onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale pull out of staffs senior cup final.

melv

Advert

Guest Tony Dyche

Probably down to the fact that our pitch is not holding up well and we may need it for a play off game.

Stoke cancelled everything in sight a few years ago for similar reasons. By the way, I don't think they charge anything to Staffs FA for it either, if they do it's peanuts.

The left wing on the Bycars End of the pitch is like the fairway on a links golf course at the moment. Whenever anyone kicks the ball a huge great load of sand flies up in the air.

Its not the best pitch i agree but compared to some its holding out well. I think back to when it was a field of mud so given the resources we have i think the groundsman has done well.

Can anyone remember the plastic pitch at Preston when we scored 5 and they had a fat Barry Sidall in goal? Their new manager (i forget his name) liked to play the long ball game which on plastic meant the ball would bounce once and fly off the pitch at 90mph, so he thought that placing sand on the touch lines in each penalty box would hold the ball up enough for his forwards to catch it. That sligh old fox Rudgie noticed this and complained to the ref! Us Vale fans stood and witnessed their groundstaff shovelling and brushing tons of sand off the pitch just minutes before kick off!!!

All in all compared to the 90's our pitch aint that bad.:yes:

That was John Beck. He always used to like to grow the grass long in the corners at Cambridge, when he took over at Preston the astroturf presented him with a unique problem. Full marks to him for thinking outside the box though.

I remember that day very well, getting inside the ground and wondering why the ground staff were sweeping the pitch, Nicky Cross scoring after 30 seconds from a Barry Siddall mix up, conceding an equalizer after 2 minutes then running out easy 5-2 winners, Swanny giving away a stupid penalty at the end by just shoving someone to the ground, it was as if he was bored and wanted to make things interesting.

That was John Beck. He always used to like to grow the grass long in the corners at Cambridge, when he took over at Preston the astroturf presented him with a unique problem. Full marks to him for thinking outside the box though.

I remember that day very well, getting inside the ground and wondering why the ground staff were sweeping the pitch, Nicky Cross scoring after 30 seconds from a Barry Siddall mix up, conceding an equalizer after 2 minutes then running out easy 5-2 winners, Swanny giving away a stupid penalty at the end by just shoving someone to the ground, it was as if he was bored and wanted to make things interesting.

That was the guy, good call with the details as well........ happy days!

Needs a really heavy watering and a good rolling (with a steamroller!) to flatten out all the bumps. Far too 'bobbly' at the moment...players can't receive the ball with any confidence and can't run with it either.

its these bobbles and bumps which scare me 2 death everytime we knock the ball back 2 tommo(and we seem 2 do it quite alot!!) ala the martin incident..

Archived