Jump to content

Next Manager


davehartshill

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, dantheman said:

For whatever reason we just never seem to get this kind of appointment right. It’s never a steady ship like an Exeter or Colchester etc where they are in and around the right end of the table. 

I agree, but our failures before have come under the tenures of Bratt and Smurthwaite.

Here's hoping this go is a bit better - as it sounds like we've got 'Pughy' until May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Developing ex-academy/U21/23 players ?

I was really excited when we went down that path and gutted we ended it so soon. I’m pretty sure it paid for itself with just hugill and if enoch hadn’t been injured we would have made more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Just as a counterpoint to the 'no internal appointments' view; Mark Bonner of Cambridge (4th) and Mike Flynn of Newport (2nd) were both internally appointed after their boss was sacked.

Not saying at all this bodes well for Pugh - just that sometimes such a move can be successful. Both operated as caretakers and were successful before getting the job permanently. 

Will agree with this. It really is most important that the manager, chairman and all other club staff are in sync. There are plenty of success stories of managers in the their 1st job, as well as appointing experienced managers. Getting the right fit, structure and support are way more important than if someone has been a manager before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Slightly dissapointed, I don’t want us to go down this internal route again. I wanted someone from outside the club to come and change it up a bit. I wish pugh well but kind of feel if we were doing this we may have well stuck with askey 

Its not on a permanent basis its clear she wants to just get through this season and then evaluate. When a new manager can come in bring in players he wants. Which gives pugh a chance to make a stake for himself or will be clear we need to get someone in. 
 

i back carols decision making of not wanting to rush into a decision 

Edited by Vale1995
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Slightly dissapointed, I don’t want us to go down this internal route again. I wanted someone from outside the club to come and change it up a bit. I wish pugh well but kind of feel if we were doing this we may have well stuck with askey 

The worry is he does ok the. Gets the summer, puts a squad together then it goes belly up and we end up back where we were. 

No saying that it wouldn’t happen with an experienced manager either mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Its not on a permanent basis its clear she wants to just get through this season and then evaluate. When a new manager can come in bring in players he wants. Which gives pugh a chance to make a stake for himself or will be clear we need to get someone in. 
 

i back carols decision making of not wanting to rush into a decision 

So who’s signing players this month? Pugh or someone else? Then if we do rubbish a new manager has to come in and have a larger clear-out. Find it disappointing personally we need a decent manager and there’s quite a few out there. We shouldn’t rush but I would have thought interviews should have started behind the scenes and within another 1/2 games be ready to make a decision. 
 

lose poorly against forest green and fans will start going nuts again. 
 

Again I wanted Askey out but I just don’t see worth in sacking Askey to let pugh have it for the season. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

So who’s signing players this month? Pugh or someone else? Then if we do rubbish a new manager has to come in and have a larger clear-out. Find it disappointing personally we need a decent manager and there’s quite a few out there. We shouldn’t rush but I would have thought interviews should have started behind the scenes and within another 1/2 games be ready to make a decision. 
 

lose poorly against forest green and fans will start going nuts again. 
 

Again I wanted Askey out but I just don’t see worth in sacking Askey to let pugh have it for the season. 

Well the grimsby game is evidence on why pugh is better thank askey he can clearly motivate the players and get them playing again so thats why it was worth sacking him. Im guessing they have been looking at players for months now and as carol said in the interview that hasnt changed because askey is gone both pugh and sinclair will have ideas on what players to bring in that could help us throughout this season.

 

but her thinking is clearly who can get the most out of this current squad and she obviously feels pugh can. Now then in summer she will re evaluate whos is most likely to put a squad together and take the club forward and that's when she might decide to bring in someone new. 
 

if the players get on board with pugh and put 100% in for him then i doubt someone new will get more out of them than him and theres the chance someone new comea in and doesnt do well. So if pugh can get results till the end of the season and then we decide thats good enough for me

Edited by Vale1995
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

So who’s signing players this month? Pugh or someone else? Then if we do rubbish a new manager has to come in and have a larger clear-out. Find it disappointing personally we need a decent manager and there’s quite a few out there. We shouldn’t rush but I would have thought interviews should have started behind the scenes and within another 1/2 games be ready to make a decision. 
 

lose poorly against forest green and fans will start going nuts again. 
 

Again I wanted Askey out but I just don’t see worth in sacking Askey to let pugh have it for the season. 

I do tend to agree that she should have waited more than one game to come out and be so open about her intentions.

Win a few games, get a couple of players in; then say Pugh is probably the man etc.

Tensions are still quite high, and many are still angry at the collapse of the players throughout December. Hope the next two games pass without disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Just as a counterpoint to the 'no internal appointments' view; Mark Bonner of Cambridge (4th) and Mike Flynn of Newport (2nd) were both internally appointed after their boss was sacked.

Not saying at all this bodes well for Pugh - just that sometimes such a move can be successful. Both operated as caretakers and were successful before getting the job permanently. 

Spot on.  There’s no reason at all it can’t work with Pugh, just as there’s no guarantee it’ll work for him, or any other appointment for that matter.

It makes absolute sense to give someone from within the club a crack at it whilst in the background we can interview and do our due diligence with favoured applicants, who, depending upon the teams results, and the suitability of potential candidates, we may not even need to spend out on.

That said, and no disrespect to DP, but personally I’d like to think that if we could attract a real stand out candidate, on a sensible, affordable contract, we’d go down that route, but in fairness, if the results and performances improve, DP has earned the right to continue in the role this season and see where he takes us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...