever - hope the usual suspects give home a few games to settle in and get his form back, as I don't think his Scunthorpe experience will have been that great? 
Pleased to see him back, and special thanks to the owners for, not just re-signing the lad, but, also, for conducting the transfer quickly, competently and professionally! Well done!! 

Conlon came in and hit form possibly. This time we get to see them both together.

Do hope Taylor being back sees Burgess get back to his form too. He’s been a real disappointment this season for me. They played well together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Post Rudge which club has generally finished each season in the higher position in the league? Which club has been in administration most often? 
The Bennell issue was dreadful but in terms of the football structure there model has been successful. 

Crewe had their golden period just after Rudge in fairness with Hulse, Ashton etc.

We’ve tended to trade the upper hand since. There league one sides were terrible in the mid 10s for a start.

Much as a detest him though Artell has done well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...