onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLT R3 Sunderland v Port Vale

Fosse69

I just can’t see Pugh as manager working, he won’t be afforded time by fans. One bad run of results and fans will turn against him, rightly or wrongly. The same phrases will come out; ‘cheap option’, ‘easy option’, ‘need experience’, ‘missed opportunity’, ‘need an external appointment’. 

Advert

1 minute ago, SuperHuman said:

I just can’t see Pugh as manager working, he won’t be afforded time by fans. One bad run of results and fans will turn against him, rightly or wrongly. The same phrases will come out; ‘cheap option’, ‘easy option’, ‘need experience’, ‘missed opportunity’, ‘need an external appointment’. 

He won’t be given a fair crack of the whip at all. 

4 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

Let’s face it he would be a cheap option 

12 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

I don’t think he needed to look at some of them tonight to see they’re sh-te he’s coached for how long 

Makes me wonder what the previous manager did all day, did Askey have any input in coaching ?

Won’t lose sleep over that, huge changes and they had the likes of Power, Gooch etc and threw on McGeady and Leadbetter.

Defended well in the main which was pleasing, annoyed at their first goal though as we pissed around with a free kick deep in their half.

Joyce, Worrall and Rodney play it’s probably a different game so no over reaction here.

What happened to Hurst shows the decision to rest key players was sensible, we lost a load in the Wolves game which screwed us over Xmas.

Whitehead was poor, Robinson didn’t take his chance although clear he isn’t suited to the way we play.

Taylor did well, Monty was good and thought Smith was decent tonight.

Overall good workout against top opposition but with the injuries we’ve had il not be downbeat at not having to play anymore games in this!

Arguably every player deserves a chance under a new regime. But from that tonight can any of the players that didn’t play last Saturday come out of it saying they should be starting the game at the weekend against Forest Green? Visser, Crookes, Amoo, Whitehead, Robinson all spring to mind as players who can’t really go knocking on the managers door demanding to start on Saturday. Besides that there will be probably be at least 7 of them who won’t be regular starters anyway. 

I quite liked JA and some of the football we played in his time in charge. His short-comings (only had a plan A, didn't react to opposition subs and changes in tactics) lost him his job. He came across as a "nice bloke".

The whole ethos on the football pitch is "too nice". JA always said "don't get too carried away when we win, don't get too down when we lose".

I've had enough of that. I want a Micky Adams type of manager that is visibly bullish when we win and goes ape <ovf censored> when we lose and gets a reaction from the players. Good managers rarely lose two games in succession. 

Add some steel in central midfield, ideally an Andy Porter type to stamp his authority on the pitch (in place of Joyce who has been poor this season) and we will start winning more games of football. 

I'm a fan of PVFC and I'm on top of the world when we win and hate, HATE it when we lose, regardless of the opposition or competition. 

I'll calm down by Friday (probably) but I'm not happy at all tonight with that starting team or formation. 

If we get a decent manager to instill a winning mentality into the players then we'll pick up and start climbing the league. 

I don't think DP is the man personally. He's effectively auditioning for the job and tonight was unacceptable, limping out of the cup with a whimper, no fight, against a bang average L1 side with a team full of very overpaid failures playing for them.

48 minutes ago, MBE said:

I really don't understand the negativity and over reaction tonight.This match was an ideal opportunity for Pugh to take look at some of the fringe players to see what they are all about with him in charge.

Why would Danny Pugh, who has been at the club for nearly 4 years and has been a coach for 2, need to take a look at some of the players? He should have an absolutely perfect knowledge of every player in there. 

10 minutes ago, TylerB said:

He's done nothing to really deserve a crack of the whip. 

The exact same comments were made when Foyle was sacked and it was given to Glover - I can clearly remember Bratt saying "Dean deserves a chance". God knows why he deserved it, as he'd shown naff-all as assistant and caretaker?!

Now, if Pugh is in the position purely because of finances, with the whole pandemic situation and still having to pay off that fat git, then its perfectly understandable.

But to claim that Pugh "deserves" a chance of being manager is just baffling - he's not even served as assistant manager.

We can argue about the semantics of tonight's game, but I don't think it's fair to lambast Vale fans to want to see their team compete and attempt to win a football game. We've lost a ridiculous amount of games in recent times and it's pretty demoralising, especially watching football in such sterile and depressing circumstances, £10 a pop.

It's been a distinctly unpleasant few months, with Stoke and Crewe doing well. We had an opportunity in this competition to achieve something. We've lost loads of games in either shambolic, embarrassing, or insipid circumstances, and I'm getting a bit tired of it. 

I just thought we'd have a go tonight, and I could sit down and enjoy a decent game of knockout football with my old man, and I'd at least think the players look up for it. That didn't happen, and seemed to be an active decision to play the game in such a cautious, 'doesn't matter if we lose' way. That, or they were up for it and they're just even worse than we thought.

Is it a big deal to be out of the Papa John's? Not really. Did I expect us to win? No. Did I think we could make a decent game of it? Yep.

As I say - if we get a result Saturday, then fair enough. Just heaps the pressure on.

Archived