Match Thread: FLT R3 Sunderland v Port Vale

A visit to the largest ground left in the competition, with prize money, last 8, and a step closer to Wembley at stake. But of immediate importance is to consolidate our new playing formation and restore our previous confidence, resting or giving game time as necessary.  Step 2 of Pugh`s in-house job assessment. Sunderland`s interest appearing at an empty Wembley may not be as keen as in the past, especially after their Covid postponements and picking up the pace since. Do we have a chance weather permitting?  18.00 KO clash with tea-time?

Advert:

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just checked and it's a 6pm kick off this one. So don't get caught out.

Lightweight.

Seriously does anyone truly believe that Pugh will play that same 11 away from home again in the league? Not a chance on this earth will he. Seems like some are just using that side as an excuse

Posted Images

I would hope that our formation would be dependant on the team we were playing and the players we have available. It would be a shame to accuse Askey of being inflexible for wanting 4-3-3 but then want 4-4-2 ad infinitum instead.

• Like 3

I think we’ve seen already that Pugh/Sinclair are willing to make tactical/formation changes already.Like in the second half yesterday. One consideration I feel though is that the players need to know their own role and what is expected of them on the pitch. Too many changes may, for some, players, be confusing. Therefore, I feel that we should try to settle on a ‘style’ but change things (like yesterday) when/if necessary.

20 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I would hope that our formation would be dependant on the team we were playing and the players we have available. It would be a shame to accuse Askey of being inflexible for wanting 4-3-3 but then want 4-4-2 ad infinitum instead.

As I would hope that our formation is a flexible one that varies to suit the opposition or state of the game not like our previous one. Something Pugh and Sinclair with their higher level playing experience will be more familiar with,  but have we the players that can adapt during a game? Only time will tell  when we reach the POs

• Like 1

Hard to say what we will do here. Sunderland have generally gone very strong XI in the previous rounds so will be a tough game, they’ve had a lot of games off recently so imagine they may want game time.

I wouldn’t risk any of the returning injured players such as Worrall or Monty here.

Tempted to go Theo Robinson up front maybe with Cullen if he goes with 2 up front.

Legge I guess will start as he’s banned for the league games so keep him match ready, Legge and Smith at centre half.

Fitz if fit for Monty, if Gibbo is fit may be worth getting an hour into him for this otherwise will have to be Mills.

Wingers Hurst and Amoo possibly and Conlon, Whitehead and Burgess if a 3 man midfield I guess unless Manny is fit enough to get minutes into him.

Visser in goal.

No pressure here we are expected to lose but a good workout to work on things we want to implement. If we can get a draw and pens and get through I’d be happy with that.

• Like 1

Advert:

"Wingers Hurst and Amoo possibly and Conlon, Whitehead and Burgess if a 3 man midfield I guess unless Manny is fit enough to get minutes into him."   (valefan16)

....Jeez, Manny....yea, I'd forgotten all about him !! I presume he's still around then... talk about not getting our money's worth out of him.

I think Pugh will play a strong team for this one. I’m sure all the players will want to be involved at Sunderland away in a knockout competition. 

I think he might go something like the below, depending on how Worrall and Rodney are after picking up niggles. 

Visser

Mills  Smith  Legge Monty 

Amoo  Burgess Conlon  Hurst

Pope  Robinson

It is a free hit, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t go for it. 

• Like 1

9/2 to win,decent odds in this competition

Maybe experiment in this one with a 3-5-2 or Rudgies 4-5-1 away from home

I wonder if he will give Campbell-Gordon a game and if Taylor signs can he play

Advert:

I agree with other posters here. Obviously it would be nice to win for the money, and to keep up momentum and confidence. But I’d keep Worrall and Monty well away, don’t want them injured again. Wasn’t it one of these stupid cup games that took Worrall out for the injury he’s just recovered from?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, valiant steve said:

So I take it from the above posts that Legge's suspension does not count in this competition? 

Correct.  Had it been a straight red it would have done.

• Thanks 1

I’d rest a few:

Visser

Mills Brisley Smith Monty

Amoo Burgess Conlon Hurst

Robinson Cullen

Subs: Brown, Gibbons/Campbell-Gordon, Joyce, Oyeleke, Whitehead, Worrall, Rodney.

Some of the above dependant on fitness obviously:)

Edited by theresonlyonemcphee

These are the games you want to play in at a fantastic stadium like stadium of light so whoever's chosen it should be a honour to play for the Vale on that stage .

Team well you go strong if you could do with going further in the competition but on the other hand you do not want pick up unnecessary injuries so it's a tough one call as we ain't going win the league or possibly going reach top seven realistically if we are all honest so should we not be trying our damnest win this competition. 

So go for it 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

These are the games you want to play in at a fantastic stadium like stadium of light so whoever's chosen it should be a honour to play for the Vale on that stage .

Team well you go strong if you could do with going further in the competition but on the other hand you do not want pick up unnecessary injuries so it's a tough one call as we ain't going win the league or possibly going reach top seven realistically if we are all honest so should we not be trying our damnest win this competition. 

So go for it 

I agree. Any silverware would be great, plus the cash. Tough match this, so put out a strong side , with Taylor starting . I know it’s a poor competition, but the closer we get to Wembley , the better it gets. UTV 

• Like 1

Advert:

33 minutes ago, Houston Valiant said:

I agree. Any silverware would be great, plus the cash. Tough match this, so put out a strong side , with Taylor starting . I know it’s a poor competition, but the closer we get to Wembley , the better it gets. UTV 

"Houston, we haven't a problem!" Completely agree. 40k if we win tomorrow night with a further quarter of a million if we lift the trophy. Surely that alone should determine our endeavours. Momentum also builds. I was just wondering, at Wembley, when the winning Captain is presented with the PizzaKebabBurger Cup will he get the obligatory "and would you like fries with that? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You think the players give a t0ss about the prize money? Given recent antics, and the FA cup showing, they are in it for themselves only.

"Houston, we haven't a problem!" Completely agree. 40k if we win tomorrow night with a further quarter of a million if we lift the trophy. Surely that alone should determine our endeavours. Momentum also builds. I was just wondering, at Wembley, when the winning Captain is presented with the PizzaKebabBurger Cup will he get the obligatory "and would you like fries with that? 
  • Thanks 1