Jump to content

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Volcano said:

If we’re looking at the style of play, it shouldn’t be the clown who turns up thinking that they can play like Pep Guardiola in league 2, that style won’t work in this league. 

The style should suit our key attacking players; David Worrall (our most creative), Kurtis Guthrie (our main striker) and the two youngsters that we’ve signed on long term contracts (Devante Rodney & Jake Taylor).

With the signing of Jake Taylor, I think the way forward is a continuation of our progress since Askey first came in, with the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 formation suiting Jake Taylor in particular as it appears that he has to play in a midfield three.

John McGreal is a clear and obvious choice, he knows how to get results and how to get into the play-offs in this league and he prefers to play 4-5-1 / 4-3-3.

I’m all for John McGreal, he’s the sensible option, in my opinion.

The only downside is that he’ll probably want to play Theo Robinson after he did well for him at Colchester, but as he is currently de-registered, I think it would be good to wait to 1st Feb to appoint him so that he can’t register him 🤣.

Kurtis Guthrie also did well for him in his first season at Colchester, got 12 goals in 36 appearances. 

I thought once deregistered Robinson couldn’t be reregistered again. I stand to be corrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some interesting responses on here to the latest development. I'd like to add some context. In the past TWENTY YEARS we have only achieved a top 7 finish in the league... ONCE. This was under MA

Check out wiki.  He's run the family business with his brother and father for 15 years and has his own football academy.  He's not been "just" a player and manager.  In view of the amount of crit

The meltdown on here is laughable.  Please can someone tell me the success we have had in appointing a manager since Micky left? None. Flitcroft being appointed DoF shows our long term visio

Posted Images

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

He doesn't fit in with anything she has said so i am confident it wont be him

It really does depend on what your definition of success is though. What was Coughlan's remit at Bristol. Mid table, reduce the budget and develop youth?

Did he do that/  I don't know but he certainly secure L1 mid table before clearly failing at Mansfield where his remit was promotion.

I'm not advocating anyone but there are quite a few managers I could look at and say they are successful but have not won a promotion from the league.

Its a question I would like the media to ask. What is the barometer of previous success? Developing youth, making a profit from developed players, previous promotion, managing tight budget, establish team in higher league etc. Most fans would automatically think promotion but  maybe the club are thinking slightly different.

Of course there is ambition to grow the club and climb the leagues - I'm questioning how? It could be steady through a development team or a win now scenario and we need promotion next season rather scouting and signing proven players.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What style of Football does Flitcroft play. Anybody know
He's been blessed with clubs that give him a blank chequebook in Bury and Mansfield so hard to say.

His Bury team was a real footballing side but expensively assembled with the likes of Danny Mayor, Jay O'Shea and Nicky Maynard.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


21 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

He's been blessed with clubs that give him a blank chequebook in Bury and Mansfield so hard to say.

His Bury team was a real footballing side but expensively assembled with the likes of Danny Mayor, Jay O'Shea and Nicky Maynard.

He never had much cash at Chorley:

"Flitcroft was hugely successful at Chorley, earning them two promotions - as Northern Premier League Division One play-off winners in 2010–11 and then Premier Division Champions in 2013–14. ... On 2 July 2015, Flitcroft stepped down as manager and his assistant Matt Jansen was put in charge".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d be very happy with flitcroft. Good manager. Derek adams would still be my number 1 (realistic) choice. 
 

Agree with an earlier post re success. It depends how you view it. It could be that a manager has worked wonders with the youth and exceeded expectations to get say a mid table finish as opposed to promotion 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe B said:

She clearly loves Pugh and he's be going nowhere. 'Needs time to grow before he can be the manager'.

It sounds like he doesn't want to be put forward, and hasn't applied. 

Makes the previous decision to essentially back him for the season  even stranger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Volcano said:

If we’re looking at the style of play, it shouldn’t be the clown who turns up thinking that they can play like Pep Guardiola in league 2, that style won’t work in this league. 

The style should suit our key attacking players; David Worrall (our most creative), Kurtis Guthrie (our main striker) and the two youngsters that we’ve signed on long term contracts (Devante Rodney & Jake Taylor).

With the signing of Jake Taylor, I think the way forward is a continuation of our progress since Askey first came in, with the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 formation suiting Jake Taylor in particular as it appears that he has to play in a midfield three.

John McGreal is a clear and obvious choice, he knows how to get results and how to get into the play-offs in this league and he prefers to play 4-5-1 / 4-3-3.

I’m all for John McGreal, he’s the sensible option, in my opinion.

The only downside is that he’ll probably want to play Theo Robinson after he did well for him at Colchester, but as he is currently de-registered, I think it would be good to wait to 1st Feb to appoint him so that he can’t register him 🤣.

Kurtis Guthrie also did well for him in his first season at Colchester, got 12 goals in 36 appearances. 

My preference would be for Derek Adams but I've always been impressed with McGreal. Every time we've been down to Colchester, he's given us a run for our money and I always wondered how he managed to get so much out of such a limited squad. I guess the answer is because he's a pretty good manager. Impressive.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Promotion with Ross County

Promotion with Plymouth

Chasing promotion with Morecambe

There's a pattern emerging here

My 3 names for the next Manager at Vale Park are 

Derek        Watt        Adams

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


My preference would be someone who can keep us in the league. Sod the style of play and building a "philosophy" for now. We'll think about that when we are still in the league.

At the moment we are on a one way ticket to oblivion.

Edited by toyahw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to that, I'd say posters on here have got it wrong in saying Carol doesn't want Pugh to get it. I'd say she originally wanted him to be manager because of how the Players like him. The only reason he won't is because he himself doesn't want it at the mo. I'd actually not count him out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p095f9bd?s=07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Derek Adams has a fantastic record and I get why he's everyones choice but I'm not sure I'd enjoy watching vale play like they did when we played them every week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


19 minutes ago, Tean Vale said:

I've seen and heard a few people mention Stephen Robinson now, ex Motherwell.

Anyone know much about him?

Did a great job last year, finishing third, but it all fell apart this year and he left saying he couldn't take them any further. Foyle works there and I think Robinson spoke highly of him.

Has links to Spurs, Bournemouth so would fit the bill. Had a ropey spell at Oldham a few years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dishydave said:

Derek Adams has a fantastic record and I get why he's everyones choice but I'm not sure I'd enjoy watching vale play like they did when we played them every week.

Vale have been so bad for so long that, whilst nice football would be great, I just want to win some games and see some promotions. I could deal with Pulisball. Just win some games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Moderators don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking (e.g. personal abuse) - use the orange report button above a post to alert them.

    If you can't get on with another forum user you can select the "ignore" option. Simply click on the link below, type in their username and save - Click here




×
×
  • Create New...