onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Taylor signs!!!

upthevale

26 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Artell has had the benefit of an extremely good cohort of players, basically any manager would have kept their job there, also another point, their supporters don't get wound up by decisions made, there is never any pressure put on the board or manager about anything and I mean anything, never a mention about Bennell or Ng who has just been suspended for 6 games for spitting, OVF would have imploded.

Also Crewe's plan costs an absolute fortune Vale supporters wouldn't wait years for it to come to fruition.

Well, OVF would have been right to implode over Bennell. It was a serious criminal case and Crewe's response to it has been poor, with many questions unanswered. NG received a lot of stick on Twitter, they just don't have a massively active forum, and a smaller fanbase, for these views to be shared/prominent.

Crewe will always put development of youngsters ahead of league position. Often, focusing on the former leads to an improvement in the latter, but as long as Artell gave this current crop their minutes and developed them, he was never in danger. This has taken decades of work, though, as you say.

Advert

42 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

Genuine question because I don’t know: did DA ever go 12 games with only one win? 

Just had a look ... his worst run was 85/86 when he won 1 in 17! There were a lot of calls for his head that season.

23 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I do agree that most successful clubs have some form of identity to tether to, which mitigates bad seasons and allows the bigger picture to be seen.

Currently, we haven't really got one.

It's a really interesting one. 

A good example are Swansea , now reaping rewards and playing fantastic football again after a difficult period. 

The only teams who seem to have identity in the main are the pretty teams , West Brom, Swansea, Crewe, West Ham spring to mind . I'm not including the big boys 

Opposingly you had horrible teams to play like the old Wimbledon, Stoke under Pulis, Stevenage , Warnock teams . 

Under Rudge we were renowned for good attacking football with flying wingers but as you say we don't particularly have any identity as such 

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Well, OVF would have been right to implode over Bennell. It was a serious criminal case and Crewe's response to it has been poor, with many questions unanswered. NG received a lot of stick on Twitter, they just don't have a massively active forum, and a smaller fanbase, for these views to be shared/prominent.

Crewe will always put development of youngsters ahead of league position. Often, focusing on the former leads to an improvement in the latter, but as long as Artell gave this current crop their minutes and developed them, he was never in danger. This has taken decades of work, though, as you say.

Post Rudge which club has generally finished each season in the higher position in the league? Which club has been in administration most often? 

The Bennell issue was dreadful but in terms of the football structure there model has been successful. 

I think this will be a very good signing - glad it's a good length contract, too! I know the stat going around that we actually performed better without him, than with...but so many things could have dictated this, including that the Vale with Taylor picked up sufficient confidence to not miss him so much? 

Whichever - hope the usual suspects give home a few games to settle in and get his form back, as I don't think his Scunthorpe experience will have been that great? 

Pleased to see him back, and special thanks to the owners for, not just re-signing the lad, but, also, for conducting the transfer quickly, competently and professionally! Well done!! 😄

I think this will be a very good signing - glad it's a good length contract, too! I know the stat going around that we actually performed better without him, than with...but so many things could have dictated this, including that the Vale with Taylor picked up sufficient confidence to not miss him so much? 
Whichever - hope the usual suspects give home a few games to settle in and get his form back, as I don't think his Scunthorpe experience will have been that great? 
Pleased to see him back, and special thanks to the owners for, not just re-signing the lad, but, also, for conducting the transfer quickly, competently and professionally! Well done!! 

Conlon came in and hit form possibly. This time we get to see them both together.

Do hope Taylor being back sees Burgess get back to his form too. He’s been a real disappointment this season for me. They played well together.

Post Rudge which club has generally finished each season in the higher position in the league? Which club has been in administration most often? 
The Bennell issue was dreadful but in terms of the football structure there model has been successful. 

Crewe had their golden period just after Rudge in fairness with Hulse, Ashton etc.

We’ve tended to trade the upper hand since. There league one sides were terrible in the mid 10s for a start.

Much as a detest him though Artell has done well.

I’m reluctant to say anything about Taylor, I thought we’d done some decent business in the Summer and look how that turned out! 

Of course it’s potential a good signing, although I worry he’s being portrayed on here as some sort of new Messi who will single-handedly turn us into world beaters, when in fact he’s struggled for game time at Scunthorpe.

And I do also have a bit of a problem signing players when we don’t have a manager, as that never seems to work out well. If Saturday was anything to go by playing through midfield definitely isn’t Pugh’s style.

And where does it leave McKirdy??? He must have really p!ssed some folk off, unless he’s already secured a move elsewhere.

But I would absolutely love to eat Humble Pie and Jake if you could repeat that day at Crewe that would be champion.

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

Crewe had their golden period just after Rudge in fairness with Hulse, Ashton etc.

We’ve tended to trade the upper hand since. There league one sides were terrible in the mid 10s for a start.

Much as a detest him though Artell has done well.

They had a great crop of players come through together at that time.  Their fortunes have been inextricably linked to the development of their graduates, as they come through into the first team, and then when those players are sold.

3 hours ago, valefan16 said:

Conlon came in and hit form possibly. This time we get to see them both together.

Do hope Taylor being back sees Burgess get back to his form too. He’s been a real disappointment this season for me. They played well together.

Yes - several factors could have contributed to that stat. But, the possibility of being able to choose from Taylor, Burgess and Conlon could be so important, for starting games or for changing things around! Like many of us, I'd hope to see more signings like this - eager and young who, mostly, are cheaper to buy than the 28 - 33 yr old journeyman. 

Archived