onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Taylor signs!!!

upthevale

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Accrington are 5th in League 1 and had a midfield the other night which had 3 players 24 and under who had, in the last couple of years, been released by a big club.

Good coach, some consistent minutes, and look what happens. We could do the same. 

I agree, i'm not disputing it just saying it's very difficult.

Advert

Like the lad welcome back Jake Taylor hope you develop into a diamond for the Vale .

As for the owners that's terrific stuff signing the lad on a 3 and half year deal ,a good few days for the Vale fans his goalv Leyton Orient away and the strike at home v Swindon a beautiful strike as I was at that game and they went on be promoted tells you all you need know about how talented this lad is .

Looking forwards to seeing the lad in action on ifollow very soon UTV 

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think it's harsh to judge players on EFL Trophy games, as they're inexperienced and surrounded by inexperience, usually against 11 far more experienced footballers, in a game no one really wants to be playing in. I think young players with superb technique/physical attributes are being produced at a better rate than ever, but simply aren't afforded the path to proper competitive action. 

Players get better with consistent minutes at competitive level, surrounded by experienced players and good coaches. Look at Romaine Sawyers - never played for the Vale but dropped down, got minutes, and is now in the Premier League, for example. 

I don't advocate we be daft but U21s don't count towards the registration, and with a good scouting system and a bit of patience when they inevitably make mistakes, two-three signings of this nature per season gives you a decent chance one of them is decent and can contribute. I'd prefer to have young squad players with potential than some of the late 20s squad players we've got now. My issue is that since the days of Cummins, Bridge-Wilkinson, Goodlad, Pilkington, McPhee, we've rarely gone for this sort of signing. Pleased we're doing it now. 

PL clubs rarely release good players who will count as under 21s in the following season. The main point, though, is from my understanding of the rules only McPhee would count as an under 21 when signed with the current squad rules. Goodlad was 20 when signed but 21 in the September, so I think he would be classed as 21. The other 3 were 21 or 22 when we signed them. With under 23 teams now at bigger clubs how many of those 5 would have been released at that age if they were playing now?

Taylor on last seasons performances is a good signing. But the point remains a manager has to be very cautious about bringing 2 or 3 players with little mens football into a 20 man squad; which will be the case next season. Stoke spend a fortune on their youth set up yet 7 or 8 never get heard of again after a brief mention in The Sentinel when they get released.

Every signing is a risk but Jake has done well for us in the past so hopefully the odds are more in our favor.

He is potentially a superb signing, I've not seen an attacking midfield player as good as him at Vale for many a year, he's the sort of player who gets you on the edge of your seat when he gets the ball. 

Well done to the Shanahans for making this happen, no doubt they played a role in making this happen outside of the money as has been said above.

A quality center back next plz if possible.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Taylor is evidence for me that there are a plethora of talent at Category 1 academies who just need minutes and some trust in professional football. We got a bit lucky stumbling across him originally (Sproson link, trained with us, didn't start consistently immediately), so we need to make this a standard signing.

Get a Chief Scout like George Foster and send his men out to the PL2 games every week. Have a list of players whose contract is up in the summer in each position. Highlight the good ones. Give 2 a contract on buttons. Hope one pays off. Profit. Repeart.

Surely that's the plan of many however be mindful of salary expectations. What many earn as apprentices or whatever far outweighs our top earners. Timing is a real key.

Very difficult. Will take a few years to get right. Worth getting the wheels in motion, though.
I agree. But I can't see any manager of ours ever being given enough time to see it through. And therein lies the fallacy of continually changing managers just because a few results, or a season, don't go as planned. Crewe had a plan, stuck by DA, and are now reaping the rewards

58 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Wouldn't it be ironic if the only manager who could get the best out of JT was JA?

Pugh was a witness to how it was done,  Taylor is aware that Askey is no longer there, so not critical to his signing. There  are no guarantees in football though.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

This signing is a prime example of how a club can benefit from respected owners. Players can now see that they will be looked after properly which was not the case under our previous owner. Not only have the Shanahans saved the club, they have restored its reputation in the football world. 

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:
24 minutes ago, Joe B said:
Very difficult. Will take a few years to get right. Worth getting the wheels in motion, though.

I agree. But I can't see any manager of ours ever being given enough time to see it through. And therein lies the fallacy of continually changing managers just because a few results, or a season, don't go as planned. Crewe had a plan, stuck by DA, and are now reaping the rewards

Coleman has been at Accrington since 1999, apart from 2 years. As with Crewe the whole club points in one direction. Dario took 6 years to get his first promotion. Both clubs have a DNA about how they play. That makes it easier for players to come through as the whole club plays the same way. Young players know what they should do in situations and what other players will do. We don't have that DNA and won't unless we give a manager a couple of years.

11 minutes ago, philmpv said:
33 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Genuine question because I don’t know: did DA ever go 12 games with only one win? 

3 hours ago, TylerB said:

Hopefully what he did last season for us wasn't just some sort of purple patch. I don't think he was particularly brilliant in his overall game (not to say he was bad at all either) but his goals certainly made a big difference.

We're still desperate for another centre-back.

Do you ever post anything positive about Vale?🤔🤔🤔

13 minutes ago, philmpv said:
34 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Artell has had the benefit of an extremely good cohort of players, basically any manager would have kept their job there, also another point, their supporters don't get wound up by decisions made, there is never any pressure put on the board or manager about anything and I mean anything, never a mention about Bennell or Ng who has just been suspended for 6 games for spitting, OVF would have imploded.

Also Crewe's plan costs an absolute fortune Vale supporters wouldn't wait years for it to come to fruition.

31 minutes ago, grand prix pants said:

Genuine question because I don’t know: did DA ever go 12 games with only one win? 

No idea but Rudge went 12 league games without a win in 87/88 and only won 5 of the first 20 in 86/87. 87/88 run we were particularly awful.

Archived