onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

davehartshill

3 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

I've noticed that the youth team results have been really bad this season.

Is Sinclair in charge of coaching the youth team (not sure what his role actually is - Development Manager or something similar? - supposedly bridging the gap between youth team to 1st team squad?)

Since he's come into the club, things have gone <ovf censored> up.

I wouldn't let him manage a team on Football Manager.

Advert

16 hours ago, Birches Head Fred said:

No worries bud, my first sentence wasn't aimed at either you or your post, more so at the numpties who think Carol should be telling US everyone she sneezes emoji6.png.
Personally I would happily see us sign no-one this transfer window and instead take the time to get the right manager in for the long term good of the club.
Yes it would be nice to appoint someone tomorrow and have time for some transfers but if we have to wait to get the right candidate then so be it.
Just my opinion bud, no more or less valid than yours or anyone else's emoji16.png

No qualms at all with that statement. I think we're 'on the same page' inasmuch as we both want what's best for the club!

Assessing a manager by his personality as portrayed to us is wrong.  We don't know what they are really like. Just because someone doesn't run up and down the touchline doesn't mean he isn't passionate and thoughtful. And with a coaching team behind him there is always room for the good cop-bad cop routine.
Sir Alf Ramsay? I don't think the likes of Paisley and Busby were loud, bombastic, demonstrative people either but they got the job done. John Rudge too.
Just trust the owners to do their due diligence.

I don’t care if they jump up and down - it’s the results that count.
To be honest it’s embarrassing sometimes seeing managers antics on the touch line, I’d rather they kept the ranting to the dressing room as long as the team does well.

45 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

If its the quality of the footballer that matters, Heskey played over 60 times for England. There aren’t many players who achieve that.

Ferguson, Wenger, Benitez, Mourinho, Klopp, certainly didn't.  Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore and Alan Ball did!!

9 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Ferguson, Wenger, Benitez, Mourinho, Klopp, certainly didn't.  Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore and Alan Ball did!!

I know. My point wasn’t that it made you a better manager, it was that if you are going to use the quality of a player as a way to judge a manager, then his is pretty good. I wouldn’t judge a manager that way, which again leads to how ultimately we have no idea how well a manager is going to do if they are new to the game. 

1 hour ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

I've noticed that the youth team results have been really bad this season.

Is Sinclair in charge of coaching the youth team (not sure what his role actually is - Development Manager or something similar? - supposedly bridging the gap between youth team to 1st team squad?)

Got to be honest mate, I'm not personally 100% sure.

He does have a big (evidently negative) influence.  

Should definitely not be anywhere near consideration for the role of first team manager.

1 hour ago, davehartshill said:

Danny Pugh flying in to 6/4 favourite at the moment. I wouldn’t mind Pugh if we were to appoint a more experienced assistant with him. I’d defo prefer Pugh over Sinclair who failed two steps below us. 

As far as I’m concerned I wish Pugh all the best.  It’s about points on the board not personalities. He’s in the hot seat and if he does well enough he earns the right to keep the job, but given the position we’re in he’s got to turn things around pronto for that to happen.

5 minutes ago, blackdog said:

All this debate and opinion about the new manager/coach should he be this or that, just proves what a difficult job Carol has, it won't matter who is successful she will come under fire. 

Absolutely correct.  Unfortunately not all fans seem realise that the next manager is not automatically going to be any better than the last.  Hopefully whoever gets the job can have an immediate impact and we can’t start looking up the table again.

5 hours ago, 1 said:

need to sort is out ASAP so they have a few weeks of the window left. Might as well leave it with Pugh for the season if we can’t get the right person in a week or so.

Not someone i would of wanted but maybe Pugh would be better option than we think(better than sinclair or Heskey i mean),i guess we will find out tomorrow with how they play/system and how they play for him but if you are going go down the young coach route then why not i suppose

I just want to win some games of football. Not arsed who does it. 

With Alexander out of the picture, we're largely looking at experienced men who've had as many failures as successes. We could go either way.

Same goes for a rookie manager. Managerial appointments at this level are always a gamble to some degree, as they're either managers coming off a poor job (which we could be next for), or managers with little grounding.

This perfect, harmonious appointment of 'experience + lots of success' doesn't exist. Cowleys, Cook etc are getting linked with Championship clubs. Danny Cowley is turning down Wednesday because of their nuts owner. They're not coming to Port Vale.

Whoever we appoint, people will have ammunition to criticise - and fair enough. The manager will either be coming off a recent failure, be a rookie we haven't heard of, or be Danny Pugh. There's no chance this appointment is universally seen, on appointment, to be a masterstroke.

I trust Carol to do her due diligence and appoint a manager who can, at least, get a better tune out of the few good players have to get comfortable, and then play long-term.

I do, however, always question internal appointments after a failure. Surely that person is at least partly culpable for said failure? Unless they were having no impact and ignoring their job remit, they should have been helping us to win games.

My personal view we should use this opportunity, ahead of the salary cap and with a squad at the end of its opportunity window, to clear house and revitalise the entire club with a clear recruitment identity. I'd go as far as appointing a Director of Football who sets the overarching principles for the club up, guides recruitment, and focuses on appointing managers who fit this structure. This avoids the turmoil after every change. The manager fits the club, and not vice versa. Football managers mostly change every 2 years, so having some form of identity to tether yourself to can help. Of course, the manager works within this structure to implement his own ideas. Crewe aren't a million miles off; their DoF is 'the academy', and all managers must commit to playing football which suits their young talent, and giving their young talent minutes at all costs. They'd never appoint Micky Adams, even if he was the best 'candidate', as they have principles to adhere to and that helps them stability wise.

We currently don't know what sort of club we are/want to be; a youth production club? a selling club? a 'winning at all costs' club? Build the foundations.

It's all pie in the sky like, and me chatting sh*t, and costs a load of money. 

Archived