Advert:

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some interesting responses on here to the latest development. I'd like to add some context. In the past TWENTY YEARS we have only achieved a top 7 finish in the league... ONCE. This was under MA

Check out wiki.  He's run the family business with his brother and father for 15 years and has his own football academy.  He's not been "just" a player and manager.  In view of the amount of crit

The meltdown on here is laughable.  Please can someone tell me the success we have had in appointing a manager since Micky left? None. Flitcroft being appointed DoF shows our long term visio

Posted Images

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

I asked that and got the reply of 80k is the average. Don’t mind us playing above that but if true it seems a big jump 

Askey was on way below average if 35k is true, so reality will start to kick in now.

And let's pray Coughlan isn't on it.

My prediction is:

Go back to McGreal, who is either unhappy at being second choice or similarly unhappy with the wage package on offer. Turns us down.

Offer it to Pugh again, he may or may not accept.

If he doesn't, look down the discarded shortlist from last week and pick a name out of them.

Repeate this whole process again this time next year when this manager has us sitting in 18th
  • Like 1

Advert:

Sting seemed to think, at the time The Fat One was appointing him, that the reason it dragged on was that we wouldn't match Askey's £30k demand.

At the time I thought he must want that for the second half of the season he was taking charge for.

The manager is the single most important position at the club. 

I simply cannot see that we will have gone through this process, promised fans experience, a record of success and generally been very specific on what we want, only for us to now begin chatting wages at this stage.

If we are, then I dare say we've not come as far as I thought we had.

If DF is our man, we should only be getting scuppered now by an offer from somewhere else.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

What I would add it that the young defender appears to be very much a Pugh signing which may, or may not, be an indication the route the owners were taking, short term at least.

Better a Pugh signing than no signing, at least they give us options. Pugh is quite capable of looking after the shop, no need for a rush job.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Sting seemed to think, at the time The Fat One was appointing him, that the reason it dragged on was that we wouldn't match Askey's £30k demand.

At the time I thought he must want that for the second half of the season he was taking charge for.

The manager is the single most important position at the club. 

I simply cannot see that we will have gone through this process, promised fans experience, a record of success and generally been very specific on what we want, only for us to now begin chatting wages at this stage.

If we are, then I dare say we've not come as far as I thought we had.

If DF is our man, we should only be getting scuppered now by an offer from somewhere else.

What do you do if somebody wants more than the going rate, more than you think they are worth?

• Like 2

No smoke without fire as the saying goes. Bookies are drifting, normally a good indication of goings on.

Genuinely wouldn't be overly fussed if he's turned us down at all. My only concern is that I do not get the draw of McGreal.

The bloke has managed 1 x league 2 side. A league 2 side that has played in the Championship in the not too distant past. A side you'd expect to be in & around the top 7 in league 2... 

He made the playoffs once & lost... he doesn't tick any of the boxes Carol talked about & I certainly wouldn't have him down as a "proven record of success". I think Carol's comments regarding the remit might come back to bite.

• Like 3

Just now, Fosse69 said:

What do you do if somebody wants more than the going rate, more than you think they are worth?

I wouldn't be breaking the bank if it was genuinely farcical.  I'm of the thinking that if our top earning players are on 120k (and I'm not clued up on this so please don't hold me to that) then 130k for the manager doesn't seem unrealistic. In fact I'd say it's a negligible difference for the jump in importance/responsibility at our level.

It would be different if the players were on half that. Massive difference then and you could argue out of sync with any wage structure we've got.

That's why I cant understand wage demands being a surprise now, unless we've gone in with a blank canvas and now we're negotiating.

But, if that's the case, I'd question why we've gone public with our criteria.  Experience and success cost a decent rate.  To now turn round and say we aren't going to meet demands would seem a bit soft after coming out with that.

Of course, it could be that DF (if it is indeed him), indicated one thing at the start and now that's changed. 

That would make it different.

Advert:

57 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Seen it on Facebook he wants 130k a year and we won’t pay it. No idea if that’s a lot for a league 2 manager to be honest. Must be a long way off with our offer or not that interested?

Not you but i love how people know how much he wants

• Like 3

I would have thought that the club knew what the ball park figure for a manager in this league can expect plus all the add ons, car, BUPA, travelling expenses etc. So I dont believe they went through an interview process with candidates and then are surprised by salary expectations, I don't believe Synetics would be so naive. It could be he's come back for more ...Who knows ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

No smoke without fire as the saying goes. Bookies are drifting, normally a good indication of goings on.

Genuinely wouldn't be overly fussed if he's turned us down at all. My only concern is that I do not get the draw of McGreal.

The bloke has managed 1 x league 2 side. A league 2 side that has played in the Championship in the not too distant past. A side you'd expect to be in & around the top 7 in league 2... 

He made the playoffs once & lost... he doesn't tick any of the boxes Carol talked about & I certainly wouldn't have him down as a "proven record of success". I think Carol's comments regarding the remit might come back to bite.

This could be a problem Carol will have after stating the new manager WILL be experienced and successful(thats not McGreal as you say) and lets be honest if you want those things in a manager then in reality you have to pay for them

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:

I can't really say where from mate, but as far as I have been told by a pretty good source, unless we up our offer it's McGreal or bust.

I really hope thats untrue.  Will be very unhappy with McGreal.

When will we realise we need to invest in manager? FFS

Makes me think the club are desperate to get a few results with Pugh and hand him the job until the end of the season. That was clearly plan a/ until we had some dodgy results and performances whilst he was isolating for covid.

Edited by MBE

£100k seems cheap given that it will probably be less than we are paying Robinson to sit on his rear for two years. 

I doubt the quibble would ever be over wages. More likely the budget or other  job related issues. 

If Askey really was on £35k that’s ridiculous. Tight beggars! 

Advert:

Better to stick with Pugh than hire out of desperation. They’d have to win 3 in every 4 to get near the playoffs now anyway. Pugh would get enough to points to stay up and there’s no TW to play with now. Looks like we’ve made some good signings. Save the money if we can’t get who Carol really wanted. There will be 20 extra names in the hat in the summer when their current seasons go A over T.

Edited by 1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

I wouldn't be breaking the bank if it was genuinely farcical.  I'm of the thinking that if our top earning players are on 120k (and I'm not clued up on this so please don't hold me to that) then 130k for the manager doesn't seem unrealistic. In fact I'd say it's a negligible difference for the jump in importance/responsibility at our level.

It would be different if the players were on half that. Massive difference then and you could argue out of sync with any wage structure we've got.

That's why I cant understand wage demands being a surprise now, unless we've gone in with a blank canvas and now we're negotiating.

But, if that's the case, I'd question why we've gone public with our criteria.  Experience and success cost a decent rate.  To now turn round and say we aren't going to meet demands would seem a bit soft after coming out with that.

Of course, it could be that DF (if it is indeed him), indicated one thing at the start and now that's changed. 

That would make it different.

It may well be just negotiating tactics, or not, I don`t know  how much L2 players are paid, but it will reduce with the budget limits. 

1 minute ago, TJHValiant said:

£100k seems cheap given that it will probably be less than we are paying Robinson to sit on his rear for two years. 

I doubt the quibble would ever be over wages. More likely the budget or other  job related issues. 

If Askey really was on £35k that’s ridiculous. Tight beggars! 

I think it was the big blue barsteward that was offering 35k. He was given an improved deal by Carole (no where near the Flitcroft numbers mind you).