onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLT R3 Sunderland v Port Vale

Fosse69

Just now, Vale1995 said:

Are you really that bothered we lost? Im guessing hes going to be judged in his league results rather than a tin pot trophy game against a team much better than us

I'm bothered about the performance yes. It smacked a lot of our previous failings. The result, not surprised but the manner was the poor thing. Slag off the pizza trophy as much as you like, but it's the only thing we have an outside chance of winning. Fingers crossed, mid-table L2 here we come.

Advert

3 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Are you really that bothered we lost? Im guessing hes going to be judged in his league results rather than a tin pot trophy game against a team much better than us

Grow up  young un,he's no good for us,just a wage stealer.

1 minute ago, toyahw said:

I'm bothered about the performance yes. It smacked a lot of our previous failings. The result, not surprised but the manner was the poor thing. Slag off the pizza trophy as much as you like, but it's the only thing we have an outside chance of winning. Fingers crossed, mid-table L2 here we come.

Nobody has ever been bothered about winning this but since pugh been in charge its a defining moment being knocked out?

I really don't understand the negativity and over reaction tonight.This match was an ideal opportunity for Pugh to take look at some of the fringe players to see what they are all about with him in charge. It probably re-affirmed in his mind to try and move 2 or 3 on. I'm dead against Pugh getting the job  "until further notice" and think we should be acting quickly to get a new manager in but the club clearly don't...... so its Pugh unless we have another horrendous run of results . I can't see that happening during January as the players know they are playing for the future.

As for the game  it was more like a training session. We went with a game plan to hold our positions and stay with midfield runners to keep in the game as long as possible. Have a go at them towards the end to nick it or take it to penalties. I really don't know what some where expecting when we where playing mostly our reserve players. Defensively it was Ok but didn't keep the ball well enough when we got it back and it isolated Robinson up front. We had a couple of good situations in the 2nd half but didn't make the most of it with bad final ball or poor decision. Even the penalty stemmed from a a potential counter which we turned back towards our goal and made a poor pass. Is it just me or did Amoo look a bit stocky tonight??

I think there is definitely scope for some movement in the squad with the likes of Whitehead but I would also be seriously considering those less obvious like Crookes, Manny, Pope, Cullen, Robinson to try and improve our 1st eleven and match day squad on a regular basis.

I can understand in the league wanting to keep it nice and tight, stay in the game for as long as possible, try and to nick something and not damage your goal difference too much.

In a cup tie though, I dunno, it just feels a bit... what's the point? We might as well have given it a bit of a go.

It was just awful football. I paid £10, yet after 60 mins I switched over to see Sheff United v Newcastle as we were so bad. I couldn’t care less about those two teams! 

We never competed and at no point did I think we would win. 

Blaming managers is one thing but we need a top to bottom audit of all the training methods etc at the club. They simply are not effective. You’d think with all the players kept they would improve at a club, not get worse.

2 minutes ago, MBE said:

I really don't understand the negativity and over reaction tonight.This match was an ideal opportunity for Pugh to take look at some of the fringe players to see what they are all about with him in charge. It probably re-affirmed in his mind to try and move 2 or 3 on. I'm dead against Pugh getting the job  "until further notice" and think we should be acting quickly to get a new manager in but the club clearly don't...... so its Pugh unless we have another horrendous run of results . I can't see that happening during January as the players know they are playing for the future.

As for the game  it was more like a training session. We went with a game plan to hold our positions and stay with midfield runners to keep in the game as long as possible. Have a go at them towards the end to nick it or take it to penalties. I really don't know what some where expecting when we where playing mostly our reserve players. Defensively it was Ok but didn't keep the ball well enough when we got it back and it isolated Robinson up front. We had a couple of good situations in the 2nd half but didn't make the most of it with bad final ball or poor decision. Even the penalty stemmed from a a potential counter which we turned back towards our goal and made a poor pass. Is it just me or did Amoo look a bit stocky tonight??

I think there is definitely scope for some movement in the squad with the likes of Whitehead but I would also be seriously considering those less obvious like Crookes, Manny, Pope, Cullen, Robinson to try and improve our 1st eleven and match day squad on a regular basis.

I don’t think he needed to look at some of them tonight to see they’re sh-te he’s coached for how long 

Joe

My first game was 1956 so there's no way you can cop out now, you are only just starting your sentence!!

Walka003

You named Hurst &Montano as having played most of the game. C'mon as one replaced the other you can have one but not both

I thought we defended well on the whole so the defenders you named as being first team deserve some credit.

Midfield better with Taylor hopefully full 90mins on Saturday.

Up front, you got me, Robinson played like he was self isolating. Amoo disappointing. 

Rodney and Worrall back on Saturday to assist Pope.

At the start of the season we seemed to have the mentality not to give up when s goal down. Getting that back is probably one of Pugh's biggest targets.

30 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

No point in giving him a chance this season , might as well get rid of him now . Every sub , performance , formation will be heavily criticised just because he’s not the people’s choice

I think your are spot on especially whilst Pugh is not confirmed as the manager.

48 minutes ago, Doha said:

Bit of a strange comment. Strange in the sense of 'agenda' is a bit strong.

After what we've had to put up with over the years, what is so radical about wanting an experienced outside manager for once rather than the cheap option?

I wouldn't call that an agenda. I'd call it exasperated weariness. 

Not strange at all. I know you’re clever enough to read between the lines of some of the posts during the game. To me they indicate that people had already made up their minds that they don’t want him and that his side tonight is the final nail in the coffin to convince them that he shouldn’t be manager. Posters suggesting that tonight’s side will be an indication of the team he’ll play away from home is just crazy, that side will never play together again in a league match. Also you’re got the more obvious Stoke and Pulis digs going on too.

It would have been stupid to start tonight with Worrall, Pope, Monty, Taylor, Brisley, Brown and Joyce. Let’s not pretend otherwise and let’s not pretend that we’d have been happy to see another manager come in and go for it tonight to the possible detriment of Saturday. In the end yes we played poorly and it’s clear that some players can’t raise their game and force their way into the usual starting 11. But I think Pugh did the right thing and rested players who can make more of an important difference on Saturday. Let’s hope his choice is vindicated come 5pm Saturday. 

Archived