onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLT R3 Sunderland v Port Vale

Fosse69

Didn't watch tonight as never thought it would be a fun watch.
What does disappoint me looking at the game stats is what seems to be a complete lack of "giving it a go" 17 corners to our 0, 20 attempts at goal with 9 on target compared to our 5 with 0 on target. Looks like we really couldn't be bothered.
Yes they have far greater resources to call on but they're mid table league 1 and there for a reason. Just sums up modern day football for me. Its a game played on laptops, football by numbers! we go to higher placed clubs with a losing mentality. We used to have a great cup fighting tradition. Now it's anything but.
Not going to criticise Danny Pugh too much as I'm sure he is focusing on Saturday but tonight just sums up the way we roll over and wait for our bellies to be tickled.

Advert

5 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

The exact same comments were made when Foyle was sacked and it was given to Glover - I can clearly remember Bratt saying "Dean deserves a chance". God knows why he deserved it, as he'd shown naff-all as assistant and caretaker?!

Now, if Pugh is in the position purely because of finances, with the whole pandemic situation and still having to pay off that fat git, then its perfectly understandable.

But to claim that Pugh "deserves" a chance of being manager is just baffling - he's not even served as assistant manager.

I don’t think anyone’s said hes of deserving his chance, but Carols given him the job (it seems) so at least he deserves a fair crack of the whip instead of being written off after 2 games. 

Does anyone else get annoyed with the I didn't pay, I didn't watch, we are better off out of this competition, brigade still spamming the place? If any of the above then shut up.

For those of us who did pay to watch, and who did want us to win, it was a poor effort. Not Pugh out. But a poor effort putting all our failings this season on a plate.

"If any of the above then shut up."  

We are all entitled to our opinions - just saying shut up isn't exactly helpful! You are frustrated like we all are. I understand all the frustrated comments above who you want to shut up, but it has been a grim couple of months watching this side, and realising they are just not good enough.  We all want Vale to win, but going out of this trophy IF it helps us get up the league is fine by me - and one less chance to have players injured, given our injury record in it.  Other teams just seem to have a bit of bite in them when the chips are down - it's sad watching us surrender at present.  

34 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Won’t lose sleep over that, huge changes and they had the likes of Power, Gooch etc and threw on McGeady and Leadbetter.

Defended well in the main which was pleasing, annoyed at their first goal though as we pissed around with a free kick deep in their half.

Joyce, Worrall and Rodney play it’s probably a different game so no over reaction here.

What happened to Hurst shows the decision to rest key players was sensible, we lost a load in the Wolves game which screwed us over Xmas.

Whitehead was poor, Robinson didn’t take his chance although clear he isn’t suited to the way we play.

Taylor did well, Monty was good and thought Smith was decent tonight.

Overall good workout against top opposition but with the injuries we’ve had il not be downbeat at not having to play anymore games in this!

Totally agree with this.  All the back 4 generally played well under the heavy pressure they were often under.  I thought Taylor improved us when he came on, far more mobile and competitive than Whitehead.  Sunderland looked cut above.  We still need a striker.

14 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I don’t think anyone’s said hes of deserving his chance, but Carols given him the job (it seems) so at least he deserves a fair crack of the whip instead of being written off after 2 games. 

Fair enough. You're right.

Caretaker managers usually get a few weeks to a month or so, while the selection process is ongoing (in 'normal' times).

If Carol has given him the job until the end of the season though, that's 24 League games (from Askey going) - that's a lot of Caretaking!

Truth is we made Sunderland look much better than they actually are. Too many players tonight simply couldn't be arsed - They should all be breaking their necks to impress Pugh or any manager in waiting. I'd much rather have seen us give it a real go and get beat 5 or 6 than bend over and take it up the rear from kick-off and give them the most comfortable 2-0 victory they'll have this season. Some of our players are stealing a living. 

54 minutes ago, Lornelounger said:

"If any of the above then shut up."  

We are all entitled to our opinions - just saying shut up isn't exactly helpful! You are frustrated like we all are. I understand all the frustrated comments above who you want to shut up, but it has been a grim couple of months watching this side, and realising they are just not good enough.  We all want Vale to win, but going out of this trophy IF it helps us get up the league is fine by me - and one less chance to have players injured, given our injury record in it.  Other teams just seem to have a bit of bite in them when the chips are down - it's sad watching us surrender at present.  

Sorry. My point was that if you did not watch the game. If you wanted us out of this competition, you have a different perspective on the game. Everyone is for sure entitled to their opinion. But I kind of find it frustrating discussing it with people who did not watch. And even boast that they did not. Pass comment on the game if you watched it. If you didn't want to pay 10 quid fair enough. But then shut up.

I might be overthinking things but maybe if I was a caretaker manager and I wanted the job full time, I'd probably take a respectable looking defeat against a higher division club over opening the game up and risking a good hiding.

We go again.

5 minutes ago, Santa said:

I might be overthinking things but maybe if I was a caretaker manager and I wanted the job full time, I'd probably take a respectable looking defeat against a higher division club over opening the game up and risking a good hiding.

We go again.

That phrase seems to be imprinted throughout the club from top to bottom. No wonder we get nowhere. 

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

Truth is we made Sunderland look much better than they actually are. Too many players tonight simply couldn't be arsed - They should all be breaking their necks to impress Pugh or any manager in waiting. I'd much rather have seen us give it a real go and get beat 5 or 6 than bend over and take it up the rear from kick-off and give them the most comfortable 2-0 victory they'll have this season. Some of our players are stealing a living. 

Can tell you right now if we lost 5:0 and went for it you and a lot of other people would be calling for pugh to go and get someone else in hahah

really dont get the major disappointment with tonight its a toss cup which not many teams take seriously 

lets see how the boys play on saturday and then make a judgment. 

to think pugh or any other manager would come in and get this team playing exciting attacking football after the run weve been on is unrealistic and fantasy land its going to take time whoever's in charge 

but you cant question that pugh isnt getting more out of the players than askey was he definitely is. 

win on Saturday and we will have won back to back league games something weve not done in months 

give him a couple of weeks to see how we get on before berating carol for sticking with him for the remainder of the season if we win a few on the bounce things will deffo be looking a lot better than it is now

6 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Can tell you right now if we lost 5:0 and went for it you and a lot of other people would be calling for pugh to go and get someone else in hahah

really dont get the major disappointment with tonight its a toss cup which not many teams take seriously 

lets see how the boys play on saturday and then make a judgment. 

to think pugh or any other manager would come in and get this team playing exciting attacking football after the run weve been on is unrealistic and fantasy land its going to take time whoever's in charge 

but you cant question that pugh isnt getting more out of the players than askey was he definitely is. 

win on Saturday and we will have won back to back league games something weve not done in months 

give him a couple of weeks to see how we get on before berating carol for sticking with him for the remainder of the season if we win a few on the bounce things will deffo be looking a lot better than it is now

There are ways to lose football matches and that was not one of them but for some poor finishing, good luck for us, we could have lost that game 5 or 6 quite easily.  

I didnt expect us to be exciting, we never are but I expected a bit more fight than what we showed, some players are just rubbish and then others still for me are not giving 100%, don't like saying that but I felt that watching the game.

Yes we got that win at the weekend against a very poor Grimsby side, lets see how we fare against a much better Forest Green side at the weekend.

Archived